Tell me more about Queen Leika

Martin

We know that Leika was exiled in 1615 and took refuge in the hall of King Broyan with her close supporters. Following the Colymar tribal rebellions of 1615 and 1616, many exiled and outlawed Colymar followed her path to Whitewall.

What happened to her during and after the Whitewall siege? 

What did she do in the Great Winter? 

Did she join Broyan in Esrolia?

What did she do before the Dragonrise?

Does she become the Chieftain of the Blackspear Clan?

What does her harp Jeweled Note do?

Edited by Martin

12 hours ago, Martin said:

Does she become the Chieftain of the Blackspear Clan?

According to the description of her counter from "Found Counters of Dragon Pass", a extension of the board game Dragon Pass by Avalon Hill, which was available as a Fundraiser for the Kraken 2019:

Queen Beti is a Rebel Queen of Sartar. She wields the legendary Black Spear of the Colymar ...

Guide to Glorantha, Vol. 2, p.735

At the Battle of Queens, the Lunars were driven off, but at a high price. Queen Kallyr was killed; Queen Leika used the Black Spear to drive the enemy into the river where they drowned, which caused the Lunar attack to stop.

So yes, I would say she became the Chieftain of the Blackspear Clan.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:15 PM, Psullie said:

She gets a full bio in the GM Pack, as does the Jeweled Note 

Ah, I did overlook that one. This answers several of the above question - and I stand corrected. She is not the chieftain of the Anmangarn Clan (Black Spear Clan):

The clan chieftain is Vestorfin, a wily old Wind Lord loyal to Queen Leika.

(p.17)

She's of the Taraling Clan, but she's not even Chieftain of this clan:

Queen Leika comes from this clan; however, Verinos the Old is the clan chieftain (since 1613).

(p.19)

She has access to the Black Spear, because she is the Queen of the Colymar (after Kangharl "Blackmoor" was eaten by the Brown Dragon).

Edited by Oracle

18 hours ago, Martin said:

What happened to her during and after the Whitewall siege? 

Per the new RQ Adventure book she carries the Black Spear with her into exile.  So clearly she is guarding it and using it to maintain her status as Orlanth Rex of the Colymar.

p.23: "During the siege of Whitewall, she helped slay the Crimson Bat. She led a band of Colymar exiles at the battles of Auroch Hills, Nochet, and Pennel Ford, and was one of the chiefs who acclaimed Broyan King of Kethaela." - pretty much outlines her path as one of Broyan's captains.

She survives the assault that kills Broyan in 1625 before the Dragonrise.  

18 hours ago, Martin said:

What does her harp Jeweled Note do?

Also in the new book p.24.  It creates magical effects such as Harmony, Fear, and Fearless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Per the new RQ Adventure book she carries the Black Spear with her into exile.  So clearly she is guarding it and using it to maintain her status as Orlanth Rex of the Colymar.

p.23: "During the siege of Whitewall, she helped slay the Crimson Bat. She led a band of Colymar exiles at the battles of Auroch Hills, Nochet, and Pennel Ford, and was one of the chiefs who acclaimed Broyan King of Kethaela." - pretty much outlines her path as one of Broyan's captains.

She survives the assault that kills Broyan in 1625 before the Dragonrise.  

Also in the new book p.24.  It creates magical effects such as Harmony, Fear, and Fearless.

Jeweled Note was acquired in her Crown Test from the Duke of Disorder in the Snakepipe Caverns, which was in Wyrms Footnotes and I think in Wyrms Footprints too.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Puckohue said:

What were the reasons for her exile, more than "the lunars supported her rivals"? How did the tribe motivate the exile?

Kangharl and Leika are cousins/kin from the Taraling clan of the Colymar (see the Colymar lineage in RQG Adventures book p.21 - though note there is an error as Kangharl and Kolmhy entries are reversed). Both are ambitious, both desire to lead the Colymar. When Kallai, Kangharl's father, is exiled, it's Leika who gains the throne through her bold expedition into Snakepipe Hollow. Presumably the Lunars feed upon his grievance that as Kallai's son, he should have become king. The Lunars also hold some of Kangharl's children as "hostages". Leika was challenged to produce some of the tribal regalia and failed - so she had failed the tribe and was exiled.  Very Game of Thrones.

