Out now: The Red Book of Magic, the ultimate guide to magic in RuneQuest

MOB

Perhaps @Jeff or @Jason D can help me with these questions:

1. Are all the Rune spells in The Red Book of Magic going to be included again with their descriptions in the upcoming Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha? Or only their names to save space?

2. Are there any Rune spells described in The Red Book of Magic belonging to cults that won't be described in the  upcoming Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha? (But perhaps in much later publications?)

🤔

Edited by Runeblogger

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

1. Are all the Rune spells in The Red Book of Magic going to be included again with their descriptions in the upcoming Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha? Or only their names to save space?

🤔

Spells and descriptions will be in the GaGoG, Jason said on Facebook.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

My expectation is that all the new spells not in the RQG core book will be described in the GoG book.  

• Like 1

329034380_TheRedBookofMagic-ImagewithTitle.png.cc1c5199bb0fd578e8cc0ac26725fa6d.png

We speak with RuneQuest creative director Jason Durall about The Red Book of Magic, our recently-released "ultimate guide" to spirit and Rune magic. Jason explains how this book is designed for both RuneQuest players and GMs.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogthe-red-book-of-magic-an-essential-runequest-expansion-for-players-and-gamemasters-alike

• Like 4

On 12/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, MOB said:

329034380_TheRedBookofMagic-ImagewithTitle.png.cc1c5199bb0fd578e8cc0ac26725fa6d.png

We speak with RuneQuest creative director Jason Durall about The Red Book of Magic, our recently-released "ultimate guide" to spirit and Rune magic. Jason explains how this book is designed for both RuneQuest players and GMs.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogthe-red-book-of-magic-an-essential-runequest-expansion-for-players-and-gamemasters-alike

Where’s that picture based? Is this the Holy country somewhere? 

Trying to clarify something in regard to Matrix Creation Rune spell. The spell is cast by POW x5, then

Once used, the user must take the item back to the proper temple to be recharged with a successful Worship ceremony.

So, if a Storm Bull initiate finds and uses a Speak with Birds matrix ... there is really no way for him to get it refilled, unless he can find someone with right Worship skill to take to a right shrine to do so.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:26 AM, DreadDomain said:

Perhaps but it still not what is written in the books.

A biro from any newsagent can fix that.

Seriously. If your group wants to run it that way, you run it that way. It's not like we need harmonised rules for some kind of competition. RuneQuest is not a CCG.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:31 AM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Where’s that picture based? Is this the Holy country somewhere? 

I'm guessing Esrolia too, the reclining woman has a great expression, as does the guy behind her, I would love if there was a description alongside these full page illustrations 

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

A biro from any newsagent can fix that.

Seriously. If your group wants to run it that way, you run it that way. It's not like we need harmonised rules for some kind of competition. RuneQuest is not a CCG.

You may be missing my point.

1) A while ago, one-use spells were described in the Core book. It raised many questions.

2) Afterwards, clarifications were attempted here and compiled on the Well.

3) Way after, the RBoM is published and describes how one-use spells are supposed to work. It is a new write-up that does not align with clarifications on the web. It is now the latest official stance on the topic.

My point is that RBoM gives no indication at all that RP should be dedicated to one-use spells. Either they have thought it through and dropped the idea or the RBoM should be updated.

Sure, I can like or dislike the ruling and play it however I like at my table but that's irrelevant to my point above. 

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 5

On 12/30/2020 at 11:14 PM, DreadDomain said:

Sure, I can like or dislike the ruling and play it however I like at my table but that's irrelevant to my point above.

Yes I agree. It makes the ride smoother when you’re digesting all the rules to know what exactly it’s supposed to be modelling.

My two clacks worth, I’d put a little paragraph in to explain what’s happening thematically, emphasising 

• the unique dedicated runepoint and why it is so,  frex what makes it so special to the god to only be awarded as one-use

• that only this rune point can be used to power the one use spell.

• the dedicated Rune point can’t be used to power other spells, unlike other rune points. 

• that it’s the special rune point you need to re-sacrifice for, and not the spell itself, who’s casting rituals are not forgotten. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:14 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Yes I agree. It makes the ride smoother when you’re digesting all the rules to know what exactly it’s supposed to be modelling.

My two clacks worth, I’d put a little paragraph in to explain what’s happening thematically, emphasising 

• the unique dedicated runepoint and why it is so,  frex what makes it so special to the god to only be awarded as one-use

• that only this rune point can be used to power the one use spell.

• the dedicated Rune point can’t be used to power other spells, unlike other rune points. 

• that it’s the special rune point you need to re-sacrifice for, and not the spell itself, who’s casting rituals are not forgotten. 

While I like this proposal, in practice most one-use spells take 3 rune power (Resurrect, Sever Spirit outside their primary cult, Seal Soul).

Obviously, the caster must have three rune points in total to make this spell work, but when sacrificing for one of these spell, does the caster have to sacrifice 3 rune points at once? That is going to be hard on the POW requirement for god-talkers and priests, and hard on their CHA-limit, too.

If the spell just takes one special rune point, two rune points from the normal rune power pool are going to be lost. Are these gone for good, or can those be regained like points lost to priestly Divine Intervention?

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

...one-use spells...

Obviously, the caster must have three rune points in total to make this spell work, but when sacrificing for one of these spell, does the caster have to sacrifice 3 rune points at once? 

The Well says that you can dedicate the RP to a one-year spell that you know when you get them back at a worship. Personally I'd also say even if you are full of RP at the start, you could dedicate the RP at that point. Well actually I wouldn't use this dedicated RP rule at all, you just spend the RP.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, PhilHibbs said:

The Well says that you can dedicate the RP to a one-year spell that you know when you get them back at a worship. Personally I'd also say even if you are full of RP at the start, you could dedicate the RP at that point. Well actually I wouldn't use this dedicated RP rule at all, you just spend the RP.

The write-up in the RBoM has been updated and the idea of dedicated RP seems to have been dropped (thanks the gods!). First, it does not mention it at all. Dedicating RP would have been a very important concept to explain if it was a thing. It is not something someone can infer from the rules as written.

Second the result for fumbles reads like this (emphasis mine):

"If the roll is a fumble, the spell is not cast, but the Rune points are spent permanently and cannot be replenished. The spell can be re-attempted again if sufficient Rune points remain."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

second the result for fumbles reads like this (emphasis mine):

"If the roll is a fumble, the spell is not cast, but the Rune points are spent permanently and cannot be replenished. The spell can be re-attempted again if sufficient Rune points remain."

Really? Does anywhen think that this change actually makes the game more fun to play or fixes something that was causing rules problems. Just another pointless rule that most groups will completely ignore.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:40 AM, Darius West said:

Waiting for the hardback copy.

I don't know if you're aware of Chaosium's policy:  if you buy the PDF from them now, then when the hardcopy drops they send you an e-coupon discount for the price of the PDF.

It's effectively "PDF free with purchase of book" (which is their direct-buy and bits&mortar policy (but not Amazon or DTRPG or other online mass retail)) but gives you early access to the PDF.

Edited by g33k
anal-retentive programmer geek parens
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, Russ Massey said:
15 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

second the result for fumbles reads like this (emphasis mine):

Really? Does anywhen think that this change actually makes the game more fun to play or fixes something that was causing rules problems. Just another pointless rule that most groups will completely ignore.

It follows the normal "fumbles are meant to be bad" rule.

Would I use it in a game? Probably only when casting spells on someone else and, even then, only when it's funny.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, Russ Massey said:

I agree, I think I'd say the RP are spent on a fumble but not permanently.

• Like 1