The Smoking Ruin Scenario – Some Thoughts & SPOILERS

Sumath

This is an attempt to clarify my thoughts on the scenario The Smoking Ruin (TSR), within the publication The Smoking Ruin & Other Stories (TSROS) and as such it is jam-packed with major spoilers. Please do not read any further if you intend to play this scenario, and note that I will not be covering the other scenarios or content in TSROS in this discussion.

After an initial read-through of TSR I was enthused by its contents and ideas, yet also confused: threads of the scenario seemed to escape me or remain unclear.

After preparing and running it on Roll20 for my three players, I felt the need to give some feedback. I’ve decided to divide this discussion into the good and the bad and, as I’m trying to offer constructive criticism as a consumer, I’ll go through the problematic stuff first.

The Bad

There are three main problems I found with the scenario: it is underwritten in parts, linear in others, and it desperately needs editing.

One of the main protagonists in TSR, and the character at the inception of the adventure, is Treya of Ezel, a dancer and performer that the adventurers interact with and befriend. The main motivation of Treya is her adoration of her late grandmother, Thinala, a warrior matriarch who died when Treya was a young girl.

The first issue arises from the gamemaster being instructed to have Treya repeat her story of her grandmother at various points throughout the scenario. The problem with this is that TSR does not provide a substantial version of this story at any point. On p.43 we have a rumour believed by Leika that Thinala betrayed the Feathered Horse Queen. On p.54 Treya tells the adventurers that Thinala was “Bane of Tuskers, member of the Feathered Horse Queen’s Honor Guard”, and then some text about her battling Tusk Riders and that Treya falsely believes Tusk Riders brutally killed Thinala.

That is almost the entire body of information that the gamemaster has to work with in understanding Treya’s beliefs about Thinala and her death. It’s incredibly skimpy given that the main NPC’s motivation (and the driver for getting the adventurers to participate in the adventure) hangs off of this. Yes, there is a little more factual information about Thinala under her write-up on p.93, but there is no reference to the stories of Tusk Riders, rumours about betrayal, or anything else that Treya or Leika supposedly believe about her. The gamemaster is left adrift, with enormous questions unanswered about the beliefs of a central character (beliefs the gamemaster is expected to depict), and with no material to use when asked to have Treya regularly repeat the story of her grandmother.

There are a few other areas where the scenario is underwritten, particularly in the dearth of description provided for the general construction of the Smoking Ruin itself. There are notes on a few specific locations such as entry gates and courtyards, but nothing to describe the architecture and art of the ruins themselves. Given the history of the site there should have been notes on Dawn Age murals, troll graffiti or debris, or even some signs of dragonewt activity. This felt like a missed opportunity, as well as another imposition upon the gamemaster’s resources.

The next issue arises in both Act One and Act Five, which are the call to adventure and the resolution respectively. I felt that Act One was overly protracted, with an extended set of dance performances, followed by various conversations at dinner, followed by introductions to a patron, then research into the destination, before finally agreeing to start the journey to the Smoking Ruin itself. There are also some sub-plots set up at the beginning with Asborn Thriceborn and Hastur Lawspeaker which never pay off, and others (Sora Goodseller) that seem inconsequential in the scheme of things. Given how much is going on at the beginning of this scenario, and in later Acts, it seems odd to have these hanging plot points.

Act Five, meanwhile, suffers from essentially being a long ceremony that players have described to them, with very little opportunity for interaction. When I ran the scenario, I ended up abbreviating this section considerably and did my best to add some elements of decision-making. Yes, adventurers should see the consequences of their decisions from earlier in the adventure, but these consequences should not take the form of long gamemaster monologues about the actions of NPCs.

Another big issue I have with TSR is the layout. Some RuneQuest scenarios seem to be written in quite an old-school fashion, seemingly designed to be read rather than played, but TSR suffers from this more than most. An example of this is at the end of Act 3 and into Act 4, covering the adventurers’ entry into the Smoking Ruin. This is not laid out in a logical order for play.

