HEADS UP!!!! Here it is!!

svensson

26 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Grognards gotta grumble. It is the literal meaning of the word.

I think everyone is excited to see these and know when they're going to be available (I sure am!). I think the grumbling is not about the books themselves or even the news, but about the way the build-up teased that these might be available now, rather than in 4-5 months. This approach took something we're all excited about and turned into a reason to be frustrated, whereas a less suspense-building approach would have just elicited enthusiasm. Saying it's here and then revealing that 'it' isn't the book but rather just the publication schedule is sort of like telling me I'm getting a really great birthday present and then when my birthday arrives I get an IOU for something cool. 

Edited by Bohemond
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

33 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Grognards gotta grumble. It is the literal meaning of the word.

And grognards really grumble when a big announcement is made for a much broader audience. Sure we all knew what was going on, but we have had nearly 100k people view the twitter announcement, and some 30k people have watched the video between FB, Twitter, and YT. That is a tremendous boost to RQ.  

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

I'm just not sure why this could not have been a CoP style book(s)

I think it largely is that style with this format of individual books by pantheon. What it allows us to do, though, is to use the content wherever for instance the Lightbringer's Pantheon or the Earth Pantheon comes into play (e.g. I can run campaigns in Brolia or Charg or parts of Ralios with the former, or Esrolia or Pamaltela with the latter).

Now, I'm not going to be a grognard about this, honest. I will certainly be getting all the books, and the fact that the cost is going to be spread over a good few months will make the expense slip by with less wallet pain. One of my players has just msged me, having noticed the announcement (rather backing up Jeff's comment about the interest it's generated) and had a couple of things to say. (See' I'm not being the grognard, it's my player.) 

• They wondered if being ten books to get all the cult info would be off-putting to newbies, if they feel they need to get all of them to have everything they need. Yes, we know there are good arguments that that is not the case, but newbies won't know those.
  • They said they wouldn't be sure about buying a whole book just to get the info for their PC's cult.
  • They also opined (they GM as well) that players don't buy stuff anyway. That said, 3 of my players have bought the core rules, another seriously considering it.

So, here's a couple of thoughts.

• How about PDF only releases of each cult? Then a player only has a small expense to get the info they want. Might bring in more sales from those who wouldn't otherwise buy. i.e., players.
  • Maybe a volume that includes the core cults that we all know and love, and that all the lovely pre-gens have, and some of those that will likely be encountered. Something that could be marketed to a newbie as 'all the cults you need to get started'. OK, might dent sales of more complete pantheon books, but won't be off-putting.

Anyway, I intend that as a constructive feedback and very much look forward to getting the first three volumes this later this year.

Edit:  My player has just learnt what a prosopaedia is. Marketing truly can work miracles. Interestingly, that appeals to them.

Edited by Cloud64
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:56 PM, Mike M said:

It's coming... but will be a while yet.

12 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Sigh... So a teaser about an announcement. An announcement which isn't something new, but simply to reveal that what had been two volumes, and then three, has now morphed into 10, and there isn't even an actual release now? I'll end up purchasing them, no doubt, but it is somewhat disappointing.

SDLeary

Maybe one day this new edition of Runequest/Glorantha will be as complete and  shine as brightly as the Sistine Chapel. But I’ve given up waiting.

And for those pouring scorn on the criticism: Grognards have kept this game alive.

No Jeff you are wrong, Grognards don’t grumble for the sake of it, Grognards remember and, to put it bluntly, simply don’t have a whole life ahead of them to be perpetually sold dreams of the promised land.

Edited by Pnick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cloud64 said:

So, here's a couple of thoughts.

• How about PDF only releases of each cult? Then a player only has a small expense to get the info they want. Might bring in more sales from those who wouldn't otherwise buy. i.e., players...

I think this could be an extraordinarily-good idea!  A small 8ish-page PDF, maybe?  Could even be optionally done as cardstock-cover POD releases.
Struggling-student me would have loved to get "just the one bit I wanted" instead of skipping entire volumes.

1 hour ago, Cloud64 said:

• Maybe a volume that includes the core cults that we all know and love, and that all the lovely pre-gens have, and some of those that will likely be encountered. Something that could be marketed to a newbie as 'all the cults you need to get started'. OK, might dent sales of more complete pantheon books, but won't be off-putting ...

I think the cults in the core RQ rulebook are intended to serve this function; such a volume for the CoRQ series would overlap too much, I think, and create a lot of griping on that basis.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yelmalio was not a Lightbringer, and from earlier previews Yelmalio was part of the Sky pantheon section. I'd expect him there.

I'm with OP - is Yelmalio or Elmal, or whatever that variant is called this year, considered a friendly cult of Orlanth?  If so, he might belong in the "Lightbringer" book.
I guess we will find out in a while.

