Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Reprinting any version of Gloranthan Classic Volume 1: Pavis & Big Rubble is not currently on the production schedule. As I have consistently said a number of times, we do NOT have good electronic files to use for printing this book. 

Rick, sorry about that.  New to the forum and misread post one that I mistakenly saw what I thought was end of 2016.  It is too bad there are not translation programs to update the files.  I actually got a softcopy off of an ebay auction, but I would give $300 for a hardcover with the paper slipcover or some combination of $ and the softcover trade.  It's my one missing item.  I understand that the copies are depleted and the PDF is unfortunately requiring that redo to print. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to jump into discussions from months ago and say:

I agree that adding stat blocks for RQ to HQ adventures is not generally going to be a great or rewarding activity, and dual statted books are often not a great idea. The two games have a quite different focus, and some adventures are really just not going to work when translated too directly from on system to another. And even more so for 13th Age. 

BUT I can very much see people wanting long form cult write ups for the various cults done for HQG so far to be translated to RuneQuest. And I very much favour close translations myself. And eventually, backwards - any cult written up for RQ should swiftly be adapted for HQG use as well (though thats a lot easier). And cults that are well known and loved in their RQ2/3 formats should be available for new RQ as quickly as we can manage them. 

I can see people wanting stats for all the monsters in any system done for the others (yeah nangrels are going to make it into my RuneQuest and HeroQuest games). 

And I am happy to volunteer to do this work myself, either as fan effort or in collaboration with Chaosium, depending on the wishes of Chaosium. I would rather see the limited creative resources of Chaosium be focussed on new stuff, than the (mostly grunt work) of translating eg Cults of Terror cult writeups for the new game. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rob Helm said:

How does Red Cow compare to the Colymar campaign in _Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes_?

Red Cow provides a level of detail of the clan and its people that you won't find for the Orlmarth/Colymar in SKoH.

E.g. You have all the main figures for the Red Cow, plus the bloodlines, plus Queen Ivartha and her household.  You also have the Dolutha clan of the Cinsina, the Emerald Sword clan of the Dinacoli, the Two-Pine clan of the Culbrea, and of course the Telmori (i.e. you have details of all the main clan enemies).

With SKoH you have a sketch of the Orlmarth clan ring.  But nothing on the bloodlines, key NPC's, clan enemies, etc.  Now, with some online hunting you can track down a lot of the bloodline background (which came from Jeff's house campaign) - I did this and have a fairly fleshed out bloodline for my Orlmarth campaign.

We don't yet have the Eleven Lights book/scenarios that go with the Red Cow, but the campaign in SKoH is centered around a series of three heroic quests.  Given the Coming Storm background for the Red Cow, that campaign will likely center more on what happens to the clan, less on big quests, but Ian can say more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob Helm said:

How does Red Cow compare to the Colymar campaign in _Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes_? Is there a reason to run one versus the other for a particular group?

The Red Cow campaign is designed to fulfill a number of goals:

• Provide a sandbox setting for running a typical clan-based game, akin to the one that Greg Stafford ran for his own group.
  • Allow a narrator to run a typical Sartarite game with zero-prep other than reading the book

To that end the book includes (as Harald points out):

• The clan description, including key leadership NPCs, a description of Red Cow Fort, gazetteer of the clan lands, history etc. and everything else you need to 'start running'.
  • Information on neighboring clans (one a rival, two enemies), and the Cinsina tribe itself, again with key NPCs and a description of Dangerford
  • Descriptions of the Woods of the Dead, where Brangbane King of the Ghouls hangs out, and the Telmori, a tribe of werewolves.

By contrast, the Colymar Campaign is lighter touch in describing the Orlmarth clan, which allows for greater GM creativity, if they have the time.

The Colymar Campaign contains an epic campaign focused on completing tasks for the earth priestess. As well as Orlmarth lands it takes you to sites of adventure across Sartar.

The Eleven Lights contains a chronicle/saga campaign in Cinsina Lands. it includes template adventure descriptions for common Sartarite activities as well as a complete description of events in each year between 1618 and 1625 with adventures set in those years. It ranges from feuds with the neighbors, through surviving the Crimson Bat and the Great Winter.

Both campaigns include an epic heroquest (although the Red Cow includes a second that gives the clan its name).

As to which to run for a particular group. If you and your players like to wander around the sandbox with the the odd published adventure to drive engagement with the setting, or as a 'Saturday Night Special' choose The Coming Storm + the Eleven Lights. If you want epic adventure, following a set of missions, choose The Colymar Campaign.

For, the least work. Both can be used to play the other.

Alternatively get both, and have the opening events of The Colymar Campaign happen when your Red Cow players are visiting the Orlmarth as emissaries.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This has been probably been asked before but are there any plans for a reprint of Pavis: Gateway to Adventure? (I was not in a place to buy when it was available). The second-hand market median price is around $200. If a new printing is somewhere in the offing, I'm inclined to wait...

6 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

This has been probably been asked before but are there any plans for a reprint of Pavis: Gateway to Adventure? (I was not in a place to buy when it was available). The second-hand market median price is around $200. If a new printing is somewhere in the offing, I'm inclined to wait...

Order it direct from Chaosium https://www.chaosium.com/pavis-gateway-to-adventure/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

28 minutes ago, Addison said:

I thought Pavis was out of print for the foreseeable.

Pavis Threshold to Danger (Chaosium 1983 Boxed set). OOP, but like likely to appear as a PDF in the RuneQuest Classics if I know @Rick Meints.

Pavis and Big Rubble (Moon Design 1999 Hard & Softback). OOP, not likely to be reprinted it wasn't digitally printed. Discussed elsewhere.

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure (Moon Design 2012 Softback & PDF). Both currently available from Chaosium: https://www.chaosium.com/pavis-gateway-to-adventure/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Pavis Threshold to Danger (Chaosium 1983 Boxed set). OOP, but like likely to appear as a PDF in the RuneQuest Classics if I know @Rick Meints.

Pavis and Big Rubble (Moon Design 1999 Hard & Softback). OOP, not likely to be reprinted it wasn't digitally printed. Discussed elsewhere.

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure (Moon Design 2012 Softback & PDF). Both currently available from Chaosium: https://www.chaosium.com/pavis-gateway-to-adventure/

There is no add to cart for this.  Only the PDF appears orderable for $20. 

2 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

It looks like Chaosium keeps entries up in their catalogue for recent titles but the buy option is only enabled if the warehouse has copies.

So here in the UK you can buy it. Ah...

and now I can't...

Edited by David Scott

-----

Now that Eleven Lights is out in hardcover, is there any word about what's next in line for publication? It would be really nice to see some scenario packs, either for generic Sartarite clans or drop-ins for the Red Cows (the way the scenarios in Sartar Companion serve as drop-ins for the Orlmarth campaign. Or a book of myths and the quests associated with them, fleshing out cults that don't have a lot of quests available (which is to say, most cults except Orlanth and Humakt)--things on the order of the Lawstaff quest and the scenario written for it. 

Edited by Bohemond