Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

On 6/8/2020 at 7:15 AM, pachristian said:

The Gold Wheel Dancers were the female expressions of Sun, Fire, and the associated runes - feminine Yelm for example. They were ruthlessly suppressed in the first age, and even the myths (such as: "Orlanth proposes to [female] Yelm") were crushed.

The whole of Gloranthan history is Orlanth preventing anyone from doing to him what he did to Yelm before history began.

Both of these are actually great theories tho...in particular I feel the Gold Wheel dancer one has merit in canon considering other deities bi-genderness. I think it would also be a good twist to mess with players who are Yelm lovers. The uber-macho cult actually worships an giant wheel that doesn't really have any gender. Imagine player reactions. Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, redmoongoddess said:

Both of these are actually great theories tho...in particular I feel the Gold Wheel dancer one has merit in canon considering other deities bi-genderness. I think it would also be a good twist to mess with players who are Yelm lovers. The uber-macho cult actually worships an giant wheel that doesn't really have any gender. Imagine player reactions. Amazing.

It's also interesting from the perspective of RW players who more or less come to view Yelm with a lot of disdain (like a lot of us here).

20 minutes ago, redmoongoddess said:

erm, rw?

I was trying to distinguish between characters in the game, many of whom are probably Yelm fans, and players in the real world, who it seems to be more than not have a negative view of Yelm. For both of these, getting a feminine, or bigendered Sun (or even Yelm) would be shaking up their view of things, albeit in different ways.

As we all know, Glorantha is anime. If you replace all instances of "Orlanth" with "Vinga" and "storm god" with "magical girl" you will get a plot of new PreCure season.

Seda-NYA and NYA-salor are catgirls.

Orlanth versus Sedanya at the castle blue:

Edited by Borygon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Borygon said:

As we all know, Glorantha is anime.

And this continues to make sense. The God Learners were Isekai Light Novel protagonists who severely misunderstood the genre.

The Goddess Switch was their attempt to introduce crop rotation (because it's always crop rotation), while Zistor was an attempt to build a computer.

Turns out all the gods they mistook for being "ignorant fantasy folks misunderstanding natural phenomena as gods" were real, and everything kind of backfired.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, The God Learner said:

Edit: I would also add that I would consider the 7M LBQ a perverted LBQ in many respects. 

Certainly!

Given the Chaotic aspects, I think this is explicit.

C'es ne pas un .sig

The elements are not actually elements, but mental states. 

One moves from Predark (total ignorance) to Darkness (undifferentiated yearning) to Sea (division of the universe into types) to Earth (recognition of other existences) to Fire (logical reasoning) to Storm (integration of emotions and reasoning) to Moon (acceptance of ignorance and limits to knowledge).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

3 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

Don't forget the child sacrifice!

However, in the larger scheme of things, I'd like to make a complaint to management: raising chaos-frankensteins does not "restore Cosmic Order". 

Given the EWF efforts... given Nysalor... I think Sedenya was inevitable.

This theme of "man making a god" seems to be THE characteristic bit of hubris in Glorantha...

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 minutes ago, Eff said:

One moves from Predark (total ignorance) to Darkness (undifferentiated yearning) to Sea (division of the universe into types) to Earth (recognition of other existences) to Fire (logical reasoning) to Storm (integration of emotions and reasoning) to Moon (acceptance of ignorance and limits to knowledge).

Oooooo.

I like this!

C'es ne pas un .sig

50 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

However, in the larger scheme of things, I'd like to make a complaint to management: raising chaos-frankensteins does not "restore Cosmic Order". 

To be fair, I did suggest that in a Dumb Theories thread.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 6/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, Mark Mohrfield said:

From the Guide; " Arkat Returns Five times! The ways of Heroquesting are abruptly opened, and it isn’t what everyone expected. One is a troll, one is a Chaos monster, and no one is quite sure which incarnation the other three are." One the remaining three Arkats is a Duck, which certainly no one expected. However, no one believes him. "But honest and truly, I am Arkat!" He attempts to prove that he is Arkat to anyone he meets by imitating some past feat of the ancient hero. These always spectacularly backfire. One day, an attempt will backfire so badly that it will end the Third Age, thus proving his point.

More like ArQUACK, am I ri-

*Killed horribly, mid-sentence*

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

But "man BECOMING a god" seems to be a-okay.

Yep!  There may be something interesting in the dichotomy there...

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

I would say the interesting thing is how appealing it seems to be to people to try to create a god who can be and do all the changes they want to see in the world for them rather than try to become the god (or man!) who can make those changes. But maybe I'm just reaching.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, Eff said:

I have a player who's cult is built on a very similar concept to this.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, metcalph said:

Vashanti is Lhankor Mhy

Nice! I like it!

I think the two might certainly be linked. 

GanEstoro is Argan Argar.

I don't think so, but I can see why the idea makes some sense. 

Ompalam is Pamalt.

There is certainly a link (as per RM p54), but yeah, not simple identity. 

Xemela is Chalana Arroy.

I've thought that Xemela Arroin, being the two main healing powers of Western Genertela, is far too close to Chalana Arroy to be a coincidence. And of course we know the White Goddess has other names (such as Erissa) and the Lightbringers encountered her first in the West. Quite possibly the White Lady was not known as Chalana Arroy to the Orlanthi until they encountered her in the West, and while I don't CA is the same as Xemela, it may be that the White Lady was named/referred to/confused with by the Westerners after two beings they knew of who invoked her powers? 

• Thanks 1

Argrath becoming the King of Dragon Pass is a colossal miscalculation and intimately linked with why his war against the Moon spirals so horribly out of control.  To fulfill his correct role in the Hero Wars, Argrath needed to embrace more fully his position as the White Bull, preparatory to embodying Storm Bull, not Orlanth.  A healthy transition to 4th Age requires that Orlanth and Yelm make peace in Hell, while Storm Bull and the Unity Hero defeat embodied Chaos in the Middle World.  Argrath was supposed to be Storm Bull while Broyan was supposed to be Orlanth, but him dying to that darkness demon in 1624 put paid to that plan.  Argrath tried to synthesize the Orlanth and Storm Bull roles in Broyan's unavoidable absence, but ended up with an Orlanth who never fully gives up lordship to venture with his companions into the Underworld etc.  He stays in the Middle World for the final battle, like Storm Bull did, then tries to turn the Unity Battle into the Great Compromise...and the results are not pretty.

The Unity Hero is one or several PCs in this scheme.

• Like 7