For the gamemaster, who needs to describe what the adventurers see, hear and smell as they enter the ruins, this information is spread over far too many pages and interspersed between bits of history (that the adventurers may never learn), notes about Treya’s behaviour, statistics for elementals and a description of a shrine to Orlanth outside the ruins.

There is also the encounter with One-Eye Bugleg, the beginning of which is described in Act 3 on p.78, but is then not fully explained until Act 4, p.88. This whole section needs to be edited for use at the table – I ended up copying and pasting a lot of the text into a Word document and placing it in the right order.

There are some small inconsistencies in some of the NPC stats as well, such as Treya having the spell Switch Places, which she can’t use as she lacks Illusory Sight, or Vamargic and his necklace possessing spirit magic, but no POW with which to cast it or overcome the POW of others. Also. given how much space is required for RQ stats, I firmly believe they should go at the end of a scenario, or Act, so they don’t disrupt the flow of text and can be found easily when needed.

My final gripe is with Treya’s sacrifice for her grandmother. This is understandable from Treya’s viewpoint, but not from Thinala’s (what grandmother would selfishly take their granddaughter’s life?), and leaves the gamemaster with no explanation/motivation for the callous actions of someone who has been venerated throughout by the central character. To get around this, I changed the scene so that Thinala had no choice in her resurrection.

The Good

So why did I bother running this scenario? Firstly, I can admire the ambition of TSR – it sends the adventurers off to a legendary site in Glorantha, important to the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda, but also in Orlanthi, troll and dragonewt history. It is epic in both the scope of its mythical backstory and the high magic employed in the creation of the Smoking Ruin locale, and players will be genuinely dumbfounded and challenged by what they find there.

It also attempts to ground the mythic events within a relatable story of familial devotion (even if it is not entirely successful in this), providing the central character of Treya with the potential to get players emotionally invested in the scenario’s outcome. In One-Eye Bugleg, the scenario provides a sympathetic figure who can act as a kind of Greek chorus or fill in gaps in the players’ understanding of the ruins’ convoluted history.

The encounters on the way to the ruin are well-drawn, and provide opportunities to foreshadow the tale of what happened to the troll factions. The Smoking Ruin itself also provides the basis for at least one more scenario, with a hidden tomb and temple ready to be developed by the gamemaster.

However, I think one of the scenario’s greatest strengths is the inclusion of the most iconic and horrific villain in any RuneQuest scenario I’ve read, the zealously undead Vamargic Eye Necklace. Channelling elements of old-school troll rune lords, Jack Vance’s Chun the Unavoidable and special effects from 1980’s video nasties, Vamargic is a truly memorable opponent, whose screaming, flesh-creeping, infernal introduction in Act 4 is bound to make an impression upon even the most jaded of role-players. That he is the immensely powerful commander of spirits and undead, and wants something very specific from the adventurers, provides a lot of options for how the gamemaster might run the encounter, and adds to the replayability of the Smoking Ruin as an adventure location.

There is the definite possibility of a TPK from this encounter, but if the gamemaster deploys Vamargic as described, the players can’t say they weren’t warned. Should the adventurers (sensibly) flee from Vamargic, they will have the opportunity to run into him in future if they return to seek Korol Kandoros’ tomb or Ernalda’s temple.

There is also the opportunity for adventurers to significantly alter the composition of the Smoking Ruins by undertaking the Hombadaka Boko ritual with One-Eye, and freeing up to half the troll spirits. One of my players, an experienced role-player, admitted it was the first time he’d solved a major plot point in a scenario through the medium of dance.

Finally, the discovery of Ernalda’s mirror (something of a McGuffin in the scenario) offers the chance to significantly affect Orlanthi politics in future, as well as the reputation of the adventurers, and could also be a platform for future heroquests.

Conclusion

This is a very personal view and I felt the need to write it in order to air some frustrations I have about the format in which RuneQuest scenarios are sometimes written. The RQG material has great art and art direction, and the products are beautifully produced, but in this instance I feel that the utility of the scenario isn’t what it could be.

