Chaosium's Latest Statement on BRP

fmitchell

"There was a lot more talked about and some under a secret oath (and I don't want to find something nasty at the foot of my bed tonight)."

As long as the Nasty Thing At The Foot Of The Bed doesn't have percentile stats, you can still oppose it with the Resistance Table.  ;)

• Like 3

BRP is not going to be RQ it's going to be small, cheap (or free) booklet that is basic.

• 32-page core rules will be based on RuneQuest 6 and they want new settings to be self-contained with the rules.

Okay, now I'm more confused than I was. Is the 32-page BRP Essentials going to be based on RuneQuest 6, or on the Big Gold Book?

Given how much confusion there has already been - lets defer declaring who was correct until its ACTUALLY released, then there can be no doubt!

cheers,

Nick

I agree, let's see what the actual new BRP is when it comes out and go from there.

I will say however, that if it is based off RQ6 it wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'd still like BRP to stay with the BGB.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Well it makes sense to base the BRP Essentials of either RQ6 or CoC 7E for the sake of consistency. Both are more recent builds of the BRP system which feel 'fresh', and given the age of BRP then it is not surprising that a more recent build of the system is the one they are going with. Not saying that I dislike BGB or MW, and I would rather play them over most other rpgs on the market today.

Given the mixed bag of concerns that surround CoC 7E, and the fact that RQ6 is reasonably popular (for an indie game), it is pretty clear which one to go with as a core system.

Not sure where this puts CoC 7E however. A flagship setting that is not using the core build may be a issue, and it makes me wonder that if it survives to be CoC 8E it could possibly be further tweaked to be consistent with the BRP Essentials - pure speculation.

The fact that RQ2 may be reprinted is a surprise, although as we know, Rick Meints is into classic reprints so this will be something more for older fans rather than something to grab a new audience. I expect we'll also see WoW reprinted as well. Which also means that BRP BGB and MW could also be published again later as a legacy system for a niche market, that sounds like something that could be considered down the track; I don't think we have seen the last of the BGB or MW, but it is clear that they are firmly shelved for the time being.

As much as I like the BGB, perhaps many people right in saying that it is a little big and clunky for entry to the BRP system. I loved it when it came out, but I must say I have grown fond of having a slimmer set of rules at the table, such as RQ Essentials, Renaissance Deluxe, OpenQuest Basic, or even GORE. There is a charm to that, and I can see why this will be the way forward.

It is a shame for MW however, as it is clear that there is alot of love for the system, and Ben Monroe's enthusiastic presence that comes along with it. If this forum's views are representative of the buying public, it may not have been a great thing to put BRP/MW on the back burner.

At least things are getting a little clearer now I guess, but I expect things really won't move forward in leaps and bounds until next year after the  CoC 7E kickstarter books have been shipped

The main thing is that the BRP system is surviving in some form yet again,which is great to see

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Telling folks won't stop them posting passive-aggressive negative material that doesn't help a struggling company get back on an even keel does it.

The internet never lets truth get in the way of a good post that keeps a thread at the top of the list.

Also just back from Kraken and attended the same seminar as nclarke.

• There will be no big generic rulebook except for the Golden Book available on pdf and print-on-demand.
  • 32-page core rules will be based on RuneQuest 6 and they want new settings to be self-contained with the rules.
  • Magic World will unfortunately not be prioritized now.

Honestly, nclarke, I don't understand why you say that people here were talking crap and are ignoring the truth. Especially in view of what Trif is saying about the same seminar you attended. People here were speculating that the new BRP could be based on RQ6 rather than on BGB. And now Trif confirms that. 

Also, I said that your report was consistent with what was emerging because it was as far as the facts you mentioned are concerned. 

As for the negative tone and passive aggressiveness: I don't know. I can speak only for myself, there are many things I quite like in these developments and a few I don't like so much. I think tha overall the tone of my posts was mostly positive and constructive. Also, one or two posts were jocular (Just to be clear, I don't seriously think the new BRP will look like D&D4 :D).

I'm happy you had a great time at the Kraken. You're right: I should really get my act act together and attend next year.

• Like 2

• "RuneQuest" will be a slimmed down rule- and settingbook for Glorantha, with gloranthan cults and other stuff following.

Interesting. 

Hallelujah. I was hoping that they weren't going to use CoC7 as the model for the core rules. 

That's going to be a pretty stripped-down RQ6 to fit that page-count. I can't imagine they'd be able to fit in much of the way of Special Effects, nor culture/occupation detail. Much less a magic system of any kind.

• Old RuneQuest 2 will be put back in print!

Nice. I hope they release it as a "deluxe" or anniversary edition, much like Wotc's premium reprints. Personally, I've got a few copies of RQ2, so if it's just a basic POD it won't really appeal to me.

• Like 1

Not sure where this puts CoC 7E however. A flagship setting that is not using the core build may be a issue, and it makes me wonder that if it survives to be CoC 8E it could possibly be further tweaked to be consistent with the BRP Essentials - pure speculation.

It does seem a little odd that they're going to maintain this system divergence rather than have a single BRP-version to rule them all, across game-lines.

• CoC7thE has had priority, but seems to be resolving now. Much other CoC material is ready in the pipeline, waiting for 7E to come out.

This is obviously good news for all. CoC is vital for the bottom line and is a huge part of Chaosium's history. Personally, I was more of a CoC fan twenty years ago than I am now. For various reasons, I did not get to play it in a long time and, for the moment, CoC7 failed to rekindle the flame... but who knows... 

UK printer for fulfillment of European orders is coming, which means less shipping cost for us outside the US. 

