Is Chaosium going to support BRP anymore?

danbuter

Who put the gun to their heads and forced them to sell RQ to AH?

No one. But then, they did not sell RuneQuest to Avalon Hill.

I think Shannon Appelcline's account is pretty reliable, as is Pete Maranici's History of RuneQuest.

Lord knows they have got things wrong in the past, and they need to put some immediate things right at present, but could we not muddy the waters by raking over incorrect versions of history, much of it ten or more years old?

Cheers,

Nick

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Shannon Appelcline's account is pretty reliable, as is Pete Maranici's History of RuneQuest.

Lord knows they have got things wrong in the past, and they need to put some immediate things right at present, but could we not muddy the waters by raking over incorrect versions of history, much of it ten or more years old?

Cheers,

Nick

Hmm, I could have sworn I said that earlier in the thread ... ;)

-V

Who put the gun to thier heads and forced them to sell RQ to AH?

Chasoium gambled on AH and lost.

Nick already gave a very good reply on this subject.

Splitting up into mutiple companies, thier own fault.

I do not want to put the blame on Greg, but they did not split up into multiple companies. Greg left to pursue his own goals with Issaries: history will tell if he was right. But again, no blame on the current Chaosium crew.

Currently, they can be blamed for (yet again) losing the core book author.

Jason never stated he will not work for them any longer.

They are still trying to do things in a manner similar to the way the did things in the 80s, when they should start acting more like an indie publisher. Chaosium hasn't seem to learn how to take advantage of things like print on demand.

And who told you this is the right way to go? They aren't an indie publisher, they are the oldest company on the market since TSR disappeared as a brand. Their current policy is to have indies publish stuff and oversee the quality.

Any hope of BRP taking off and getting some of the popularity that us fans have hoped for since the early 80s is already shot.

Nay. It's in the hands of fans who can provide more mature support than newbies. Us.

I just think they lack the resources to do so.

Should we buy them a lottery ticket and start hoping?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

RosenMcStern

I said in an earlier post that I respect your input and you're definitely in Chasoium's corner in this, which I appreciate. So please don't take this as a challenge, but as a question from someone else that would like to see the BRP succeed. Several of us have thrown out ideas to jumpstart this line, each of them has it's good and bad points for sure, but all of them have the same positive goal.

What, other than wait and see, would do with this line to solve the current problems?

~Dalmuti

They aren't an indie publisher, they are the oldest company on the market since TSR disappeared as a brand.

No, not really, there are several companies alive and well that are older than,

or at least as old as, Chaosium - for example Flying Buffalo and Fantasy Ga-

mes Unlimited, to name just two of them. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

To help inject a little more optimism on this thread, I should state that Chaosium is currently making a big effort to publish BRP material.

I should also say that 'Rome' will be released for BRP, under license (freeing Chaosium to produce more supplements in concert). Whilst RosenMcStern has been defending Chaosium's corner, he very modestly kept quiet about his kind offer to help me publish my manuscript; which thanks to him is now undergoing layout as I type.

So don't despair - even if it was a little belated, support for BRP is coming! :)

No, not really, there are several companies alive and well that are older than, or at least as old as, Chaosium - for example Flying Buffalo and Fantasy Games Unlimited, to name just two of them. :)

FGU stopped publishing in the late 1980's and has only recently started again. Flying Buffalo are, like Chaosium a niche publisher - but Rosen's not wrong to point out that Chaosium is, (bar Flying Buffalo) the ONLY survivor of the seventies first flowering of RPG publishers to have been in continuous operation since then largely intact and with a noticeable continuity of staff. TSR, GDW, MetaGaming, Judges Guild are all gone, changed out of all recognition or bought up by someone else. Cast the net a little wider in hobby gaming and time and you can add SPI, Avalon Hill, Mayfair Games, West End Games, Victory Games etc etc. The fact is that it's a tough business to survive any length of time in, and Chaosium's track record at basic survival is better than the vast majority. Now they just need to prove they can do more than basic survival...

To help inject a little more optimism on this thread, I should state that Chaosium is currently making a big effort to publish BRP material.