I love it. March is only hours away now so July is practically in sight, especially given the length of gestation on these and how fast life came at us in the meantime. The big deal around this announcement for this eager fan isn't so much "congratulations, wait another 4-20 months for gratification" as it is "the art is in place and the layouts are locked on the first four books, they're off the development team's plate." They're as perfect as they get. The anxiety of digesting Greg's ancient vision is over. It's the printer's problem now, which means the development team can (a) circle back to what got stuck in the pipeline waiting for these (b) spend the next few months teasing us with what's in here. It could be an interesting 4-5 months. 

The artists can also jump to other things now that this part is over with. Granted I'm reminded of how Gandhari in the Mahabharata needed two years to birth her big egg or how it took Lao Tzu decades to finally pop out of the oven already fully wizened and wise. But that's just how these miracle babies play through. The suspense was murder on the mothers and the midwives. Happy to let them whoop a little. I suspect the entire project will come in at well over 1200 pages when it's all printed up and then the content can circulate in something like perpetuity. Form factor options might expand over time. Let them! 

Edited by scott-martin
inelegant intro
  • Like 3

singer sing me a given

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yelmalio was not a Lightbringer, and from earlier previews Yelmalio was part of the Sky pantheon section. I'd expect him there.

Nor was Lambril and he is in the Lightbringers Book.

15 hours ago, svensson said:

Hey, at least we have an actual announcement and street date. That's DEFINITELY farther along the road than we, the book buying public, were yesterday.

Exactly. Now we can expect to have something by summer, which is great news.

I can't wait for the fevered speculation as to which deities will be in which book, complaining that people's favourite deities won't be in earlier books, or might be missing, wondering why all 10 books can't be released tomorrow, and whingeing that Yelmalio doesn't have any combat magic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Pnick said:

Maybe one day this new edition of Runequest/Glorantha will be as complete and  shine as brightly as the Sistine Chapel. But I’ve given up waiting.

And for those pouring scorn on the criticism: Grognards have kept this game alive.

No Jeff you are wrong, Grognards don’t grumble for the sake of it, Grognards remember and, to put it bluntly, simply don’t have a whole life ahead of them to be perpetually sold dreams of the promised land.

I am literally giving you meaning of "grognard" ("grumblers"). Bonaparte put up with their grumbling, even made it a special privilege, because of their veteran status. That's not pouring scorn on the criticism - that's literally the meaning of the term and why "grognards" call themselves that.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I'm with OP - is Yelmalio or Elmal, or whatever that variant is called this year, considered a friendly cult of Orlanth?  If so, he might belong in the "Lightbringer" book.
I guess we will find out in a while.

Yelmalio is a neutral cult to the Lightbringers and is in the Solar deity book, along with Polaris, Urania, Shargash, etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

And grognards really grumble when a big announcement is made for a much broader audience. Sure we all knew what was going on, but we have had nearly 100k people view the twitter announcement, and some 30k people have watched the video between FB, Twitter, and YT. That is a tremendous boost to RQ.  

I was one those people following the teasers and watching the video. I was still hoping till the end that it won't be RuneQuest related 😛 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all the RuneQuest fans that they get these many books. I was simply expecting this not be a "simple" RuneQuest releases, not even a CoC release, because what would be that big about them? We know that RQ and CoC releases will be coming. I was either expecting a new CoC edition (or at least new printing of the core books with the current layout), but mostly something else, like a new, much bigger BRP core book, maybe a new setting, or a collaboration (even if not with Paizo). Those would have been big for my understanding. I think communicating it beforehand that this will be a big RuneQuest announcement would have made it easier for a lot of us 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I am literally giving you meaning of "grognard" ("grumblers"). Bonaparte put up with their grumbling, even made it a special privilege, because of their veteran status. That's not pouring scorn on the criticism - that's literally the meaning of the term and why "grognards" call themselves that.

Otherwise known as 'Team Geezer' 😁

• Like 1

And had it been any of those, there would be those 

3 minutes ago, Ochoa said:

I have started saving.
One question though, what exactly is in the Mythology book?

Specific details are going to have to wait until Marketing reveals it, but needless to say it is our (Greg and me) overview of Glorantha mythology, how to piece it all together, how to bring it down to the game level, what the cult breakdowns are, and so much more. It is my personal favorite volume.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm delighted. Runequest and Glorantha has been part of my life for decades. My impatience burned out a long time ago. I'm happy to see a stream of content start to flow.

I celebrate this news.

EDIT: Just sayin', there are folks that are glad to see this day come.

Edited by Wheel Shield
I literally rewrote my post because the next day I couldn't figure out what the hell I was saying.
  • Like 4