What setting licence should Mythras get

jux

11 minutes ago, threedeesix said:

If only it could happen. However Modiphius has that license all wrapped up.

Rod

Ah.  Too bad.  I'm happy to see some one is producing Barsoom game, but I'd prefer BRP/Mythras type rules.  The special effects from Mythras would seem to make for a fun bit of fencing instead, which would be perfect for the setting.

F

• Like 2

10 hours ago, clarence said:

Speaking of Valerian & Laureline, Luc Besson released the first trailer for the Valerian movie yesterday (based on the comic):

http://io9.gizmodo.com/luc-bessons-valerian-looks-like-all-your-scifi-dreams-c-1788781880

As for myself, I don't know how the man that did the 5th Element could fail at making a good Valerian movie. 

Too bad Laureline is not in the title, and the actor is 10+ years younger than what the original character looks like, however.

• Like 1

Yes, I also wondered about the title. Laureline is in many ways driving the story in the comics, with Valerian mostly getting into trouble. Otherwise the trailer looks very promising. And as you say, what can go wrong when they have The Fifth Element on their CVs?

Back on topic, or slightly less OT at least, I read up on the Saga comic. It seems the creators, Vaughn & Staples, have declared they're not very interested in porting to other types of media. Not ruling it out completely, as they did initially though. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

On 11.11.2016 at 11:28 PM, clarence said:

Yes, I also wondered about the title. Laureline is in many ways driving the story in the comics, with Valerian mostly getting into trouble. Otherwise the trailer looks very promising.

In the French original, the graphic novels (bandes desinées) are called "Valérian, agent spatio-temporel ", so the name for the movie makes sense. (They renamed the series to "Valerian et Laureline" only in 2007).

• Like 2

Is there any likelihood of a Scourged Earth setting book, or a setting/campaign book like The Spider God's Bride? Come to think of it, TSGB setting of Xoth would be great for Mythras.

A full setting book is unlikely, but enough material for people to take and develop as they wish is certainly a possibility.

The Spider God's Bride was adapted for Legend by Mongoose a couple of years ago, and is still available. You shouldn't have any difficulty using it with Mythras.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Oh, one more thing: Why not do what Chaosium did back in the day with Stormbringer, that is, look at the book market, identify fantasy fiction books series that are recently successful, but not number #1 (because Number 1 would be too expensive, and there already is a SOIAF RPG), and get that license?

Apparently, in the English book market, series like "The Fist Law" by Abercrombie, the Kingkiller Chronicle by Rothfuss, or The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham are nice fits for this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeirophantX said:

Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell would make a great Mythic Vikings setting...

Anything by by Bernard Cornwell would make a great Mythic setting...

• Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, CRKrueger said:

I love Bernard Cornwell as a writer, but his name drives me crazy, I always want to say Cromwell or Cornwall. :D

Anyway, if I could just Make it So... Conan, Kull and the other works of Howard.  Artesia. Nehwon. Game of Thrones. Eternal Champion Series. Warhammer Fantasy.  Let's toss in Middle-Earth while we're at it and claim Flawless Victory.

Well, Howard's works are public domain, so there wouldn't be any need for a license. They could just do it.

Eternal Champion seems to be Chaosium's plan, so it would be unwise to try  that and drive up the price for the license. 

Newhon? That doesn't seem to be that big of a seller, considering Mongoose dropped the line pretty quickly, if I recall correctly?

The other licenses you mention would probably be too expensive.

Wouldn't mind seeing them pull the trigger and take Meeros and Monster Island and create their own setting either.

I believe Thennla, featured in Shores Of Korantia and The Taskan Empire, is just that.

Edited by Thot

30 minutes ago, Thot said:

I believe Thennla, featured in Shores Of Korantia and The Taskan Empire, is just that.

Well, not quite - Meeros and stuff like Monster Island kind of fit in there, but Thennla is clearly discernible as its own, separate thing. However, I quite like this approach: It looks like they're going to publish stuff for the Meeros (and maybe the realms) millieu without tying it to a more general setting description, so that we can put the pieces together anyway we like or easily slot them into settings like Thennla.

BTW I believe that certain names in the Conan IP are currently not public domain so it's not like you can just pick that up. Might need to check with the Howard estate to be absolutely sure. It's like Burroughs IP, I believe the Burroughs estate keep a tight grasp of anything that will make money.

Nigel

25 minutes ago, nclarke said:

BTW I believe that certain names in the Conan IP are currently not public domain so it's not like you can just pick that up. Might need to check with the Howard estate to be absolutely sure. It's like Burroughs IP, I believe the Burroughs estate keep a tight grasp of anything that will make money.

Everything that was written by Howard himself is public domain by law. There are Conan stories by other authors  which are not, but you don't have to use them.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:53 PM, CRKrueger said:

Maybe more down to earth...Tekumel isn't a bad choice, that was a good call by whoever upthread.  

'Twas me. Tékumel is a super-detailed and beloved game world without a live game system (well, except for small systems like Béthorm and Tirikelu). Mythras Imperative is a flexible game system which can cope with different worlds.

On 18/11/2016 at 4:55 PM, fulk said:

After much additional thought, I vote

Warhammer Fantasy

Artesia

Black Company

as my top three, not necessarily in that order.

I really don't want to see WFRP translated to BRP. While both system and setting clearly show inspiration from BRP, it's sufficiently different and I happen to like it the way it is (well 1st/2nd edition that is).

Artesia is a possibility. The setting shows clear influence from RuneQuest as does the Fuzion based RPG. I believe the author, Mark Smylie, used Fuzion because it was one of the few free license systems at the time. He was supposed to be working on a new RPG with a different system but that seems to have been put on the back burner. He may well be approachable for a licensed product or some sort of collaboration.

1 hour ago, yojimbo said:

I really don't want to see WFRP translated to BRP. While both system and setting clearly show inspiration from BRP, it's sufficiently different and I happen to like it the way it is (well 1st/2nd edition that is).

I can go along with that. Like 1st & 2nd.  Didn't like 3rd. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want TDM to maintain their current focus and not seek such IP-hooked projects unless they happen upon one that really trips their collective triggers.  They have carved a nice niche out and I think nurturing it will serve them best.

And, I cant think of an IP that would make sense to me.  Dune pops to mind, but then I imagine what a herculean project that would be (if it could (or should) be done).

No.  Eschew such entanglements for the time being.

Yes.  Wait.  I am so slow.  Black Sails.  Put forth a setting for Starz' Black Sails series.  That would rock.

Edited by ThornPlutonius
Sometimes thought takes awhile...
  • Like 1

I would like Mythras to be married to the Design Mechanism's Mythic Earth series as a priority, and if they want to do a fantasy world then expanding the setting of the world of Thennla will certainly do the trick

However if there is an IP wishlist, then yeah I would love to see the Design Mechanism do a very immersive and complex version of Frank Herbert's DUNE...

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"