These days there are plenty of RPG critics, e.g. Bryce Lynch, that maintain that commercial scenarios must be capable of being run at the table after one read-through, and that format and layout should be all about their utility in presenting an experience to the players. I’m probably a little more forgiving than that, but I do feel that TSR asks too much of the gamemaster.

It would be great to see any future editions of this publication address some of these issues.

Nonetheless, there is a lot within this scenario for an enterprising gamemaster to develop into further adventures, without even mentioning the rest of the contents of TSROS (which I also intend to make use of in future).

• Like 9
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 4

I did read many years ago, that the layout and writing of many gaming modules, is to create a pleasant read for the GM. More like a novel, as it was understood by publishers that many adventures never make the gaming table. So the idea is to produce a warm fuzzy feeling for the GM, but as a resource at the table, totally inadequate.

It’s something I have always looked at, as I read material. Few seem to obtain that bar, as I am forced to dissect, and take copious notes, then flick between to two. Cut out the fluff and just give me the bullet points.

Thanks for your review.

• Like 6

I found it very difficult going and in fact I still haven't managed to read all the way through it - as you say too many NPC interactions at the start, and I felt too much vagueness about the actual site. I can't imagine running it as written. It felt too much of "Here are all these wonderful NPCs for you to portray having interactions with your PCs" and not enough of "Here's actual description of the situation for you to run it". 

• Like 2

Always start what you finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Act 5 was a horrible horrible bore.

The Thinala Swap Dance also struck me as weird, as the grandmother should be distraught, yet wasn't.  Also the chance to kill PCs is too high with, at least how our GM ran it, little warning or explanation of what might happen 

Varmagic was a great villain!

(Added later) On rereading, the original tone is a bit curt and negative.  I did like the scenario.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 1

My GM tried to warn us adequately that standing up to Vamargic directly would probably wreck us, but we ignored or discounted the evidence of how dangerous a confrontation would be and gave it a shot anyway.  Poor Thinala gave her second life covering our retreat, with my character unconscious and our Humakti's arm broken.  We saw Vamargic add her eye to his necklace as we fled.  We did recover the mirror fragment though!  Our subsequent effort to gather a Unity Army from around southern Dragon Pass to defeat Vamargic + allies in open battle ended up defining the rest of that campaign.  Our Humakti destroyed the enslaved revenant Vamargic made from Thinala's corpse in single combat, and my troll ate the Eye-necklace to dispose of it after the battle.

• Like 11

On 2/1/2021 at 9:12 AM, PhilHibbs said:

@Nick Brooke's notes in The Duel at Dangerford look really useful as well.

I'm confused by this. 

One should buy Duel at Dangerford to understand the Smoking Ruin scenario? It completes the Smoking Ruin scenario? Clarifies it?

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

56 minutes ago, creativehum said:

I'm confused by this. 

One should buy Duel at Dangerford to understand the Smoking Ruin scenario? It completes the Smoking Ruin scenario? Clarifies it?

It contains Nick's notes from when he ran it. For me, it served as a good overview, as have some of the posts in this thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, creativehum said:

It's descriptions of Nick's two playtests of the scenario.  Useful ideas of how various pieces might be staged, pieces that could readily be left out, ways that certain scenes and situations might be played out.  Very useful from a GM perspective.  

Overall, I'd say it helps you think about ways to clarify or refine the play of it.  (You don't need it to "complete" the scenario - there's plenty in the scenario as-is.)

• Like 1

What do people feel about the location of RQ stats? Chaosium's policy is to place these wherever a character appears in the text. But again, I don't see how this assists in running the scenario.

The amount of space taken by RQ stats means they can't just fit in the space of a paragraph, like D&D monster stats do - they need considerable space and IMHO are better off indexed and collected in one place so the GM can photocopy them easily, or can easily refer to them at the back of the book when necessary.

This is especially true for when an NPC might appear in more than one part of an adventure, and the GM then has to remember on which page the stats were. 

