Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

Western languages clearly distinguish internal vowels because there's little textual urgency to differentiate TaLaR from TaLoR. However if they run on a consonantal root basis Gloranthan cabalists have spent endless hours trying to "resolve" the laughing warrior as an emanation or commentary on the father of genealogy and trade . . . perhaps with surprising results.

On the other hand if Western dialects consider /r/ and /l/ as well as /m/ and /n/ to be equivalent pairs then the confusion between DRoMaL and DRoNaR becomes theoretically trivial while remaining politically explosive. DoRMaL, however, may be an emanation or commentary on the one but not necessarily the other.

Edited by scott-martin
and note that "D" can be written as the triangular wedge ("law") and confused with Pelorian /y/
  • Like 6

singer sing me a given

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

The ”mal” parts of Yelmalio, Elmal, Eurmal, Flamal, Malia, Dormal, Malkion, Artmal and Pamalt all mean the same thing. What? Only Lhankor Mhy knows, and he’s not telling.

Hopefully not what French "mal" represents 😎 (Mal de mere, malaria, malfeasance) OTOH -- it might apply for Eurmal, Malia, and a few others...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Hopefully not what French "mal" represents 😎 (Mal de mere, malaria, malfeasance) OTOH -- it might apply for Eurmal, Malia, and a few others...

Hello Baron. 'Mal de mer' (sea sickness), not 'Mal de mere' (Mother's sickness), and 'malfaisance'.

• Thanks 1

1000% yes:

Andrew Logan Montgomery on "Glorantha, Meaning, and Mythology":

The point of all this is that the Elmal/Yelmalio “switch” can only bother you if you assume your god cuts himself shaving. That is to say, he is a singular biological entity. This is the kind of god popularized in the 1960s with books like Chariots of the Gods, the ludicrous notion that the gods of ancient mythologies must have just been really advanced aliens. Comics like Jack Kirby’s Eternals or New Gods—or the Asgardians of Marvel’s Thor—took the idea and ran with it, ending in books like Deities & Demigods. If you regard a god as simply a being with super-powers and longevity, switching from worshipping Elmal to worshipping Yelmalio seems like switching between two different people. If you view gods as expressions of the numinous, on the other hand, as Gloranthans do, there is no confusion.

Here's link to the rest of essay on his blog:

https://andrewloganmontgomery.blogspot.com/2021/09/glorantha-meaning-and-mythology.html

(BTW I'm sharing it in this 'My Dumbest Theory' thread – hands down my favourite thread on BRP Central – as a compliment to Drew's wonderful insights about Glorantha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Chariots of the Gods: that takes me back... We used to enjoy insane speculations about Lodrilli landing in phallic rocket-ships vs. their Yelmic overlords turning up later in hovering flying saucers back in ancient Dara Happan prehistory. That stuff probably belongs in this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

apkallu-seal_0773-edit.jpeg.ac1de3f61d2b2bd4b370e4cd1a476064.jpegMUSIC CUE:  soulful duduk

There are those who believe the children of waertag came from a distant "planet," the fantasy bronze age equivalent of outer space. Early inscriptions told of a great and pyrrhic war of "boats" with another blue people, the "artmalite empire."

The funny thing is that statistically every "waereran" human now bears some genetic markers and arguably other humans bear others. It is known.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

singer sing me a given

On 9/3/2021 at 11:00 AM, RHW said:

INT. GOD LEARNER LAB - DAY 

Professor Bunsen Honeydew prepares a vial full of glowing fiery red fluid. His assistant Beaker nervously holds a flask full of oily black gunk.

Great, just friggin great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, jajagappa said:

May give new meaning to Euglyptus Assiday dying of a surfeit of "eels"...

Yes, what most people fail to grasp is that the Eel family surreptitiously feed the portion of their many servants and slaves who displease them to the hidden ogre population of the Empire in secret cacodemon orgies.  As any of the folk belonging to their extended holdings can be referred to as an Eel, as they are effectively allied to the Eel faction (like it or not), a surfeit of Eels can often be subtext for chaotic cannibalism.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Good advice unless you meet the real Arkat.

Didn't stop the real Arkat when he met the real Arkat.

3 hours ago, MOB said:

Andrew Logan Montgomery on "Glorantha, Meaning, and Mythology":

[snip]

Of course, given how many superheroes have turned out to be other ones under different masks (Marvel's Thor has also been Siegfried for example), viewing them as being switchable has nothing to do with them as divine forces or advanced aliens.

A mask is a mask, regardless of who's or what's behind it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

Didn't stop the real Arkat when he met the real Arkat.

Love it. Only one could come home at that point. The extended version of this I've seen gets a little more complicated . . .

You meet an Arkat on the road. Let him go. If he doesn't come back, he was a fake. Otherwise, you're out too far and you're both the real Arkat. Only one of you can come back without leaving at least a little something behind.

• Like 4

singer sing me a given

2 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Love it. Only one could come home at that point. The extended version of this I've seen gets a little more complicated . . .

You meet an Arkat on the road. Let him go. If he doesn't come back, he was a fake. Otherwise, you're out too far and you're both the real Arkat. Only one of you can come back without leaving at least a little something behind.

Wouldn't Arkat meeting Arkat in the same space continuum will create a tear in reality preventing Arkat to come back for Arkat?

(This sounds like a mind twister planned by some illuminated Crimson Bat lover)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

The secret technique: deal yourself the unhealable wound, becoming "The Arkat With The Dolorous Papercut" etc., distinct from the other Arkat facing you, shortcircuiting that process of recognition. This may, of course, catapult you randomly through the Godtime. Results not guaranteed.

(The classic Firesign Theater album, "I think we're all Arkats on this bus"...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 9/9/2021 at 1:58 AM, Akhôrahil said:

The ”mal” parts of Yelmalio, Elmal, Eurmal, Flamal, Malia, Dormal, Malkion, Artmal and Pamalt all mean the same thing. What? Only Lhankor Mhy knows, and he’s not telling.

That's Lhankor Mal...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis