HEADS UP!!!! Here it is!!

svensson

Sigh... So a teaser about an announcement. An announcement which isn't something new, but simply to reveal that what had been two volumes, and then three, has now morphed into 10, and there isn't even an actual release now? I'll end up purchasing them, no doubt, but it is somewhat disappointing.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 2

Jesus... What's with the griping, folks?

The log jam is clearing, we're getting official content this year.

Proserpaedia in July

Storm and Earth Pantheons at GenCon [AUG]

Mythology by Q4, so Christmas or so.

The Lunars in Q1 and as many as 5 more books in 2024.

We said we LIKED Chaosium because it wasn't Wizards of Hasbro or Paizo, with a new hardback released every other month. We said we appreciated the quality and consistency of the info and the artwork. We said we like the amount of actual usable content for the price point, instead of filling the book with art and less than half of it game related text. AND WE'RE GETTING WHAT WE WANTED. So exactly WT actual F are some of you complaining about?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jason Farrell said:

I can't imagine what you possibly mean by "the log jam is clearing" when these 10 books are currently scheduled to come out from 2023-2025.

Not 3 months ago, people were complaining about no new RQG content while Gods of Glorantha was being worked on. That's what I mean. I think we can consider 'the logjam' to be cleared in August if the GenCon volumes are released on time.

Meanwhile Jonstown Compendium will continue to offer us excellent content.

So I honestly don't see why some folks are griping.

32 minutes ago, svensson said:

Not 3 months ago, people were complaining about no new RQG content while Gods of Glorantha was being worked on. That's what I mean. I think we can consider 'the logjam' to be cleared in August if the GenCon volumes are released on time.

This tells us that the Chaosium layout and printing schedule for RuneQuest is booked until deep into 2024 (and Beyond - which I hear as spoken by Ludo @Lordabdul at the end of our podcast episodes), which would need to deliver six books to finish this batch. Which means that there is still a huge logjam of written supplements without even getting into the production queue next year.

On the plus side, this gives Jeff ample time to finalize the Sartar campaign part 1, and it keeps the "must buy" expenses manageable, leaving some budget for the Jonstown Compendium. (But hey, if you want to finance your JTC desires, go and publish some nice stuff there...)

Still, not getting any pdf releases for another five months isn't pleasing. (Although that time could be shortened e.g. by releasing the extra player characters for the Starter Set.)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, Darius West said:

I wonder if we will get a book dedicated to all the Thunder Brothers eventually?

Aren't several of those going to be included in the Lightbringers? How many - notable/prevalent - Thunder Brothers are there that won't be one of the 19 in the Lightbringers? Obviously, I don't know what all those 19 will be beyond the core crew of the actual Lightbringer Quest, but I'm guessing they're going to squeeze in Storm gods closely associated with Orlanth, so maybe Storm Bull/Urox, and maybe even Vinga and uuhhh.... well, Hedkoranth and Helamakt might be pushing it in terms of notability/utility for players I guess.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Storm gods closely associated with Orlanth, so maybe Storm Bull/Urox, and maybe even Vinga and uuhhh.... well, Hedkoranth and Helamakt might be pushing it in terms of notability/utility for players I guess.

The distinct, individual Thunder Brothers were a Hero Wars era addition. We've already seen Vinga included in the base Orlanth cult (in RQG) so I'd expect her there.

I expect we'll see the 5 Lightbringers + major Storm cults + some figures like Odayla and Yinkin + those that Orlanth brought into the Storm Tribe like Heler and Mastakos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Farrell said:

I can't imagine what you possibly mean by "the log jam is clearing" when these 10 books are currently scheduled to come out from 2023-2025.

Jeff noted on FB that this frees up the whole series of Sartar, Dragon Pass, Pavis, Prax, etc. books to move forward as there were dependencies in those on the Cults books.

6 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I expect we'll see the 5 Lightbringers + major Storm cults + some figures like Odayla and Yinkin + those that Orlanth brought into the Storm Tribe like Heler and Mastakos.

Given that Jeff has said it will have 19 cults and there are 19 cults listed under Lightbringers here, you can probably be fairly confident what will be in that book :-). And likewise for the 16 cults in the Earth Goddesses book, and I imagine similarly beyond that ...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

It strikes me that we have been told  Chaosium deals with more than one printer.  While it appears that the Cults of Glorantha series is all going to one printer, probably for consistency and price, it may be that other Runequest projects can go to other printers while the Cults series is still in initial production.  If so we will all be happy.  Here's to hope.  

And congratulations to Jeff and everyone who worked on the Cults books.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, svensson said:

Grognards gotta grumble. It is the literal meaning of the word.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Off Topic 1

6 hours ago, svensson said:

I'll admit that is somewhat fair. I think the issue is the buildup, to the announcement, of a product that we already knew about, announcing that the product was coming (rather than an actual release of something), and that it was now MANY more volumes strung across a much larger timeline. At least that is the way I reacted to it. 

If it "opens the floodgates", that is certainly progress. I'm just not sure why this could not have been a CoP style book(s), with the greater detail about variability actually integrated into the actual region/culture books. This would have probably been more efficient, and we would more-than-likely have at least Sartar and Pavis by now, two other long known and worked on supplements.

SDLeary