I should also say that 'Rome' will be released for BRP, under license (freeing Chaosium to produce more supplements in concert). Whilst RosenMcStern has been defending Chaosium's corner, he very modestly kept quiet about his kind offer to help me publish my manuscript; which thanks to him is now undergoing layout as I type.

So don't despair - even if it was a little belated, support for BRP is coming! :)

Excellent news Pete.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

Well, now that Pete the Author has "spilled the beans", I can add one more detail: barring direct intervention by Nyarlathotep himself, you will have BRP Rome available at Tentacles as a dead tree supplement (200 pp. or more). Non-tentacles attendees will have it available through Chaosium or as a PDF or POD by the same date. So you have yet one more reason to hurry up and book one of those last places available for Castle Stahleck.

That's what I call "third party support". Enough for you fans?

Well, now that Pete the Author has "spilled the beans", I can add one more detail: barring direct intervention by Nyarlathotep himself, you will have BRP Rome available at Tentacles as a dead tree supplement (200 pp. or more). Non-tentacles attendees will have it available through Chaosium or as a PDF or POD by the same date.

Excellent news!

So you have yet one more reason to hurry up and book one of those last places available for Castle Stahleck.

Not someone who attends cons - and since this is the last Tentacles, I leave that place for more dedicated Tentacles fans who want to be there at the final event.

That's what I call "third party support". Enough for you fans?

:D You know the answer to that - of course not! As fans we want Rome, Fractured Hopes, Supernatural Western, BRP Adventure Monograph, The Merchant's Scale, Mythic Iceland, The Covenant of Justice, Fantastical Baroque, Desolation's Edge, Sword & Spell, The Green, Gravequest, The God Machine AND Interplanetary now!. And a BRP Magic book and a BRP Bestiary and a BRP Space and several scenario anthologies and... and... and...

:lol:

More seriously though, this is genuinely positive news - and I hope a positive sign of things to come!

Cheers,

Nick

(feeling more optimistic than I have for a week!)

barring direct intervention by Nyarlathotep himself, you will have BRP Rome available at Tentacles as a dead tree supplement (200 pp. or more).

Maybe a silly question. Will Chaosium also stock dead tree books or is Tentacles the only place to get a paper Rome?

70/420

Jason never stated he will not work for them any longer.

Absolutely correct.

When the matter is resolved (and I am hoping it will be very soon, based on recent communications with Chaosium), I will be thrilled and relieved to get back to work on Interplanetary as a BRP product.

It began as a BRP product, and I have always wanted to see it in support of the core book.

This is great news and thanks to Rosen for stepping up to the plate. I'm very much looking forward to the printed version of this product. I will buy it from Chaosium as I've heard Lulu doesn't provide good service to Canada and buying from Chaosium has worked well for me in the past.

As fans, of course, we will always want more. Will Alephtar Games be considering publishing other 3rd party BRP products, or is this a one-shot? You mentioned before that your own projects do not lend themselves to BRP, if I recall.

As much as I appreciate the fine work that everyone around here has done, I don't think it excuses Chaosium for not communicating well with their fan base. A brief announcement on this site or on their own outlining their intentions for BRP would do a world of good. It's a subject they've been silent on for far too long, even if you (and all the other hard working people around here) have not. They should also update their website to remove references to BRP being released 'later this year' so it doesn't look like a neglected product. Communication alone what have alleviated a lot of the angst that has arisen around here lately.

Anyway, again, great news about Rome - I really hope this new momentum can be sustained. I'll do my part to buy our way out of this recession one printed BRP product at a time, if I can.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Well, now that Pete the Author has "spilled the beans", I can add one more detail: barring direct intervention by Nyarlathotep himself, you will have BRP Rome available at Tentacles as a dead tree supplement (200 pp. or more).

:happy: Good work! Reserve a copy for me at Tentacles! :thumb:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Chaosium gets a stock of printed copies, as per its standard license deal. At least this is the last agreement we made with Charlie. US customers are advised to buy directly from Chaosium, EU ones are morally obliged to come to Tentacles. But we'll also sell it directly via lulu.