• Like 4

On 2/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, dumuzid said:

My GM tried to warn us adequately that standing up to Vamargic directly would probably wreck us, but we ignored or discounted the evidence of how dangerous a confrontation would be and gave it a shot anyway.  Poor Thinala gave her second life covering our retreat, with my character unconscious and our Humakti's arm broken.  We saw Vamargic add her eye to his necklace as we fled.  We did recover the mirror fragment though!  Our subsequent effort to gather a Unity Army from around southern Dragon Pass to defeat Vamargic + allies in open battle ended up defining the rest of that campaign.  Our Humakti destroyed the enslaved revenant Vamargic made from Thinala's corpse in single combat, and my troll ate the Eye-necklace to dispose of it after the battle.

Sounds like you handled it brilliantly. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sumath said:

What do people feel about the location of RQ stats? Chaosium's policy is to place these wherever a character appears in the text. But again, I don't see how this assists in running the scenario.

I like it, because I use pdf. no print, just the screen. Sometimes I have to open several instances of the same document, but I appreciate to have everything in the same location. For example It is a mess (for me), to find the characters I need when I read the old griffin mountain background. I want the main characters of one location, and I have to find their stats elsewhere, far from the location description.

But it depends on people taste and application. For rune magic, my way would be to have a multidimmensional solution. What are the spells of a god ? Wo are the gods able to teach this spell ? Where can I find a temple of this god ? Who are the gods who are worshipped in this location ? What are te spells in this location ?

etc etc etc

And that is not a book I need then.. but the alien machine. So I take the pdf as they are, sometimes it is easy for me, sometimes it is difficult 😛

52 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

And that is not a book I need then.. but the alien machine. So I take the pdf as they are, sometimes it is easy for me, sometimes it is difficult

You might want to consider adding bookmarks and reference sheets to your PDF to aid in this. For example

52 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Who are the gods who are worshipped in this location ?

In the Adventure book, I made a list of from the temples selection, added the PDF at the back and then bookmarked it.

1921920926_Screenshot2021-02-20at11_29_13.png.0237c00fe6a378c1f9186d973ac9977f.png577667978_Screenshot2021-02-20at11_29_32.png.1aed2a5e86f62f1a46a844bf0693c6cf.png

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 2/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, Sumath said:

What do people feel about the location of RQ stats?

When I was laying out Ruins of Bonn Kanach for JC I felt having the RQ Stats inline made the document too long and a royal pain. I had 35 pages of scenario plus 30 pages of stat blocks! Having them as a separate pdf not only made layout much easier, but dramatically improved readability. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, Sumath said:

This is something I'm still a bit torn on, myself. I've put the stats mostly at the back of the two scenarios I published for the JC (The Throat of Winter and Clash with the Quacken, in MOTM #12), and that felt mostly right. I think that it'd be worth developing a limited statblock of some sort for use in-line. This is fairly easy with spirits since it's basically just Spirit Combat skill & damage, but it's more difficult with basically anything else. Maybe just HP, spell list, and important abilities?

Various JC authors have been tinkering with ways to handle abridged/improvised stats (for example, Six Seasons in Sartar), and I think that's something worth continuing to explore as a community.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 2/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, Jeff said:

Sounds like you handled it brilliantly. 

I'm pretty pleased with how it worked out.  The survivors of our Unity Army resettled the no-longer-Smoking Ruins, creating a community of Old Tarsh humans, trolls and trollkin, green elves, and even Beast Valley folk who made it part of their seasonal round.  The earth temple became a great worship center, sharing custody of the mirror fragment with the Clearwine temple over the course of the year, with our player character Ernaldan as its high priestess.  She accepted the courtship of Asborn Thrice-Born, solidifying our alliance with the Colymar and opening the way for Sartarite settlers.  My Argan Argar troll was acclaimed the settlement's first king and the first priest of its new wyter, which bound itself to his lance.  He married a daughter of Oxus, the chief of the Four Gifts who'd led riders to the battle against Vamargic, solidifying our alliance to the west with the Grazers.  With good relations to east, west and south our little settlement became a growing trade hub, with travel through the pathless places facilitated by insect caravans owned by my chacter's mother, an Argan Argar trade mistress from the Blackwell.  Our first big Sacred Time heroquest was a version of The Wooing of Esrola where Ernalda and Maran Gor schemed with Argan Argar to free their sister Esrola from an increasingly unhappy marriage to Lodril; when we returned from the Gods World much of the ruined architecture of old Korolstead was magically restored, but all in obsidian, thanks to the compelled labor of Lodril.  The magic of the quest, the mirror, and the restored Ernalda temple and Flamal grove transformed the valley beneath the settlement into a profoundly lush and fertile land.  With a troll king and an earth priestess sharing rule over this fecund prosperity from a great temple and a palace complex of black glass, it all started to feel like Silver Age Esrolia come again.

