This is the question that shouldn't be asked ... When Runequest startes set will be out?

Beorne

After one and a half years of study I'm starting my RQ:G campaign. I was thinking to create the PC with the players ... but then I discovered RQ Starter Set is coming out.

I think it will be better to use one of the pregenerated characters, to avoid to overwhelm the players with the complexity of the (beautiful) character creation process.

When will it be published approximately? Will it have a pdf version too?

Thanks.

There are also 7 pregens, as I suppose you know, on the Core Rulebook, even though I understand that it's very tempting to wait for the new ones, they all look good and 14 (or was it 15?) is a very open choice for your players, who will most certainly find at least one they like.

It's announced for summer, late may at the earliest, but I would expect june. As far as I have followed their work, Chaosium never tells the exact date of release or even the month, to not run into those "delay" problems that so usually we see in videogames these days, it's though for fans but it's underastandable.

At the end you have to make a balance, is waiting a couple of months worth it? Maybe you could try to run the Quickstart as a one-shot to show them the game, or some other somewhat short adventure with pre-gens, maybe creating them yourself.

Edited by Jape_Vicho
  • Thanks 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

4 hours ago, Beorne said:

... I think it will be better to use one of the pregenerated characters, to avoid to overwhelm the players with the complexity of the (beautiful) character creation process ...

If you are relatively confident that the players will engage with the campaign and with Glorantha, then I strongly encourage you to do the full character-creation process per the core rulebook.  The entire purpose of that method is to embed the characters into the world, engage the players' imaginations.

If your players are just looking to throw some dice & kill some monsters; or if they are unwilling to engage; or like lots of novelty & new systems/settings... THEN easy pre-gen's are likely to be a better choice.

4 hours ago, Beorne said:

... When will [RQ Starter Set] be published approximately?  Will it have a pdf version too?

As others have said:
- print & PDF planned to simul-release
- likely this summer
- exact date TBD; depends largely on times that are largely outside Chaosium's control (printing, shipping, customs, another Ever Given crosswise in the Suez, etc)     [ n.b.  it is these "outside Chaosium control" issues that make Chaosium so reluctant to state availability dates very much in advance.  I think the Logistics Fairy may have some sort of grudge against them ... ]

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

34 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I thought it was Poland?

8 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

I thought I read that also in one of MOB's updates.

Yes, I think too, that it is Poland, but anyway, it doesn't make a difference, if you have to wait for a container ship coming from China to arrive in Europe, or if you have to wait for a container ship coming from Europe to arrive in Australia (which is the location of one Chaosium's warehouses), as the Starter Set will not be officially released until it is available in all Chaosium warehouses.

31 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Yes, I think too, that it is Poland, but anyway, it doesn't make a difference, if you have to wait for a container ship coming from China to arrive in Europe, or if you have to wait for a container ship coming from Europe to arrive in Australia (which is the location of one Chaosium's warehouses), as the Starter Set will not be officially released until it is available in all Chaosium warehouses.

Oh, I don't know... things can get stuck on a dockside for all sorts of reasons. Hopefully though the Starter set doesn't have geo-political significance.

Edited by RandomNumber
typo

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I thought it was Poland?

As said, China printer is indicated on the box picture:

kTGz8ZO.jpg

Most likely (my guessings):
. because it is a box, with dices
. it will be printed a lot, both to lower costs and because it will sell like hot cakes 🙂 !

WHERE IS IT BEING PRINTED: China (all other rumors are false)
WHAT HAPPENED TO PRINTING IN POLAND: All things change. We are The Chaosium.
WHEN WILL IT BE FOR SALE: Summer 2021, as recently announced (If I said "August" people will just hound me, so I won't say that)
WHAT ABOUT A PDF: Really? People think that we won't sell a PDF? Can you name any other RQG product we haven't sold as a PDF?
CAN I GET A PUPPY: YGWV.
BONUS ANSWER: Updated quickstart (rules alignment) is in the works.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

So if it had been printed in Poland .. we would get a Polish puppy.. now it's a Chinese puppy? 

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

WHAT ABOUT A PDF: Really? People think that we won't sell a PDF? Can you name any other RQG product we haven't sold as a PDF?

And the PDF version of the puppy will be available too? 

• Haha 5

Bad Chaosium!
Bad, bad, bad!

Almost gave me a heart-attack when I mis-read your post (above) as:

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

BONUS ANSWER: Updated quickstart (alignment rules) is in the works.

(n.b. yes, I edited/altered the (now mis-)quoted post, to match my original mis-reading)

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

WHERE IS IT BEING PRINTED: China (all other rumors are false)
WHAT HAPPENED TO PRINTING IN POLAND: All things change. We are The Chaosium.
WHEN WILL IT BE FOR SALE: Summer 2021, as recently announced (If I said "August" people will just hound me, so I won't say that)
BONUS ANSWER: Updated quickstart (rules alignment) is in the works.

Ducks, will there be ducks?

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

20 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Ducks, will there be ducks?

I think that there will be non-human pregens in the PDF version. So, presumably, yes there will be ducks. Or at least one duck. 

(But that did remind me to post a question re non-humans generally and the family history. See separate post). 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I wonder if the initial proof copies were printed in China and shipped by air.

All the images of the box and its contents shown so far have been renders.

On 4/18/2021 at 5:49 AM, Beorne said:

When will it be published approximately?

46671393_RQStarterSetSummer.jpeg.9d12ed30ad100af4029865ab47d36897.jpeg

On 4/18/2021 at 5:49 AM, Beorne said:

Will it have a pdf version too?

Yes. If you purchase the physical box version from Chaosium.com or a Bits and Mortar-affiliated FLGS you get the PDFs included in the price.

The PDF version will also be available separately, from Chaosium.com and DriveThruPG.

• Like 3