But, and this is the big thing as far as I'm concerned will it be available off the shelf of my local gamestore ? I feel that what BRP needs is publicity. When I go into my local Waterstones I see a bunch of 4E D'n'D, some exalted stuff, a few MRQ books and now and again some CoC stuff. What I'd like to see and whats going to get people interested is BRP products on the shelf. Folks like ourselves are going to make the effort to seek out BRP products. The casual gamer or someone new to the hobby may not even be awre of BRP and it's products on the shelf that are going to attract them and draw them in.

Cheers,

Nick

Uh Nick, look at those accounts. AH acquired the rights to RQ.

THat's why AH were able to put out those RQ3 supplements that were not written by Chasoium.

AH owned the rights to RQ, until they let it lapse.

As for "much of it being over ten years old", it does point out how Chasoium has handled things in the past, and also how the and handling things now.

"Too little, too late" is typical for Chaosium. Look at the people who snapped up BRP "Zero". IT took then a long time to get BRP out, and many were worieed that the book would never get released.

At the rate they are putting stuff out, BRP won't survive.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

But, and this is the big thing as far as I'm concerned will it be available off the shelf of my local gamestore ? I feel that what BRP needs is publicity. When I go into my local Waterstones I see a bunch of 4E D'n'D, some exalted stuff, a few MRQ books and now and again some CoC stuff. What I'd like to see and whats going to get people interested is BRP products on the shelf. Folks like ourselves are going to make the effort to seek out BRP products. The casual gamer or someone new to the hobby may not even be awre of BRP and it's products on the shelf that are going to attract them and draw them in.

The biggest issue here is demand. The reseller (Waterstones in your case) has to know that they will be able to sell it in order risk bringing it in, they have to know there is a demand; this is even a bigger issue for many game stores.

If you want to buy from your local bookseller or FLGS, let them know you are interested. Also, have your gaming group go in and tell them too! Perhaps even pull a few people off the street and have them ask after it! ;-)

SDLeary

The biggest issue here is demand. The reseller (Waterstones in your case) has to know that they will be able to sell it in order risk bringing it in, they have to know there is a demand; this is even a bigger issue for many game stores.

If you want to buy from your local bookseller or FLGS, let them know you are interested. Also, have your gaming group go in and tell them too! Perhaps even pull a few people off the street and have them ask after it! ;-)

SDLeary

So, if I go into Waterstones and say in a loud voice " I demand you sell the wonderful BRP and it's many fine supplements do you reckon that'll work then ? :D

Joking aside I take your point, any book dealer or gamestore isn't a charity there's got to be something in it for them as well. If the product doesn't get people to open their wallets and shell out the cash it's simply dead stock as far as they're concerned. As for getting people to go in ask for it, I have done that back in the early 90's when we got our local hobby store to stock RQ3 and Star Fleet battles with that very approach

Ave Peter!

We who are about to buy salute you! :thumb:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Absolutely correct.

When the matter is resolved (and I am hoping it will be very soon, based on recent communications with Chaosium), I will be thrilled and relieved to get back to work on Interplanetary as a BRP product.

It began as a BRP product, and I have always wanted to see it in support of the core book.

I have to admit, this caused my heart to flutter a little. *crosses fingers*

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Will Alephtar Games be considering publishing other 3rd party BRP products, or is this a one-shot? You mentioned before that your own projects do not lend themselves to BRP, if I recall.

Yes, of course. I still wish to publish Stupor Mundi episode two later this year, and this will be MRQ, and we are publishing some sets of paper miniatures. But anything that is D100 compatible is eligible, provided that it takes time for us to make a book since we work mostly on spare time.

As much as I appreciate the fine work that everyone around here has done, I don't think it excuses Chaosium for not communicating well with their fan base. A brief announcement on this site or on their own outlining their intentions for BRP would do a world of good.

I believe Charlie will do this very soon. His prompt reaction to the criticism that was expressed on this site shows that he values his fanbase opinion.

But, and this is the big thing as far as I'm concerned will it be available off the shelf of my local gamestore ? I feel that what BRP needs is publicity.

Unfortunately, I cannot distribute to the FLGS. I have some copies of Stupor Mundi for sale in Turin and Milan shops (the former Stratelibri network) and be sure that you'll find also BRP Rome there, but contacting distributors elsewhwew is beyond my capabilities. Nothin prevents Chaosium from distributing the copies they get through game stores or Amazon, but I think this will not happen this time. Next time maybe.