Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

Damn...

Like some people I've never met him and don't know him as a person but I love his work and he seemed to be a great dude too.

RIP and condolence to his family and friends.

I really hope that his legacy will last but that seems to have started well with RQ:G and some younger people have started to know Glorantha since the popularization of the KoDP game. (The small fandom on 4chan /tg/ is really a great example)

May he have found the Horned Man beyond the Spirit World to become a Great Spirit of Storytelling.

• Like 1

It's no exaggeration to say that I've spent thousands of hours enjoying Greg's work.  Probably tens of thousands...   Since around 1998 me and my crew have gathered in one way or another to spend time with each other.  I think everyone loved Greg.  I think also people loved to complain about him. :)  But he was inspirational in the literal sense of the word.  Not just rules but worlds.  Who can say they inspired a world?

Thank you seems insufficient.rue-dark.thumb.png.977964df24b555a8e8582514cbb84991.png

Edited by Rico Mariani
  • Like 3

I have been a fan of Chasoium and Runequest since 1987, and I am amazed at what Greg has done with Glornantha, and for founding the best game company around (at least for me for the past 30 years). Thank you Greg you have left your mark on the world with an incredible mythology and legacy that will last long beyond your time.

My condolences to your family and friends, I wish we could have met.

• Like 1

RIP from France a very big fan of Runequest. It is not for nothing that I chose as pseudo "Argrath the Troll" ... I met you, many years ago at a convention in Paris. You were accompanied by S. Petersen. I asked you for an autograph and you signed me very nicely my box of Stormbringer bought that day. Then Petersen had signed my little dice box, on which I had engraved a sign of the ancients. You laughed and then said to Petersen and me "Now that you signed on it, it will not work anymore!" Memories of a great teenager in front of two Role Playing and Fantasy monsters. I am very sad tonight. I offer my deepest condolences to Mr. Stafford's family and loved ones. Thank you Mr. Stafford

43728869_10215303848983718_563892827591802880_o.jpg

43828364_10215303830023244_2919175845299879936_n.jpg

• Like 3

I met Greg in person somewhere in the early 80s. He was the one who got me to read “Hero With 1000 Faces,” as he explained HeroQuest. No one else had that mix of game play, myth and scholarship that Greg had. 

I had White Bear/Red Moon & Nomad Gods, but never played either. And never felt like there was anything wrong with that. 

The last few days, I have been reading the new version of RQ. It is as fresh a world as the one I discovered in the late 70s. 

Thank you, Greg, for all that you created, and shared. You will be missed. 

Condolences to the family. 

• Like 1

Glorantha was never my world. But the world-building! I found Pendragon in the 80's and more or less immediately found Stormbringer, RQ, CoC and a BRP-based ElfQuest game (seriously?!), and I have never looked back. I have dwelt in part in worlds Greg Stafford made (or seen them through lenses he crafted) for more than thirty years. How can you thank someone for that? I carried books of his to war and into the depths of the sea. Worlds of his helped me survive the war at home I left behind. The best gaming imaginings I ever did were on his shoulders.

He was the Keeper and the Gate.

• Like 1

I first came to Greg's work via Pendragon, but have since discovered and fallen in love with Glorantha as well, like so many others. Greg and his work changed my life. Words cannot express the depth of my admiration or my sadness.

I shared some other thoughts and memories over on my blog: http://www.sirlarkins.com/blog/2018/10/11/the-passing-of-a-legend

• Like 1

Greg has been bringing joy, excitement and fun into my life since I was 16, in the early 80s when I played my first game of RQ in Melbourne, Australia. I have played nearly all the games he designed and he has enriched my life and those of my friends in uncountable ways. It was playing his games that gave me the chance to meet my wife as well as some of my best friends. I treasure the times I met with him at Conventions around the world and our last 4 hour conversation on a drive back from Gencon, 2 years ago.

He died with his shamanic "boots on" and his legacy will live on in legend. 

My condolences to Suzanne and his family.

• Like 1

His stunning vision and desire to share it with us all enriched our lives more than I could have imagined possible. Thank you Greg, and my love and condolences to his family and to the Chaosium community.

I think this is the oldest picture I have of greg, from Tentacles 1999.

P000402.jpg

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 8

One of the people who influenced my life in a profound way has passed. Beyond the world of gaming, it was his work that pushed me to pursue my degree in anthropology, and I worked with Greg on my very first Cthulhu inspired product — the official Great Cthulhu vinyl model kit. He was a joy to work with as our phone conversations wandered from the business of licensing for Call of Cthulhu, to Praxian shamans, to Clifford Geertz, to the rules of Nomad Gods, and back to business.

He was one of the good ones and will be deeply missed.

• Like 1

A very sad day. It's difficult to express what the man represented for so many of us veteran gamers - but I'll give it a try.

Greg Stafford was one of the greatest game designers of all times. And he was one of the very few authentic visionaries on our hobby. Some gaming authors manage to write classics. Greg Stafford wrote masterpieces. 

Runequest gave me some of my first great RPG memories - and running the Pendragon campaign remains a milestone in my personal history as a gamemaster as well as an individual - the way that reading some novels can change you.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Adieu, monsieur Stafford et merci pour tous ces moments

Edited by Olivier Legrand
  • Like 2

Like many, if not most others on here, Mr. Stafford's work has been a very large part of my life. Upon the discovery of rpg's in general, it wasn't long till I discovered RQ and CoC. To this day, I still play CoC and RQ and have introduced countless players over the last nearly 40 years, including my youngest. She is now running her own CoC campaigns and she's reading up on Glorantha to start an RQ campaign. I've run RQ (from RQII on up!) in the mountains of Bosnia, the valleys of Kosovo, above the tree line in the Arctic Circle and all across North America.

My family's sincere condolences to Mr. Stafford's family and friends. He will be missed, but his presence will certainly continue to be felt at tables around the globe.

• Like 3