New products för RQG?

Soccercalle

I wonder when we can expect new scenarios and campaign books for RQG? When the new rules where announced to come out we heard talk about a plan for releasing new content every other month. It now feels like we have the most beautiful rule books in history (I really love them) but very little content to play with. If Chaosium have to choose between high quantity with good quality or low quantity with excellent quality I really prefer the former.

• Like 1

There's plenty of content you can play with - all the RQ2 (Classic) material, for example. The RQ Classic reprints give you years' worth of playing material on their own.

At the Dragonmeet seminar last weekend, Jeff and Jason made it clear that there's absolutely tons of new stuff in the pipeline. But they're working on getting all the main rules and background stuff (e.g. GM Sourcebook, Cults of Glorantha and Red Book of Magic) in place before they un-stop the dam and let the flood forth.

The next three products for release contain playable content: The Smoking Ruins (scenarios and sand box), Pegasus Plateau (mini-scenarios/encounters) and the Runequest Starter Set, which will contain a write-up of Jonstown. I'd guess we'll see the first of these as a PDF release in early 2020.

Edited by Sumath

They also said that they want to be where Call of Cthulhu is now, with a release every 2 months, and think they can achieve this by mid-next year.

In the meantime, the Jonstown Compendium should have lots of goodies.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Something that would be a worthwhile endeavor (Jonstown Compendium, maybe?  Or just a fan collaboration here...) would be to extend Family-Background Tables in several ways...

Go 25-30 years back, making Background Tables to create RQG PC's for play in RQ2/RQClassic era of Glorantha.

Create other-culture backgrounds (I know these are coming, but they look to be quite a ways out...).

Create Elder-Race Background tables (with similar detail to the humans (also likely to be coming; but AIUI even further out)).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/2/2019 at 8:56 AM, g33k said:

Go 25-30 years back, making Background Tables to create RQG PC's for play in RQ2/RQClassic era of Glorantha.

Create other-culture backgrounds (I know these are coming, but they look to be quite a ways out...).

Create Elder-Race Background tables (with similar detail to the humans (also likely to be coming; but AIUI even further out)).

For the first one, there's a thead about this here.

For the second, I assume you're talking about new Homelands?

For the third one, yes, Jason confirmed there will be full elder race character creation in an upcoming book.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

18 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

For the first one, there's a thead about this here.

For the second, I assume you're talking about new Homelands?

For the third one, yes, Jason confirmed there will be full elder race character creation in an upcoming book.

I had seen that "1610's" thread as it began, but never saw the summary and posted doc -- thanks for pointing it out (and of course, many thanks to @Puckohue !!! )

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

"1610's" thread as it began, but never saw the summary and posted doc

I'd happily edit it with the template and submit it for the Jonstown Compendium, but I'd have to start with getting permissions from the other authors. I've expanded it a little for Sartarite characters, and used it in my campaign set in 1615.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Puckohue said:

I'd happily edit it with the template and submit it for the Jonstown Compendium, but I'd have to start with getting permissions from the other authors. I've expanded it a little for Sartarite characters, and used it in my campaign set in 1615.

The doc is linked in that thread; do you have more work not in that doc?

I don't want to step on any authors' toes (or rights), but I think it should get the widest possible distribution!

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, Steve said:

There's plenty of content you can play with - all the RQ2 (Classic) material, for example. The RQ Classic reprints give you years' worth of playing material on their own.

At the Dragonmeet seminar last weekend, Jeff and Jason made it clear that there's absolutely tons of new stuff in the pipeline. But they're working on getting all the main rules and background stuff (e.g. GM Sourcebook, Cults of Glorantha and Red Book of Magic) in place before they un-stop the dam and let the flood forth.

That's a daft policy, quite frankly.  Playable scenarios are much more useful, and additional rules material can be incorporated (as they did in the scenarios from the 80s with write-ups of cults and so on in the back).  And because the Classic stuff is so old, a lot of people have played it already a long time ago - suggesting people play a 30 year old scenario while the developers fiddle with rules content (slowly) many may not use is bonkers.  I appreciate that RQ isn't like other games, what with the history and so on, but you still need scenarios. 

Edited by Aubrey the Malformed
Might be misread as criticism of the poster

17 minutes ago, Aubrey the Malformed said:

So is there any word on what might be next, and when?

As far as I'm aware, scenarios are next. Two scenario packs have been discussed around here and elsewhere, "Smoking Ruins" and "Pegasus Plateau & Other Stories." The free adventure, "The Rattling Wind," is excerpted from the latter.

I agree it's frustrating that in terms of official RQG releases this year, we've had one scenario. If you're looking for new content, at this time I'd suggest checking out the Jonstown Compendium (Tales of the Sun County Militia looks to me the strongest of the fan-created scenarios due to its new setting and backdrop in Sun County—but yes, there's a full scenario in it, and one I quite like—and could combine with some of that old Prax material somewhat well).

I can't recall where this was, but I seem to remember some months back a comment by one of the devs hoping for a PDF release by Christmas. Now, if that was gonna happen I imagine we'd hear about it by now... Still, I suspect that we're sitting right on the edge of new scenarios.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

7 hours ago, Aubrey the Malformed said:

That's a daft policy, quite frankly.  Playable scenarios are much more useful, and additional rules material can be incorporated

That's not the policy. As @Crel noted above, the scenario packs "Smoking Ruins" and "Pegasus Plateau & Other Stories" are next due to be out, and I believe to be followed by the RQG Starter Set which is planned to include the city of Jonstown and more scenarios. So, plenty of those coming as well as the variety of scenarios released through Jonstown Compendium.

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

That's not the policy. As @Crel noted above, the scenario packs "Smoking Ruins" and "Pegasus Plateau & Other Stories" are next due to be out, and I believe to be followed by the RQG Starter Set which is planned to include the city of Jonstown and more scenarios. So, plenty of those coming as well as the variety of scenarios released through Jonstown Compendium.

The next two books out are collections of playable scenarios.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, Jeff said:

On 12/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, Jeff said:

And watch this space before Christmas!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Coming by Christmas Eve - The Smoking Ruins and Other Tales - a collection of scenarios and background material set in the South Wilds of Dragon Pass. Available in PDF (with the print edition coming later). Includes:

• The South Wilds 
  • The Wild Temple
  • The Smoking Ruin (a multi-session scenario by Chris Klug of James Bond 007 and Dragonquest fame)
  • The Lost Valley and Urvantan's Tower (the triumphant return of Steve Perrin!)
  • The Grove of Green Rock

Over 190 pages of Gloranthan gold! Available by Christmas Eve!

RQ_TheSmokingRuins_cover.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3