RuneQuest Starter set corrections thread

MOB

With the (advanced) release of The RuneQuest Starter Setthis thread is to catch any typos or errors spotted. Please note them here, quoting the relevant booklet and page number, the error, and the suggested correction. We will correct the PDF file and the print file for reprints.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this is not a thread for questions or discussion of the rules, we are specifically looking for errors and typos only. Please take discussion to another thread.

NOTE FROM JASON: I'm working on the updated .pdfs and an errata page, and will have that available shortly. I'm crossing out all the edits that have been found and implemented. 

Edited by Jason D

• MOB pinned and featured this topic

Please note that we are aware of the following in the Adventurer folios:

Vasana, left & right arm & leg AP doesn’t match. Stat block is 6, image is 5. Stat block is correct.

Molon is missing a point per hit location.

D20 Result AP/HP
1-2 Right hind-leg 3/8
3-4 Left hind-leg 3/8
5-7 Hindquarters 3/10
8-10 Forequarters 3/10
11-13 Right fore-leg 3/8
14-16 Left fore-leg 3/8
17-20 Head 3/9

Nathem, head AP doesn’t match. Stat block is 1, image is 5. Stat block is correct.

Aranda, head AP doesn’t match. Stat block is 5, image is 6. Stat block is correct.

Edited by Jason D

Vasana's folio:

• Her bison should have attacks at SR 3+4 = 7 instead of 8, and the Pts. should be removed.

Yanioth's folio:

• She has 13 HP, so the locations should have 4, 5, 6 HP (also in the picture).
  • Medium Shield SR 6 (3+3) instead of 7.
  • Search 30%: The % sign is missing.
  • Read/Write Theyalan should be 15% (10%+5% Knowledge skills category modifier).
  • Also Yanioth's STR is too low for 1-handed Battle Axe and Composite Bow (13 needed).

Harmast's folio:

• The last bullet point in "How to play Harmast" has text from I think Yanioth and should be edited.
  • Before that, I think an "a" is missing: "You are a skilled...".

Vishi Dunn's folio:

• Ride (Horse) should be Ride (High Llama).
  • I think, Track should be 20% (5% + 15% modifier) and Speak Tradetalk 25% (10% + 15% modifier).
  • Cousin Monkey has the hit location numbers of a human instead of a baboon (but this could be intentional).
  • High Llama should have 23 HP (15 + 8 from size) and attack at SR 7 (3 + 4) instead of 8.

Sorala's folio:

• Loyalty (family) should be Love (family) - unless she has a very strict family.

Nathem's folio:

• Love (clan) should be Loyalty (clan)
  • The skill category modifiers are not correct, they should be Agility+10%, Communication+0%, Knowledge+0%, Magic+5%, Manipulation+10%, Stealth+5%.
  • Worship (Odayla) should be 30% (5% + 20% as initiate +5% modifier)
  • The shadowcat has wrong characteristics, in the rulebook they were STR 8, CON 15, SIZ 6, DEX 26, POW 9.
  • Its attacks should be at SR 7 (3+4) instead of 8.

Vostor's folio:

• Worship (Seven Mothers) is missing, but perhaps it is intended (should be at 30% = 5% + 20% + 5%).
  • Search should be 30% (25% + 5%) and Track 10% (5% + 5%), but it could be removed to free some space for Worship.

Aranda's folio:

• Bronze plate hauberk should be Segmented bronze plate.
  • Medium Shield has a SR of 6 (3+3) and 12 hit points.
  • Read/Write Esrolian should be Theyalan.
  • The local modifiers for Notchet were not added (Bargain +10%, Speak Tradetalk+10%) but it's okay to omit them.
  • I think Speak Esrolian should be 65% (50%+10%+5%) and Speak Earthtongue 15% (10%+5%).

Dazarim's folio:

• The Rune spell Sureshot is not a Yelmalio spell, but perhaps the Praxians can get it from Foundchild or Yelm.

Mago the Fierce's folio (see this thread: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/13988-runequest-starter-set-design-diary-3-the-new-adventurers/):

• Battle Axe SR 7
  • Broadsword SR 6
  • Spirit Combat damage 1D6 (instead of 1D6+3)
  • And I think Speak Tradetalk should be just 15% (10%+modifier).

Makarios' folio:

• Some skill category modifiers are not correct: Knowledge/Perception +5%, Magic +0%, Manipulation +10%, Stealth +5%.
  • The Devise skill is missing (at 5%+10%+10% = 25%) but I think there was not enough space.

Narres Runepainter's folio:

• "Narres’ grandfather was a soldier of in Notchet"
  • Rapier does 1D6+1 damage instead of 1D6+2
  • Some skill category modifiers are not correct: Knowledge/Perception + 5%, Manipulation +10%, Stealth +5%.
  • The sum of the Rune values (including +10% Earth (Esrolia) and +10% Death (Necropolis)) is a little too high compared to the other characters.

