Common Uses of the Lie Spell in Sartar

RHW

I mean... LIE. Freaking Lie. It's like THE reason to keep a bonded Trickster. "Hello local Lunar census taker/military officer/missionary. Have a beer. Uncle Bobo over there will answer all your questions." Uncle Bobo says:

"Don't worry. All the men here worship Barntar the plow god."

"Let me think. I'd guess the population of this clan is around 500 people. About 200 adults between 18 and 50?"

"Our local militia is about... hmmm... twenty guys? Thirty on a good day."

"We no longer worship Orlanth in this clan."

"We don't want any trouble with the Lunars."

"Of course we didn't steal those cows."

"We paid our taxes last week. This is the receipt." (Hands over forged receipt)

"Kallyr Starbrow? She was eaten by Cragspider. Good riddance."

"I think Delecti has what you're looking for. You should go talk to him. He's super friendly."

"We are not the Sartarites you're looking for."

No wonder the Lunar field intelligence on the military capabilities of the "pacified" tribes is so terrible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Of course, the accomplished trickster will use the Lie spell openly to spread truths, especially uncomfortable truths. It will cause those opposed Lhankor Mhy lawspeakers and Humakti oath guardians to tear their beards and bend their swords trying to disprove what the trickster said.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Of course, the accomplished trickster will use the Lie spell openly to spread truths, especially uncomfortable truths. It will cause those opposed Lhankor Mhy lawspeakers and Humakti oath guardians to tear their beards and bend their swords trying to disprove what the trickster said.

We used Lie to tell the truth on a number of occasions. We mainly used it to convince disbelievers that something happened the way we knew it happened. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 3 weeks later...

Remember implausible lies will be exposed fairly quickly - the example given somewhere is if the Trickster says the sun won't come up the next day, various priests will perform divinations to figure out how to fix whatever the problem is, and will rapidly discover the Trickster was lying.

So even though the lie spell is very powerful, lie works best when the untruth is a little lie.

In any case, you can't rely on a bonded trickster to use lie to your advantage. What if your trickster thinks it would be funny to see you getting butt punished by a bunch of lunar tax demons? Good vengeance for taking your bonded trickster for granted - and for not sharing that delicious pie last freeze day!

My Orlanthi PC has a bonded Trickster that was more or less forced on him. For many sessions, the Trickster, Gisli, was mostly just a pain in the ass, like any good Eurmali. Eventually the player said "what good is this? I feel like he's just a troublemaker." I pointed out that the player was mostly trying to keep Gisli from causing trouble, so Gisli was mostly causing trouble FOR HIM. He got this surprised look on his face and realized that he could use Gisli to cause trouble for other people, which makes Gisli a lot less of a problem. So he started having Gisli use his Outrageous Lie ability to make trouble for Lunars (like the time Gisli spread a rumor that a particular Lunar convert ate babies). 

Then at one point he threatened to punish Gisli for something. Gisli said "If you do that, I'll lie to everyone in the clan and tell them that you ordered me to do that thing that got the chieftain really injured so that you could try to become chieftain yourself." Live by the Trickster, die by the Trickster...

• Like 1

Once Uncle Bobo cast LIE on the PCs and told them they could get into the Hero Plane by climbing up the asshole of the giant Eurmal statue hidden behind Pratt's Falls.*

They did it and they rolled really well and it worked.

Eurmal shit them out on the slopes of the Spike.

*The statue has a tube leading from its mouth to its asshole so the Tricksters can pour stuff** through it for "baptisms."

**No, you do not want to know what sort of stuff.

A lie spell?  As in cheating with magic?  Bah!  That’s what Fast Talk is for.  You never saw Bugs Bunny or Woody Woodpecker resorting to the occult to bamboozle their victims.

”Rabbit Season!”  “Duck Season!”  “Rabbit Season!”  “Duck Season!”

”Actually, Doc, its baseball season.”  “Batter up?”

BLAM!

”You’re despicable!”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

... <ducks>

*BLAM*

"You're despicable!"

Edited by g33k
Because it ain't LooneyTunes action if it happens just once....
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, seneschal said:

A lie spell?  As in cheating with magic?  Bah!  That’s what Fast Talk is for.  You never saw Bugs Bunny or Woody Woodpecker resorting to the occult to bamboozle their victims.

”Rabbit Season!”  “Duck Season!”  “Rabbit Season!”  “Duck Season!”

”Actually, Doc, its baseball season.”  “Batter up?”

BLAM!

”You’re despicable!”

If anyone in popular culture is a Eurmali, its Bugs Bunny.

33 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

and his compadre, the Roadrunner. Sorry Wiley, despite the name you are not the trickster of that story.

They are both tricksters. Or, maybe they are both the same trickster whose "Detach" spell has gone horribly wrong. Always trying to reunite his two halves, always failing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

They are both tricksters. Or, maybe they are both the same trickster whose "Detach" spell has gone horribly wrong. Always trying to reunite his two halves, always failing.

Okay, that's a thought.

It does open up the can of worms that is; the thought of Than Atyar  as trickster, or not.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

"The Chapparal Cock and the Coyote" is an old story that is by some believed to represent the conflict between the malicious and the whimsical sides of the Trickster. Mostly the stories where the whimsical side wins have survived, possibly as some kind of moral lesson, or perhaps more likely because they are funnier to most.

• Like 4

Back to OP...

"Didn't you guys get the missive?" (hand over pretty note in New Pelorian) "The Red Emperor has granted us independence, and you guys are required to hand over your weapons and return to Furthest... ASAP".

Or, "The Sun Domers have revolted and tried to raise Glamour - you are ordered to raze the Sun Dome Temple down south as retribution".

• Like 2

Lies that have the benefit of being close enough to true that they are going to be hard to disprove:

"Tatius the Bright is trying to make himself into a Yelmic Emperor! He must be stopped!"

"Argrath is a reincarnation of Arkat the Destroyer! He will betray us all."

"Your unit is scheduled to be fed to the Crimson Bat! Desert while you can."

"Moonson is secretly an ogre who uses the Eternal Party to impregnate countless women with chaos spawn!"*

"Kallyr has returned to life to claim the throne of Sartar."

*Many Lunars won't care about this.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, RHW said:

Lies that have the benefit of being close enough to true that they are going to be hard to disprove:

"Tatius the Bright is trying to make himself into a Yelmic Emperor! He must be stopped!"

"Argrath is a reincarnation of Arkat the Destroyer! He will betray us all."

"Your unit is scheduled to be fed to the Crimson Bat! Desert while you can."

"Moonson is secretly an ogre who uses the Eternal Party to impregnate countless women with chaos spawn!"*

"Kallyr has returned to life to claim the throne of Sartar."

*Many Lunars won't care about this.

Most of these strike me as better-then-even odds to be true.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

We really need a spell that allows you to tell the truth and be believed, too...

A great Orate roll works for that. CHARISMA helps there.

Or I'd still allow LIE to work even if the lie were mostly true.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, Akhôrahil said:

We really need a spell that allows you to tell the truth and be believed, too...

The heroic version of lie spell bends reality, so whatever is said becomes the truth, with supporting evidence. Of course horrible things happen if the trickster tries to use the magic for personal gain, or just because ;-).