Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

10 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm curious - why is the East getting a book written up in.the short term, when it appears that many would like to see the West covered in more detail, especially given the significance of sorcery?

(Yes, I understand that the GM book, and/or perhaps CaGoG may cover some, but...).

There's a book on the west in the works too. There's going to be ones for the West, East, an South.

9 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I figured there would be, but wondering why it's after the east, and not on the list.

I might be misreading this, but my impression is that these things happen at least in part due to personal passion and drive from the (relatively small) stable of writers, so the author of the Eastern sourcebook might just have been going at it for a longer time/more focused or something. I might very well be wrong, but I doubt it's part of some overarching corporate mandate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Addison said:

Are we going to find out what’s been happening in Sun County with a new book anytime soon?

Did you see the Jonstown Compendium entry that explores that area. Have not seen it but it seems to be more of a sourcebook than an adventure (guess work based on an impression from the cover going from memory). It might relieve a bit of that itch until a more canonical entry comes along.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Addison said:

Are we going to find out what’s been happening in Sun County with a new book anytime soon?

Well...  yes and no:  yes, there's product in development; no, it won't be coming out "anytime soon."   

Always depending, of course, on what you consider "anytime soon."

Robin Laws is working on an updated Pavis&BigRubble.  It looks like it's the third wave out.

We have seen @MOB drop material from his own Sun County update project, which (I strongly believe) is intended to see eventual publication, but doesn't seem to have hit "official mention" stages yet.

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm curious - why is the East getting a book written up in.the short term, when it appears that many would like to see the West covered in more detail, especially given the significance of sorcery?

There's an author who wants to do it (and has been working extensively on Kralorela for quite awhile).  Same thing for the new troll pack.

Edited by jajagappa

Chaosium has a number of RQ projects in the works, including books on the West, the East, and Trolls to name but a few. We tend not to talk about forthcoming books much until we have a complete first draft of the book submitted. We don't want to set false expectations for when things will be published. We also prefer to not have continual/regular questions like "when will X book be done". If we knew, we would announce it, as opposed to just having to give vague answers. As has been stated in this thread, Chaosium is reliant on the desires of our work for hire author pool and the projects they want to work on. Most of the authors have only agreed to take on projects because we did not demand a firm deadline for manuscript delivery. The only in-house authors we have are Jeff and Jason. Jeff (as an author) is mostly working on Gods of Glorantha, and Jason wears many hats besides "author".

We want to communicate, and we love announcing new books as and when we can. Usually, the hardest question to answer for any specific book is "when?". We don't enjoy being vague or non-committal, but we just don't know when a book will be ready until the book has gone to layout.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, Rick Meints said:

Comparing the output for any roleplaying game against the output for D&D is always going to come out the same way. D&D in all its editions has wildly outsold all its competitors. It's pretty much had an 80-90% market share for all or most of its lifetime. TSR became a very large company compared to any other RPG company. By larger, I mean larger by a factor of 10.

I never did say it could challenge for the crown, In fact, I actually said it couldn't. What I did say was it could have given it a run for its money and been a power at court. D&D was never destined to be the "one ring to rule the all" (ahem.) It has ended up that way, yes, but even fairly recently Pathfinder looked as if it could carve out a large chunk of D&D's realm. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Any chance we'll see a PraxPack some day soon?

It is currently listed -- possibly incorrectly -- in the 4th wave of products.

RQ stuff has an "up next in expected order," then "other upcoming," then "coming later."

PraxPak is none of those.

PraxPax shows up below those three, as "Other Glorantha, Rule System TBD."

I'm (strongly) suspecting this will come out as a RQ product.  I'd love it if they re-prioritized PraxPak so it came out very close to the Laws BR&P product(s?).

As Oracle states, "Soon" is "not so likely."

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 weeks later...

New(ish) info!  At the least, newly-sourced & up-to-date...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzUMFruRZkc&fbclid=IwAR1H8j4jT7Byc648Sf6ueVvO7j43cMrUFkc8vXjJYV92fYXmUJ6R9_tFXHY

25:50-30:55 has "future projects" for RQ (and then Pendragon after 30:55)

Smoking Ruins is at the printer now, Pegasus Plateau next (Chaosium is intentionally loading up on adventures/scenarios).

Then the RQ Starter Set box.  Jonstown setting/citybook, (new?) pregen PCs, solo-adventure & a cluster of Jonstown-centric adventures; very much in the model of the CoC7e Starter box-set.

I haven't previously seen mention of this, AFAIK, but a "Grazelander Campaignbook" is coming...?

An "Arms&Equipment" book (dunno how this relates to Martin's book; I expect it's related somehow, though!).

Cults book, with lots of work from a new artist (the guy doing much of CoC's Malleus Monstrorum).

Red Book of Magic (spirit magic, rune magic, comprehensive spell compendium).

"Campaignbook" for the Hero Wars -- like Pendragon's Boy King (I guess some have called it the "Argrathsaga").

Heroquesting rules... maybe in the campaign-book?  Mechanical bits mostly worked out, but still working on narrative support for GM's and players who aren't deep-lore experts.  Hoping for playtest'able / demo rules by approximately GenCon.

• Thanks 4

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, g33k said:

Heroquesting rules... maybe in the campaign-book?  Mechanical bits mostly worked out, but still working on narrative support for GM's and players who aren't deep-lore experts.  Hoping for playtest'able / demo rules by approximately GenCon.

Does anyone know if the GM book is still happening? I thought this was going to contain the heroquest rules. 

23 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

Does anyone know if the GM book is still happening? I thought this was going to contain the heroquest rules. 

It's one of the 3 most-advanced (furthest-along, closest to printing) RQ projects that Jeff has!

Why would he abandon all that work???!?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

I don’t know, I’m just trying to see if I can get an official update since I haven’t heard anything about it in a long time. Unless Jeff mentioned it in these announcements and I missed it.

No, Chaosium doesn't DO updates when there is nothing new to say.  They were working on it last time, they aren't changing that, so they're STILL working on it (they'd have announced a cancellation).

Read the most recent from Rick, a dozen or so posts upthread from this post ...  It discusses that "when will book <X> be out" is something they just cannot answer.

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, Gallowglass said:

I don’t know, I’m just trying to see if I can get an official update since I haven’t heard anything about it in a long time. Unless Jeff mentioned it in these announcements and I missed it.

Pegasus Plateau is in layout. Gods of Glorantha is in final editing and art commissioning. The RQ Starter Set is written and going through editing. The GM book is still being written. Numerous other scenario and sourcebooks are still in the writing phase. Specific ETAs not given because we don't have them yet, although the Pegasus Plateau might be done with layout around the end of March.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

18 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Specific ETAs not given because we don't have them yet, although the Pegasus Plateau might be done with layout around the end of March.

Squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  <ahem> for a any number of reasons. Not least I plan on running a bunch of players through online games soon.  Plus another reason or two. 

• 1 month later...

Apologies if I've missed this information elsewhere, but does anyone know what, if anything, is in the pipeline for HeroQuest / QuestWorlds as far as Gloranthan material goes. All I could see was this at the start of the thread:

The Dragonrise, the “offstage” material from The Eleven Lights, for HQG - Ian Cooper
Fonrit setting book for HQG - Ian Cooper

With the SRD released I'm sure that we'll see new games and supplements from other publishers, but as far as Chaosium's Gloranthan material goes it looks as though RuneQuest is very much hogging the limelight from now on, which is a shame. Are there really only two books pencilled in at the moment? 

Edited by BigJackBrass