Wonderful news! It's ages I don't buy physical books directly from Chaosium because of the atrocious shipping costs. 

• "RuneQuest" will be a slimmed down rule- and settingbook for Glorantha, with gloranthan cults and other stuff following.

Personally, I like very much that RQ will be Gloranthan and slimmer than the RQ6 behemoth. It will be a momentous homecoming RuneQuest, Glorantha, Third Age together at Chaosium! It something that does not happen since the times of RQ2! We had the brief season of the Gloranthan Renaissance with Ken Rolston in the '90s, but it was published by Avalon Hill. Mongoose was Second Age, etc.

• There will be no big generic rulebook except for the Golden Book available on pdf and print-on-demand.

Both BGB and RQ6 fans are already complaining for the demise of their respective generic versions. It is however a very wise move to keep BGB as print on demand and PDF. Keeping the past editions alive is really the way to go. Look at D&D classics!

If it turns out to be something similar to OpenQuest I will like it. I will miss certain traditional aspects of BRP such the Resistance Table and the experience system based on skill use. Chaosium flourished in the '80s with self-contained BRP games from Stormbringer to ElfQuest ... I hope it can happen again!

• Mythic Iceland 2nd Edition will be re-released as a stand-alone book with the rules included and a campaign book is being prepared for the setting.

I will rush to buy this!

• Old RuneQuest 2 will be put back in print!

Well, I have already two copies, but...I will be tempted.

• Magic World will unfortunately not be prioritized now.

That's a pity. But, it's good that they decided to keep it available in print on demand.

All in all, interesting times ahead...

• Like 1

This seems to be slightly different than what was said by nClarke. Hmmm. :unsure:

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

It does seem a little odd that they're going to maintain this system divergence rather than have a single BRP-version to rule them all, across game-lines.

Yes. If they stuck with BRP, support overall would be much easier. Now they will have to support two different lines. 

SDLeary

<SIGH> This is what I was afraid of. 

SDLeary

To me this seems the most practical. At only 32 pages, the rules can easily be interspersed into the product. And I know I wouldn't want to have to keep flipping between the two books to run a game, when one is so small. I can understand where you're coming from however, and would see it more of a problem if the core book was much largerarrow-10x10.png.

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

To me this seems the most practical. At only 32 pages, the rules can easily be interspersed into the product. And I know I wouldn't want to have to keep flipping between the two books to run a game, when one is so small. I can understand where you're coming from however, and would see it more of a problem if the core book was much largerarrow-10x10.png.

Well, now they have two different systems to support. BRP as it exists in CoC (still recognizable if you don't use the x5 characteristics), and RQ, which while similar is not BRP. It also means that there will probably sadly be ANOTHER new version of CoC in the not too distant future, which shifts the rules again... this time to RQX (shorthand for Not-RQ7).

SDLeary

• Like 2

Guest Vile Traveller

BRP is not going to be RQ it's going to be small, cheap (or free) booklet that is basic.

Come on guys, get your story straight or we'll have to keep on with the pie in the sky speculation crap.  :lol:

So, BRP Essentials will be based on RQ6 - you're sure about that Sverre?

That's what I heard at least. :P

I'd be surprised if we didn't see some changes in CoC8E, but that's probably far in the future.

Nice. I hope they release it as a "deluxe" or anniversary edition, much like Wotc's premium reprints. Personally, I've got a few copies of RQ2, so if it's just a basic POD it won't really appeal to me.

It will be a Kickstarter to get it to the printers, so I guess it will be better than just a PoD.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Guest Vile Traveller

Hopefully the premium version will come in a little under the cost of one of the red hardbacks ... ;)

Well if they're going as far as Kickstarting a decent copy of RQ2 I guess PoD and PDF are also a given. That will go a long way towards getting my local players to give it a go!

Edited by Vile

Clearing up some of the confusion. Making BRP a 32 page booklet that is free or very cheap as a stand-alone product is Chaosium having an entry-level basic ruleset (they can see what WotC have done). This set of rules is effectively part of the licence for a BRP setting book i.e. Mythic Iceland ver 2 will have those rules incorporated in the book.

I didn't get that Chaosium will have a EU printer I believe it was more that POD printing will be done for EU product avoiding the international shipping issue (Lulu seemed to be the option with most positive feedback from customers).

The CoC 7e and Glorantha lines diverging rules-wise are not seen as an issue at present.

Chaosium specifically said that RQ2 and RQ3 players form a large part of the fan-base and they intend to tap into that market with future product.

Specifically for Smiorgan - A lot of F&D is being put about by folks who don't like the direction CoC7e took and don't like MW being put on the back burner and whine and complain here and on other fora. It does no good to whine and the sort of speculation being pushed with the agenda of those people here and on other sites raises concerns in fence sitters who may now not choose to go the Chaosium route. Provocative thread titles like 'Has Chaosium died' do not engender a feeling of positive action being taken as a response to the notice of the company going virtual.

Not sure why SDLeary is speculating on future directions for CoC it seemed to me that the Chaosium team had no qualms about the current 7e version other than the issues with getting the KS fulfilled. Although Mike Mason wasn't present the Chaosium were full of praise for the direction he's taking with fresh material , organised game play and similar things with CoC 7e. The Chaosium team at The Kraken were more focused on Glorantha as that is the main focus of the convention but had no difficulty in covering concerns about MW and CoC even if lot's of participants didn't appear that concerned.

As a quick aside Glorathan material is moving on to 1628 and the team are happy to accept material and to see it being posted on-line. The Guide is the core material that needs to be followed for major events etc when writing material for them with a view to being published.

Nigel