RuneQuest 2 reprint

Missiletoebass

8 hours ago, jux said:

I wonder how the RQ2 reprint is different to OQ2?

Well, in lots of respects! They are entirely two separate d100 games.

OpenQuest is born as a much simplified ruleset created out of Mongoose RuneQuest 1st edition (MRQ1) from 2006. RuneQuest Classic Edition is a reprint of the 1980 RuneQuest second edition by Chaosium (RQ2), with a few errata and additions. OpenQuest may have taken some "flavor" inspiration from RQ2 in the spell rules, but mechanically they are as different as two d100 games can be.

RQ2 hit locations ---- OQ general hit points only

RQ2 separate skills for weapons --- OQ generic combat skills

RQ2 separate attack-parry skills --- OQ unified skill

RQ2 substract defense score from attack roll-- OQ roll dodge skill

RQ2 strike rank factoring in size and weapon type --- OQ DEX ranks

RQ2 characteristic x5 rolls (not as generalized as in later BRP though) --- OQ resistances as skills

RQ2 resistance table --- OQ opposed rolls with resistances as skill

RQ2 parry based on weapon HP --- OQ parry based on weapon size categories

RQ2 skill category modifiers based on characteristics --- OQ base skill chance based on sum of two characteristics

RQ2 rune magic takes effect automatically -- OQ requires appropriate skill roll for divine magic

RQ2 experience based on skill use -- OQ experience based on GM granting experience rolls when adventure objectives are met

So, a lot!

• Like 6

Here's what is in the Appendices:

A. Characteristics

B. Weapons Definitions

C. Optional Combat Rules

D. Rune Identities

E. Natural Damages and Conditions

F. Referee Notes

G. Languages of Glorantha in the Dragon Pass Region

H. Previous Experience

I. Disease

J. Sample Encounter Charts

K. Map: Sartar and environs

L. Map: Prax and environs

M. Chaotic Features Table

N. Bibliography

O. Other Gloranthan Material

P. Character Sheets

Q. A Price List of Goods

R. The Birth of the Minotaur

S. Divine Intervention and Divination

T. What It Takes to Convince the Examiners

U. Ghosts and Spirit Combat

V. Rurik Runespea

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 7

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 15/11/2015, 20:34:38, hkokko said:

RQ2 is to me nostalgia from the days of long gone. Have the red hardback and the softcover as well. Will probably buy this edition as well but just for the collection. 

In contrast, I will buy the reprint with the hope of actually playing some Pavis, Borderlands and  (especially) Griffin Mountain games. I used to play Gloranthan Classics with RQ3 and (sort of) convert on the fly. Using my venerable copies of RQ2 was not appealing - too scared of them disintegrating!

The idea of a brand new sturdy hardcover to play the original adventures is very appealing! 

I like RQ6 but it's sufficiently different (and complex) that it makes the prospect of conversion unattractive.

I've never found RQ6 or even Legend rules complex compared to 3.5 D&D or Pathfinder. For me it's the right amount of rules and combat flows smoothly. There are many much more complicated systems to compare to. RQ6 and Legend honestly doesn't measure up to such a statement.

• Like 2

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Obviously there is going to be a great Glorantha connection here, but is RQ2 going to be setting specific or will there be room for other settings? Clearly individuals can use it (or other systems) for their home brew stuff, so I am meaning published settings? 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, ReignDragonSMH said:

Obviously there is going to be a great Glorantha connection here, but is RQ2 going to be setting specific or will there be room for other settings? Clearly individuals can use it (or other systems) for their home brew stuff, so I am meaning published settings? 

That'd be great for all us gamer old timers. Could really boost the d100 market by giving those who fell away to return and draw in new people as well.

Yeah however non-ogc protects ALL your IP. It doesn't require you to put what is and isn't open content. I know game mechanics can't be copyrighted but still. Non-ogc allows as much protection as possible. I take it Chaosium is interested in that so licenses would allow for similar protections.

Guest Vile Traveller

I did use RQ2 for every genre under the sun, but there were not that many products using those actual rules IIRC. Thieves' World, ElfQuest, and Ringworld are out because of licensing. There was the Gateway Bestiary, one of my favourites, and Questworld as you say. And Fangs & Foes, but they're not on the cards because of the amount of work vs. projected return and there are online generators now (or will be soon, right, guy? Guys?). I can't think of any others.

9 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Here's what is in the Appendices:

<SNIP>

Thank you!  Next questions:  might we hope to see this in our FLGS... or only if we order it through them... or "should" we order it direct from Chaosium?  Are you taking orders yet?  Do you have any date(s) in mind for milestones/deadlines, and/or final availability?  In other words...

WHEN CAN I GET MY HANDS ON THE PRODUCT?!!?!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I see this edition of RQ2 more of a collectible piece for long term Chaosium supporters rather than an option to play instead of RQ6, but I guess many of us may still prefer these rules.

Despite me probably not going to use it at a gaming table, there is something quite exciting about this iconic release, it's almost a symbolic way of showing support to a much loved system.

In some ways I would like to see the same thing done wth the Call of Cthulhu 3rd edition. That edition still holds the original sense of wonder that I have found hard capturing with more recent editions.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

10 hours ago, smiorgan said:

RQ2 characteristic x5 rolls (not as generalized as in later BRP though) --- OQ resistances as skills

I'm gonna stick to RQ6 and OQ, but I'm gonna steal that! Never thought this rule is so old - I thought it is the latest innovation in CoC7 :)

1 hour ago, Vile said:

I did use RQ2 for every genre under the sun, but there were not that many products using those actual rules IIRC. Thieves' World, ElfQuest, and Ringworld are out because of licensing. There was the Gateway Bestiary, one of my favourites, and Questworld as you say. And Fangs & Foes, but they're not on the cards because of the amount of work vs. projected return and there are online generators now (or will be soon, right, guy? Guys?). I can't think of any others.

Ringworld and ElfQuest were different games, rather than RQ2 supplements. The original Thieves World boxed set and the FASA scenarios were RQ2, the companion was RQ3 IIRC.

QuestWorld is one of the back catalogue items that I suspect is complicated by rights issues, as it may not currently be clear who exactly owns the copyright to the published text; as with Worlds of Wonder and some others, its then a question of whether the effort required to clarify that situation is worth the potential returns, especially at a time when when money and other resources are severely strained.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see the chunk of GW's QuestWorld Dave Morris wrote, as that got re-purposed for Dragon warriors and although he found it a few years back, if it ever appears I assume it would be for DW.

Nick

2 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see the chunk of GW's QuestWorld Dave Morris wrote, as that got re-purposed for Dragon warriors and although he found it a few years back, if it ever appears I assume it would be for DW.

Dragon Warriors with (light) d100 system would be massively awesome. Chaosium should do it ASAP. There are plenty of DW adventures that all are very good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smjn said:

Wow!

Very nearly what I was thinking of, although that includes some foreign editions I know zero about. 

My thought was to make it by year, with columns for 'families'.  This has all the information I would need to make that, though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UnlikelyLass said:

Wow!

Very nearly what I was thinking of, although that includes some foreign editions I know zero about. 

My thought was to make it by year, with columns for 'families'.  This has all the information I would need to make that, though!

Looking forward to this!

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

4 hours ago, UnlikelyLass said:

This (and several other similar conversations on other forums) is making me want to generate a giant graphviz diagram of all the various BRP-derived systems. A kind of family tree. 

André Jarosch prepared one such diagram for this year's booth of Chaos Society.

Telling how it is excessive verbis