From SKoH p.276 

The Colymar Kinstrife
Since Starbrow’s Rebellion, the Colymar have been torn apart by kinstrife between two claimants to the tribal kingship, both from the same clan – Queen Leika and King Kangharl.
Leika was the leader of the “Ballistan” warband; an independent band of warriors and adventurers bound together as her personal companions. She allied with Redbird the Sorcerer during Starbrow’s Rebellion and went with him to Nochet to find the heir to the house of Sartar: Temertain. The Ballistans snuck Temertain into Boldhome where he managed to cause the Flame of Sartar to flicker to life. However, under Redbird’s influence Temertain made peace with the Empire and the Ballistans returned to Colymar lands.
King Kallai had been king of the Colymar during Starbrow’s Rebellion, but was exiled by Fazzur in the wake of his victory over the Sartarite rebels. Leika presented herself as a candidate for king and undertook a brave and harrowing journey into haunted Snake Pipe Hollow to destroy Chaos in its own lair. She succeeded and was acclaimed Queen by her joyous people, without any preliminary legal preparation, despite the other rivals.
One rival was her own kinsman Kangharl, formerly the Colymar warleader during Starbrow’s Rebellion and who led the fight against the Lunars at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious. After years of fighting against the Lunars he finally succumbed to Lunar sorcery and embraced the Lunar Way to further his ambitions. At the tribal assembly, Kangharl challenged Leika to produce the Ring of Command (a great golden torc woven from seven strands of gold twisted together and part of the tribal regalia) but she could not do so. Kangarl had the assembly exile Leika and proclaim him tribal king.
Called Blackmoor (an ancient insult against those traitor kings who sold their people out to Arkat and the trolls), the new king persuaded the Lunars to reduce their tribute on the Colymar. But the price was high: Lunar demons were allowed in the sacred tribal lands, many of the magical guardians removed, and a Lunar slave fort was permitted in the Nymie Vale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Puckohue said:

What were the reasons for her exile, more than "the lunars supported her rivals"? How did the tribe motivate the exile?

She was exiled because you don't stage a coup d'etat and let the previous ruler just stay around.

To make matters even worse, Kangharl was part of the Chan family, who held both the tribal kingship and the high priestess position. His father, mother, and surviving family members had been exiled, and he was a Lunar hostage. Like Theodoric the Great (who was a hostage of Constantinople in his youth) or Segestes of the Cherusci, Kangharl came to see that the Lunar Empire was victorious and that ultimately they were the true decision makes in Sartar. He made his peace with the Empire and was richly rewarded.

Until that day he got devoured by a True Dragon. Funny that. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, Jeff said:

She was exiled because you don't stage a coup d'etat and let the previous ruler just stay around.

To make matters even worse, Kangharl was part of the Chan family, who held both the tribal kingship and the high priestess position. His father, mother, and surviving family members had been exiled, and he was a Lunar hostage. Like Theodoric the Great (who was a hostage of Constantinople in his youth) or Segestes of the Cherusci, Kangharl came to see that the Lunar Empire was victorious and that ultimately they were the true decision makes in Sartar. He made his peace with the Empire and was richly rewarded.

Until that day he got devoured by a True Dragon. Funny that. 

Sorry to use chalana power on this post, but looking for Kangharl choices, I would like to know if there is any consensus (or canon story) explaining "how Kangharl decided to follow lunars"

is it  any lunar illumination(like beatpot) ?

any rational conversion (see how powerful we are, you want the kingdom , we share our power with you) ?

any irrational  conversion (if you love me, follow my faith in the red moon) ?

any  psychological effect (stockholm syndrome) ?

any magical domination (like sorcery spell, succubus ability, etc...) ?

or something else ?

1 hour ago, Scorus said:

Why didn't Leika have the torque when called upon to produce it? I assume Lunars had stolen it or something but I don't remember ever seeing that remarkable event explained. Does she have it now?

I believe it had been stolen or hidden.

I suspect it was eaten along with Kangharl at the Dragonrise. 