Varakos Wolf-killer's folio:

• Broadsword does 1D8+2 damage instead of 1D8+1 (but this could be intended since the sword is special)
  • Loyalty (Colymar) should be 70% instead of 60% since they get +10% to their Loyalty (Tribe).
Edited by Jason D
Added Errors
  • Like 1

Seen in the "The Glass Canon" Session 2: 

Map "TO MERNYR´S LANDING" shown:
The location "Clay Man" on the map is west-south-west of Jonstown on the other side of the Boranini river. 

On the BIG map "Clay Man" is north of Jonstown on the same side of the river.

I assume the BIG map is correct?

Edited by Jason D

• 3 weeks later...

Playing the Solo Adventure:

Spoiler

Entry 153 (pp.45 and 46) has two exit conditions on top of p.46, going to 170 and 172 respectively when the opponent suffers a decisive wound from this interaction.

Arriving at 170 and 172, the text says "You swing, X parries/blocks." Um, no, he didn't, and that's why I have landed here... I just landed a special lance charge against a failed parry, and only a lucky roll on the hit location table makes the difference between dead or knocked out. (And good luck to a player who has never played a game of RuneQuest or even some other BRP to make that distinction...)

I landed at 172, and my immediate reaction was "this can't be right." No bison, a broadsword in Vasana's hands rather than the lance. 

Well, these were the points where the correct next leads would be found, but the flow of the story makes assumptions the escape condition never arrived at.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 weeks later...

Book 4: Adventures

Page 10 

Spirit Magic: Bludgeon 1, Demoralize (1), Detect Enemies (1), Extinguish 1,  {Extinguish is a variable spell)

Page 39

Andralor: Rune Points 0 out of 2   [Only has two Rune Spells listed below; as an 18-year-old it's more plausible that the mismatch is due to an error here]

Page 42

Ivarni: Rune Points 0 out of 1, however listed below: Rune Spells: All common Rune spells, plus Madness (2). 

Suggest

Ivarni: Rune Spells: All common Rune spells, plus Reflection (1)

Page 60 [leftover Copy and Paste error from early RQ2, before it was known that non-Zorak Zoran trolls and trollkin don't cook with fire

A big basin sits half in the cold firepit, simmering, filled with nonmagical mushrooms from the Mushroom Chamber (page 53), and overall, it smells surprisingly good in here to human noses.

Page 71

Cha’resk:  Beast 75%, Darkness 75%, Disorder 60%, Harmony 95%, Water 100%  [Disorder + Harmony should equal 100%]

Page 73 [typo] 

newtlings before facing Cha’resk, they are rewarded with the sight of a dark troll, a cave troll, trollkin,     [Slud is a cave troll]

Page 74 [typo]

Initiate of Kyger Litor. Male, age 48 

White-Eye the Troll  Cults: Kyger Litor 

Page 74 [typo]

His cave troll mate Slud and their children trollkin    [Slud is a cave troll]

Page 74 [clarity] 

Lunar soldiers who had raided an Orlanth temple in Pavis and

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Page 4: "These, in turn, influence and determine other aspects of the adventurer."

Page 5: "As always, though, A result of 01-05 always succeeds and 96-00 always fails, unless the attempt is simply out of the question."
01-05 being a guaranteed success and 96-00 being a guaranteed failure isn't mentioned anywhere before this.

Edited by Jason D

P.26: “Medium range is 1.5 as far as the effective range.”

This would be clearer and fit better with the following text if it read, “half again as far,” or “one-and-a-half times as far.”

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Book 4, page 73: 'Mutating rapidly, the newtling’s body grow grossly larger, its claws and teeth becoming those of a predator, and its hide roughened and toughened.'

I believe the tense is inconsistent: grow and becoming are active, roughened and toughened are past tense or past participle. Past tense for grow would be grew. Past participle for grow would be grown. Past tense for becoming is became. In present tense, the verbs should end in 's' as the noun is singular.

Hence, if the mutation is now complete: "Mutating rapidly, the newtling's body grew grossly larger, its claws and teeth became those of a predator, and its hide roughened and toughened.'

If the mutation is not complete: "Mutating rapidly, the newtling's body grows grossly larger, its claws and teeth becomes those of a predator, and its hide roughens and toughens.'

Not an easy sentence to spot the grammar.

Edited by Jason D

Aranda's folio: 
- She has 2 riding horses, but neither is described in game terms, same as Harmast's zebras.
- In the "How to play Aranda" section:
      +"You are skilled fighter" should be "You are a skilled fighter". 
      +"pleasure and plain" should be "pleasure and pain"

- She has 7 points worth of Spirit Magic, is that intended? Usually PCs start with 5 (although Nathem has 6).

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Ionara's folio:
- "Now she wander these" should be "Now she wanders these"
Mago's folio:
- His name is "Son of Barossus" but in the text it says twice "Barosus", so I think it should be written with just one "s".
- "his grandather Harion" should be "his grandfather Harion".
- "Mago joined in the infamous" should be "Mago joined the infamous".
- "He participated in liberation of Sartar" should be "He participated in the liberation of Sartar".
Makario's folio:
- In his background text, "Lankhor Mhy" should be "Lhankor Mhy".
- "a High Healer. but froze to death" should be "a High Healer, but froze to death" (comma instead of full-stop)
- Makario claims his snake "sought those who could rescue me" but later on the text just says it "protected him and tended to him until he could be found", which is a different thing.
- In the "How to play Makario" section, "an intelligent creatures" should be "an intelligent creature".
Narres' folio:
- His/Her magic points are 27, OK, but in other characters who own magic crystals (for example, Vasana) the summation is specified, so in this case it should also be specified as "27 (15+12)".
Varakos' folio:
- In the background text, "for two year, then died" should be "for two years, then died".