Afterwards we marched to war in Tarsh with the Grazers, rediscovered Golden Age myths using Ernalda's mirror fragment, wakened long-sleeping spirits and demigods to become protectors of our new community, defended our home against the invasion of Lunar and Chaos-worshiping mercenaries sent by the king of Tarsh, and fundamentally altered the course of the Hero Wars through our intervention at the unfolding Battle of Dunstop.  All because Thinala gave her second life to save us from Vamargic, and we refused to simply let it lie.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 year later...

Having just last week (May 2022)  run about 80% of the The Smoking Ruin (TSR),  I'd say this thread you are looking at is dead accurate, as is this related one: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/12205-smoking-ruin-questions-spoilers/#comment-187710

It could stand a GMing-friendly second edition:

I agree about needing Treya's story in a clear form.  In general I would have benefited from some NPCs' key speeches being clearly written out, rather than implied.

TSR has a lot of instances where the GM needs to skip back and forth in the book, which is very inconvenient to do during play.    Any of us who actually run it will have had to make substantial notes with page references ... and it's not a bad idea to buy the PDF so as to copy and paste items into your notes in a handier format.   For examples, I would rather have had the NPC stats on their own pages rather than mixed into the surrounding text, because it's hard mechanically to flop between p.93 and 94 for Thinala, or p.94-96-97 for Vamargic. 

What I really think The Smoking Ruin needs most is a set of flow charts.  Yes there is an overview, pp.35-48, but it didn't prepare me for the following issues: There are several sets of contingencies written out, but they require reference to previous Acts of the adventure on other pages, and things that appear minor on first reading can have a major effect on the contingencies, so without aid it's easy for the GM to drop the ball. 

items important to the contingencies in later acts begin in Act 1 not only with Treya and Daravala Chan, but also in interactions with other members of Leika's court and even the adventurers' choice of inns. 

Act 3 has a major contingency, :"Agents of Leika" that depends on these and the three bullet points on p.68 should be important to the flow chart.  This data needs to be kept, because this flow chart links to Act 5.

The choice of routes from Duck Point, keyed to the p.63 map, has unclear text: p.62 "the adventurers could go one of three ways; a) through Dragon pass...."  but never does have routes b) and c) identified as such.  I did puzzle it out, because I do do GM prep -  but this could  have been organized so as not to waste my time, by clearly and briefly listing the three routes and THEN detailing them, instead of detailing (a) before even giving a brief description of b) and c).

Another part which could stand a GM-friendly edit in later editions is the approach,  "Approaching the East side" and "approaching the West side".  There are if-thens on p.80 that I take as another opportunity to flowchart. And the advice to the GM to ensure that the party encounters One-Eye no matter where they enter should be extremely prominent, should be the first sentence in "encountering One Eye Bugleg" and IMHO should be repeated both in the overview and in the approach section.  Why? Because One-Eye is key to the sense of wonder that this adventure can deliver, not only to her own but also to Treya's pieces.

Entry to the ruins could really stand to be flow charted.   Several of the locations have items of description that are important to contingencies, and IMHO they need to be bolded, indicating "read this out loud!". One-Eye's lengthy sequence has contingencies that link to Vamargic and also to Treya's fate.  Besides this, wherever the party enters it will have an effect on the Vamargic part.  The Vamargic part has two important bullet pointed lists of prior contingencies on pp. 94 and 95.   Right now there is no handy reference to these nested contingencies, and you don't want the GM to accidentally or naively blow past any of them.