In my Colymar campaign, one of the challenges that Leika has now is that many parts of the tribal regalia are gone/devoured.  Consequently, she's sent Harmast off to find a new vision for the tribe, and hopefully get glimpses of artifacts that can help her replace what was lost.  They've recovered one, the Justice Spear, that had been lost at Auroch Hills during the battle there.  They just returned from a trek to Snakepipe Hollow where they gained another that Leika had envisioned, the Horn of the Forgotten.  There will probably end up being something for them to find in the Smoking Ruins, I suspect.

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

In my Colymar campaign, one of the challenges that Leika has now is that many parts of the tribal regalia are gone/devoured.

That's interesting. I don't think about regalia in the context of clans/tribes. Outside of whatever the wyter is in, if portable, I don't see that emphasized in the books very often.

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I suspect it was eaten along with Kangharl at the Dragonrise.

I'm picturing a Monty Python style scene were representatives from many clans, tribes, military units, temples, etc. are wading through dragon feces looking for undigestable remnants of their regalia...

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Scorus said:

Outside of whatever the wyter is in, if portable, I don't see that emphasized in the books very often.

Often referenced as "Clan Treasures".  There's examples in SKoH and some other sources.

42 minutes ago, Scorus said:

I'm picturing a Monty Python style scene were representatives from many clans, tribes, military units, temples, etc. are wading through dragon feces looking for undigestable remnants of their regalia...

That's assuming that True Dragons have such.  Perhaps the 'undigestible' remnants are spawned as dream dragons, wyverns, or other draconic things.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scorus said:

Dragonrise - the Fall-Out. And you thought Sky Bulls were a bad idea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 5 months later...

Ok, so in describing Leika's ascension on FB (in July) Jeff references the situation with the two tribal kings of Colymar from 1615-1625. 

So, Korlmhy overthrows Leika with Lunar military aid. Kangharl is a lunar hostage. Of course, in S:KoH it seems Kangharl was this Korlmhy, so to speak.

I've tried to wrack my brain and resolve what all this points at, but I just don't get it. Your insight or speculation would be appreciated.

Kangharl overthrows Leika. Kangharl is the son of Kallai Rockbuster.

I think what jajagappa was saying was that on the Taraling Lineage Chart on p. 21. The Box labeled "Kohlmy" the one with 2 wives, 2 sons, and 1 daughter (none named) should really be Kangharl.

Should Kolmhy be spelled Korlmhy?

2 hours ago, Bren said:

Should Kolmhy be spelled Korlmhy?

Yes.

4 hours ago, Grievous said:

So, Korlmhy overthrows Leika with Lunar military aid. Kangharl is a lunar hostage. Of course, in S:KoH it seems Kangharl was this Korlmhy, so to speak.

I've tried to wrack my brain and resolve what all this points at, but I just don't get it. Your insight or speculation would be appreciated.

It can be played in a few different ways depending upon your preference.

1) Kangharl / Korlmhy is simply a ruthless ambitious man.

Kangharl was adventurous (participated in the events of Greg's pre-Starbrow Rebellion campaign).  He helped raise the Colymar against the Lunars.  When defeated, he went into exile.  Depending on how you read the Colymar lineage in GM Adventure's p.21, some of his family may have been taken hostage by the Lunars to ensure he did not rebel further.  While in exile, his cousin Leika, who he probably does not like, takes the Colymar throne.  He is angered by this, and comes to an agreement with the Lunars where he gets the kingship in return for Lunar support and favors.  He rules harshly for 10 years, and takes his revenge upon those who supported Leika, particularly within his own Taraling clan.  This is largely the version presented in SKoH and the GM Adventure text on p.10-12.

2) Kangharl / Korlmhy is a Lunar puppet or tragic figure.

Kangharl was adventurous (participated in the events of Greg's pre-Starbrow Rebellion campaign).  He helped raise the Colymar against the Lunars.  When defeated, he went into exile, and Leika became King in the aftermath.  The Lunars did not like Leika.  They coerced Kangharl through the use of hostages to challenge, overthrow, and exile Leika, which he did.  The Lunars continued to manipulate and use Kangharl to advance their position while his family remained hostages (probably in Furthest).  Kangharl may be a puppet who takes out his frustrations with the Lunars against his clan.  Or may just do what he's told like Temertain.  Or is a tragic figure trying to find a way to save his family. 

