Known Symbols of Peaceful Approach (aka White Flags)

claycle

1 hour ago, claycle said:

What are common, cross-culturally understood symbols (like a white flag) that a person in Dragon Pass might display to an enemy (Sartarite, Lunar, Troll, etc...) to communicate peaceful intent and a desire to parley?

The Harmony rune carried on a staff. I know that I've seen pics of it, but I can't find them atm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Brootse said:

The Harmony rune carried on a staff. I know that I've seen pics of it, but I can't find them atm.

latest?cb=20181112005722

Communication rather than Harmony, but the intent of "we're here to deal peacefully, not make war" should still carry through regardless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Both Communication and Harmony, or whatever symbols Issaries traders and Chalana Arroy temples use, would be synonymous with "hey friend let's talk" and "don't hit us, we just want to help".

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 6/7/2020 at 6:51 AM, Leingod said:

latest?cb=20181112005722

Communication rather than Harmony, but the intent of "we're here to deal peacefully, not make war" should still carry through regardless.

There's a different pic with Communication... I think when the OrlanthI show up.

On 6/7/2020 at 5:24 AM, claycle said:

What are common, cross-culturally understood symbols (like a white flag) that a person in Dragon Pass might display to an enemy (Sartarite, Lunar, Troll, etc...) to communicate peaceful intent and a desire to parley?

Also from Six Ages, holding your sword in sheath up and away from you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, Leingod said:

What is the source of these great pics? They all seem to come from the same place.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

32 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Given Chalana Arroy's association with peace, white really might be seen as the color of peace even in Glorantha.

Quite likely. Whether you call her Chalanna Arroy or Erissa, you probably don't need any special accessory to denote that you come in peace other than what you're wearing:

latest?cb=20190417215942

Though I'm sure the Harmony Rune on the chest and trim doesn't hurt.

Edited by Leingod
  • Like 1

Changing the subject completely: one thing we do know (or possibly not) is that Mostali are suspected of misinterpreting symbols everyone else understands as meaning "We come in peace."  To quote from a long exposition of Dwarf Lore by Greg Stafford's character Tostig:

All this is fact. Tostig assures everyone, for he is well-read and widely traveled. This is all quite important for our defense, after all. "We should probably attack first. They never tell the truth. Don’t trust a Mostali peace signal. Sometimes their sign language is completely opposite ours. It happened that way to King Amaling in Seshnela."

Source: "Why I Dislike Mostali," by Greg Stafford, from Different Worlds #24 (September 1982). I shared more of this in a Note on Facebook. Later in this same encounter, a group of dwarfs responds appropriately to an Issaries peace-sign: make of that what you will.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, JanPospisil said:

Some gestures I invented for Six Ages:

[SNIP]

Thanks for sharing this! Very cool.

Also, just to give @Jan Pospisil some very well deserved credit for that art, am I the only time who is dying to see a Gloranthan comic in this art style? I can't think of a better artist for the job. Here's hoping you'll remain a part of the Gloranthan pantheon of artists for a long time!

• Like 1

I'd actually love to see a "graphic novel"-style Gloranthan comic book by Jan, the continuation of Prince of Sartar by Kalin, and humorous vignettes by Dario.

With covers by Dan for all of them 🙂

Edited by GianniVacca
  • Like 3