Spoiler

In my case the adventurers climbed the Monument and then did an aerial recon (having lived through Company of the Dragon they had the ability to do this), identifed Ernalda's Garden and so went directly to the broken walls and the Well.  They did not explore most of the Ruin.  I had to use Bug-Eye to vaguely warn them of Vamargic -, because i wasn't prepared with detail for what happens if they are trapped at the bottom of the well and in the temple by Vamargic.  Which seems an obvious possibility, but TSR has no detail for the Ernalda temple.  //  Then in the encounter with Vamargic, the only thing they really had to fear was the spirits, which came close to possessing one adventurer.   Vamargic himself appeared and was critted in one round, then dragged away by one of his bodyguard.  Horrible looking fellow, but not all that dangerous to this crew.

Well, on to Act 5 next week.  At this point I am sad that I was not fully aware of the events in Act 1 that can or will affect contingencies in Act 5, and did not give enough emphasis to those events and NPCs.  Act 5 will go all right, but I wish I had been fully aware of those potentially interesting details in the interactions with Leika's court.

Despite all my gripes, WITH enough GM prep it's a good adventure.  But what's "enough"? There are too many opportunities to fumble its subtleties as it is currently written.  If I run it a second and third time I may do better.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
plural / singular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a good review. I agree that we could have done with a clearer version of Treyas' story. My only other criticism is the player map of the Ruins: i can't make head nor tail of them. It reminded me of the Tower from Pegasus Plateau, which had no relation to what was described. My players are about to enter, and I fear that their map will derail the game as it doesn't match up with the bigger map in anyway (to me).

Edited by Dogboy
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 5:12 AM, Dogboy said:

a good review. I agree that we could have done with a clearer version of Treyas' story. My only other criticism is the player map of the Ruins: i can't make head nor tail of them. It reminded me of the Tower from Pegasus Plateau, which had no relation to what was described. My players are about to enter, and I fear that their map will derail the game as it doesn't match up with the bigger map in anyway (to me).

Oh, the map fragment?  I always thought it was a piece of artful misdirection, to give confidence or maybe over confidence.  But it does really match the ruins map, it is just incomplete , and there is no deception in it being labeled a map fragment.  And the aerial view in the book is an aerial view. The fragment is unlabeled too, and the book even says Daravala's advice on it will be wrong.    Your players need to do their own recon and that is no accident, clear in the scenario and I have no heartburn about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Oh, the map fragment?  I always thought it was a piece of artful misdirection, to give confidence or maybe over confidence.  But it does really match the ruins map, it is just incomplete, and there is no deception in it being labeled a map fragment. 

The oddity for me was neither the map fragment nor the aerial view, but the Key to the Ruins on p.73 (and some of the text about entering the ruins) which clearly works off of another (likely original) map that was not included (probably replaced by the aerial view).  You're left trying to work out the association between the text there and the aerial view.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Oh, the map fragment?  I always thought it was a piece of artful misdirection, to give confidence or maybe over confidence.  But it does really match the ruins map, it is just incomplete , and there is no deception in it being labeled a map fragment.  And the aerial view in the book is an aerial view. The fragment is unlabeled too, and the book even says Daravala's advice on it will be wrong.    Your players need to do their own recon and that is no accident, clear in the scenario and I have no heartburn about it.

Well, I don't see it's correlation, so it must be me.

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The oddity for me was neither the map fragment nor the aerial view, but the Key to the Ruins on p.73 (and some of the text about entering the ruins) which clearly works off of another (likely original) map that was not included (probably replaced by the aerial view).  You're left trying to work out the association between the text there and the aerial view.

Yeah, there is some issue with maps in the 2 scenario books: They just don't seem to match the descriptions. In the case of Miskanders Tower, it's obvious that the AD was never told of the original maps. In this case i suspect similarly.

• 10 months later...

Thank you for your thorough review of The Smoking Ruins (Runequest 7 E). I am about to run it.  I would love to have what you put in the dreams about Organvale Summer to also hand out to my players. Yes, it is one complicated module. any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciate.

Jeri