You can then choose whether Kangharl is the family man in the lineage, or the brother of the Lunar hostages (i.e. wicked uncle, wandering "hero", etc.).

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Yes.

It can be played in a few different ways depending upon your preference.

1) Kangharl / Korlmhy is simply a ruthless ambitious man.

Kangharl was adventurous (participated in the events of Greg's pre-Starbrow Rebellion campaign).  He helped raise the Colymar against the Lunars.  When defeated, he went into exile.  Depending on how you read the Colymar lineage in GM Adventure's p.21, some of his family may have been taken hostage by the Lunars to ensure he did not rebel further.  While in exile, his cousin Leika, who he probably does not like, takes the Colymar throne.  He is angered by this, and comes to an agreement with the Lunars where he gets the kingship in return for Lunar support and favors.  He rules harshly for 10 years, and takes his revenge upon those who supported Leika, particularly within his own Taraling clan.  This is largely the version presented in SKoH and the GM Adventure text on p.10-12.

2) Kangharl / Korlmhy is a Lunar puppet or tragic figure.

Kangharl was adventurous (participated in the events of Greg's pre-Starbrow Rebellion campaign).  He helped raise the Colymar against the Lunars.  When defeated, he went into exile, and Leika became King in the aftermath.  The Lunars did not like Leika.  They coerced Kangharl through the use of hostages to challenge, overthrow, and exile Leika, which he did.  The Lunars continued to manipulate and use Kangharl to advance their position while his family remained hostages (probably in Furthest).  Kangharl may be a puppet who takes out his frustrations with the Lunars against his clan.  Or may just do what he's told like Temertain.  Or is a tragic figure trying to find a way to save his family. 

You can then choose whether Kangharl is the family man in the lineage, or the brother of the Lunar hostages (i.e. wicked uncle, wandering "hero", etc.).

And what about him finding the light of the Lunar Way at the defeat of the rebellion just like Beat-Pot in the webcomic?

• Like 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

And what about him finding the light of the Lunar Way at the defeat of the rebellion just like Beat-Pot in the webcomic?

Yes, another perfectly valid option. 

Or he realized the truth about Kallyr Starbrow, that she was willing to sacrifice everyone and everything to her plan to become King of Sartar.  And he saw Leika as willing to aid Kallyr in that cause (though that actually seems very unlikely) so he took it upon himself to save the Colymar from destruction.

Lots of possibilities that you can shape to your Gloranthan story.

The key elements are:

1. There is a definite rivalry or antagonism between Kangharl and Leika.  Jealousy or envy?  Long-time grudge?  Competitive rivalry?  Personal rejection?
  2. Kangharl aids or accepts the Lunar Empire for ten years while Leika is off fighting against it.

The Korlmhy angle is then something that can be used or ignored to add to the picture, whether as notable troublemaker, Lunar hostage, third wheel in the rivalry, wicked uncle, ...

• Like 2

There's something really ironic in Leika being responsible for Temertain (along with Redbird, of course). I have to assume that this plays a role in Kangharl and Leika's relationship along with Kallyr and Leika's. Of course, that's history. I think that it would require a heaping helping of chutzpah to suggest Leika Ballista, faithful companion of Broyan at Whitewall, might well have been suspiciously accommodating to the Lunars in her brief first rule, and only turned against them when they decided that, actually, Kangharl was offering a sweeter deal...

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Personally, it always seemed to me like Leika was never exactly friendly to the Lunars, but that she was willing to undercut Kallyr and back a pliable idiot for Prince out of simple personal ambition (and maybe just actual dislike of Kallyr), which happened to play into the Lunars' hands quite nicely. She might have been convinced that she could preserve her independence, or at least be given more latitude than the Lunars were actually willing to grant. IMO, the Lunars backed Kangharl to depose Leika because she was too proud and/or ambitious to accept the same deal Kangharl did.

Ok, but none of these theories or discussion seem to really account for Kangharl and Korlmhy being two different people, but I guess we can assume Kangharl precedes Korlmhy as tribal king and general troublemaker. Of course, that doesn't jive at all with S:KoH and with the idea of keeping that at least a little bit canonical I'm still stumped on how to incorporate Korlmhy so that the notes and lineage charts make sense. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway thanks for your musings on the subject!

Edited by Grievous