Edited by Jason D

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

The combat results chart is different to the RQG rules. I assume that this is deliberate, in order to present a slightly simplified set of mechanics, so I won't list them here in the corrections thread.

Can we get an official conversion notes describing the differences, so that we don't stumble over them when using both the starter set and the RQG reference sheets?

Edited by Jason D

Ionara's folio: 'Your high Truth Rune means you despise lies and deception. You are a straight shooter and would rather say nothing than say something deceptive.'

The statement makes great sense for Dazarim (who also has the statement as one bullet), and not for Ionara (who has the second sentence in the last bullet and the first sentence in the end of the previous bullet). Ionara is equal in Truth and Illusion with both at 50. I suspect this statement was copied from how to play Dazarim.

Edited by Jason D

Rules book. P61 Two weapon use.

The text talks about  “multiple attacks in a round” being possible when skill is above 100%. I’m guessing this is the splitting attack rules for skills above 100% which is talked about in the core book?

The issue here is that the section in the text refers you to p60 for an explanation, but that section does not explain multiple attacks for skills over 100%. It only talks about reducing opponents skill for each % point above 100%. 

“An adventurer with a skill above 100% may perform multiple attacks in a round, if there are adequate strike ranks to perform such actions (see Skills Over 100%, page 60).”

Edited by Jason D

On 11/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, PhilHibbs said:

The combat results chart is different to the RQG rules. I assume that this is deliberate, in order to present a slightly simplified set of mechanics, so I won't list them here in the corrections thread.

Can we get an official conversion notes describing the differences, so that we don't stumble over them when using both the starter set and the RQG reference sheets?

Well spotted.

Yes, it appears that the results for critical attack vs special parry, and critical attack vs Normal parry have been altered from the core book version to be “inflicts special damage” instead of the prior “inflicts maximum special damage” .

What’s the reason for this change? Isn’t it better to have consistency here? Is this because the original tables in the core and GM screen are deemed incorrect? It doesn’t seem to be an attempt at streamlining for the starter set.

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Book 1 Rules

p.61 Two-Weapon Use.

The section starts with the old statement: "Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry" which somewhat clashes with the multiple parry rule.

The revised sentence from the Well of Daliath had already resolved the issue "With two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry."

The end of the section states "An adventurer with a skill above 100% may perform multiple attacks in a round, if there are adequate strike ranks to perform such actions (see "Skills Over 100%, page 60)". The referred section do not explain how multiple attacks are performed. Perhaps you wanted to refer to "Multiple Actions, page 59" where the second bullet point mentions to multiple attacks in a round, skill over 100% and two weapon use.

p.59 Multiple Actions

This might be intended as a simplification but note that reading the Multiple Actions section, second and third bullets lead to believe that with a skill over 100% and enough SR to perform two attacks, the first attack would be unmodified and the second attack would suffer a -20% modifier (instead of both attacks at half skills as per RQG).   

Edited by Jason D
  • Thanks 1

Book 4, page 28: Last paragraph in Phase One:

Regarding townsfolk, "Roll 1D6 for their efforts, but they are unable to the fire out this phase", is missing 'put' or similar word between 'to' and 'the'.

The bullets seem disproportionate. Phase One is 'several minutes long' (p 25). A round is 12 seconds, so 5/minute and several minutes implies at least 3 meaning Phase One is roughly at least 15 rounds long.

The first bullet about Task Talk or Intimidate means that one bystander helps out, but it takes the entire Phase One (15 rounds) to get that bystander to reduce the fire by 1 hit point. Can a physically involved adventurer also Intimidate bystanders to help? 

Summoned elementals, the Rain spell, and Extinguish (if not playing with the pregens) really help in exchange for magic points or rune points.

However the fourth bullet seems to be inconsistent. Each round an adventurer gets physically involved will reduce the fire by 1 hit point. This seems to contradict the paragraph following all bullets: 'Any adventurer directly taking part in the firefighting should make a roll of their POWx5. Success reduces the fire by 1 hit point.' Not one 'each round'. And if the fourth bullet were accurate, two adventurers taking part for the approximately 15 rounds would easily extinguish the fire by the end of Phase One. Even if they failed a few POWx5 rolls of the 15. And thus Phase Two would be very different than the narrative.

So I suspect bullet four is supposed to be one Fire hit point in the entire phase if the POW roll is successful per adventurer physically involved. But that is not what is says.

Not an actual error, but I would also suggest the Communication skills bullet be '1 hit point for each level of success but takes one full phase.' Meaning that if an adventurer rolled a special Fast Talk success two bystanders would help in Phase One. Especially if the Fast Talker cannot also physically be involved. These adventurers can't be so good or lucky at Fast Talk and Intimidate that they all roll a critical success and get 3 bystanders.

Edited by Jason D