Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

6 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Nothing that appears in the Jonstown Compendium is canonical. The book has a YGWV warning near the front.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we hear you, but everyone will accept it as canon, even if you and Jeff don't agree.

Such is the price of genius, i am afraid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Got the .pdf. Reading away.

This is a really trivial point, but on page 5, second column, line 4/5, the weight of the common coin is given as "weighing approximately ⅛ ounce (4 grams, 0.2 troy oz.)". This matches the Guide.  A troy ounce is ~31.1 grams - the lunar should be ~6 grams, not 4.

Why does this matter to me? It makes a significant difference in pricing armor and weapons. Copper clacks in the guide are the same size (0.2 troy oz.). So a kg of copper is ~16.7 guilders. If the coins are smaller (4 g vs six), then a kg of copper is ~25 guilders. That's a huge difference in RQ Glorantha. In ancient earth bronze varied in value, but an average of 1.5* the value of copper was common - this sets a kilogram of bronze at 25 lunars (6 g coins) or 37.5 lunars (4 g coins). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

@M Helsdon

Just got the PDF. It's fabulous. It's like reading an archaeological treastie on the Bronze Age Armies of the Fertile Crescent... except it's about Dragon Pass. Such detail, great illustrations.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

Do you want feedback re. typos, etc.?

Typos, yes.

I am about to generate v1.01 and send it to MOB.

16 minutes ago, pachristian said:

This matches the Guide.  A troy ounce is ~31.1 grams - the lunar should be ~6 grams, not 4.

That's a huge difference in RQ Glorantha. 

At the time of writing, only the Guide definition was available. I may address this in a future update.

10 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The horror...

This is why RQ should include SAN....

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

This is why RQ should include SAN....

Actually I was going more for a Joseph Conrad, Francis Coppola vibe more than a Petersen thanks but that should work too., 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Shakes dice, quickly cups them and looks around a little concerned...

Oh and congrats @M Helsdon! great work, and it so richly deserve not only a comedy routine (sorry we could not find one but we tried, oh gods we tried) but publication and success!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

50 minutes ago, g33k said:

It's not so much RQ that needs SAN rules.

It's BRPCentral's "Glorantha" forum that needs SAN rules.

The forum needs rules, the contributors need sanity. The silent readers... they are pretty much on their own.

A lot of stuff some people see as controversial has already been discussed, commented, applauded or badmouthed.

I'll say congratulations to Martin to have seen this mammoth project through.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I'll say congratulations to Martin to have seen this mammoth project through.

Thank you.

It states YGWV early on.

Hmm. 'Armies & Enemies' is currently ranked as second highest selling item on DriveThruRPG.

Am not going to get too excited as sales haven't exceeded sixty yet...

bestselling.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 6

On 12/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, Richard S. said:

I think that may mean it's selling really fast, even if not many have been bought yet. Congrats though! Who knows, maybe being on the front page of DTRPG will get some people interested in the setting :P

Sold around 116 copies on DriveThruRPG. Having nothing to compare this with, the fact it is still at the #2 suggests that it is getting steady sales. Wish had been able to create a more striking cover as it doesn't exactly do Glorantha justice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Sold around 116 copies on DriveThruRPG. Having nothing to compare this with, the fact it is still at the #2 suggests that it is getting steady sales. Wish had been able to create a more striking cover as it doesn't exactly do Glorantha justice.

Well sir, count me as one of those 116. Thanks!

So, is this now a place to comment on things we only noticed now in the text?

I was a bit astonished about the age groups assigned to the Backboy, Spearthane, Shield Thane and Sword Thane on p.23. Having 9-12 year old uninitiated kids in a combat environment strikes me as quite un-Orlanthi, even in the Backboy role. Hostile spirits have been part of Gloranthan warfare since the beginning of memory, and they never were that discriminating between combatants and non-combatants.

Did you get these years from a mostly unpublished deep source, or does this come from our world's introduction of boys to warfare?

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/3/2019 at 7:40 PM, pachristian said:

This is a really trivial point, but on page 5, second column, line 4/5, the weight of the common coin is given as "weighing approximately ⅛ ounce (4 grams, 0.2 troy oz.)". This matches the Guide.  A troy ounce is ~31.1 grams - the lunar should be ~6 grams, not 4.

The Guide and RQG (at least the latest I have) given the weight of a Lunar as  4 grams (1/8 of an ounce). This converts to 0.128603 troy ounces, which I take as 0.13. Given that the Guide weights in grams and ounces are fairly consistent, I suspect that the Guide conversion to troy ounces is in error.

Am going to update my text to 0.13 troy oz. unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

• Like 1