RBOMG!

PhilHibbs

Seen anything amazing in the RBoM yet? I'm not going to tempt fate by copying too much text directly.

Captain Souls

1 point stackable rune spell. Allows the caster to communicate with, give MPs, access to spells, and cast touch spells on a bunch of people.

Devour Foe

1 point ritual rune spell. You eat part of your enemy and gain a bunch of points in a stat based on which body part you ate, for a bunch of days based on additional POWxMP sacrificed. (e.g. 2 POW and 15 MP = 30 days). No POW can be gained, but all the others can at 1D3 per 6 points the victim had. I don't know if, as with other rituals, the other participants can each provide POW so 6 people could contribute a x6 multiplier for 1 each.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tambour

2 point rune spell. Sacrifice any amount of your stats to give the same bonus to an unlimited number of people within earshot for as long as you can keep playing drums, rolling skill every hour. Several drummer-casters can combine the effects on the same people, the increased volume also increasing the range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

Tambour

2 point rune spell. Sacrifice any amount of your stats to give the same bonus to an unlimited number of people within earshot for as long as you can keep playing drums, rolling skill every hour. Several drummer-casters can combine the effects on the same people, the increased volume also increasing the range.

Hombobobom spell, supposedly? He always had some funky magics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Captain Souls is top tier magic. Brings back Mindlink plus its better?

IIRC it's one-way, not two-way.

Thus far, my obvious cheese highlight is Cyclical (characteristic). Add in a minion running around throwing Glowspot at you for added effect. "Only" 14 Rune points to double all of your characteristics.

Of course, the best use is to use Cyclical INT to improve your Free INT for casting Moonfire. I love the smell of moon rock in the morning...

Edited by Crel
I was wrong.
  • Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I'm not sure if this is an oversight or intentional, but most of the bodily transformation magics say "target" rather than "caster", suggesting they can be used to transform people other than the caster. (There are a few that do say "caster", including Transform Self, and I'm assuming that cult limitations hold for all of them even if not explicitly spelled out.) This suggests that Hsunchen don't all have to have 8 Rune Points stocked up to change shape. 

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

I like that it gives some ideas for the scope and flavor of divine magic in RQ:G. It gives som idea of how epic things can tend to be. Especially if some Glorantha circumnavigating mega-munchkin starts mixing weird cults, mystical, and mythical traditions together. My munchkin brain absolutely loves everything I have seen of it so far. 

• Haha 1

My take or guess on the source cult of the more interesting runespells.

AFFIX DARKNESS:  Xentha (from Troll Gods)

AGONY: Ikadz?

AROUSE PASSION: Ernalda?

ARROW OF LIGHT:  Irrippi Ontor, Yanafal Tarnils and Red Goddess.

AURORA:  Dawn Star

AWAKEN LOON: Jadarenasa (from Guide's description of Noatend p711)

BECOME OTHER: Argan Argar (power listed in HQ description of the cult).

BENSION:  Deezola.

BIND WIND: Orlanth

BLACK BREATH: Moorgarki (from Troll Gods)

BLOOD FEAST and BLOOD RED: Basko (from Troll Gods)

BREATH LIFE INTO ART: Sestartes (A hero artist mention in Esrolia: Land of 10K Gods).

CALL ON STARS: Polaris.

CALL SHANASSE:  Polaris?

CALM WATERS: Choralinthur.

CANCEL LIGHT: Moorgarki (From Troll Gods).

CAPTAIN SOULS: Polaris 

CLEAR SIGHT: Sun Hawk.

CREATE BRIDGE: Hwarin Dalthiippa.

CREATE WHIRLVISH: Gargarth,

CYCLICAL CHARACTERISTIC: Red Goddess

DAUGHTER"S ROAD: Hwarin Dalthippa.

DEAD PLACE FERRY: Father of Independents.

DETECTION BLANK: Cacodemon.

DIAMOND EDGE: Caladra and Aurelion.

DIVERT FIRE:  Oakfed?  Lodrili?  Caladra and Aurelion?

DIVINATION BLOCK: Lanbril.

DROWN: Wachaza (from Gods of Glorantha)

EARTH SHIELD: Orlanth, Babeester Gor.

EARTH TOUCH: Pamalt.

EARTHWARM: Lodril.

ENCHANT INSTRUMENT: Caladra and Aurelion.

ENTRHALL: Vivamort.

ENTRANCE: Donandar.

EUPHORIA: Glamour.

Continuing in a new post.

Edited by metcalph

Continuing from past post.

FEED GHOSTS: Cannibal Cult.

FIREDWELL: Caladra and Aurelion.,

FIRELIGHT:  Caladra and Aurelion? (it's not listed in the Cult Compendium).

FIRESHIELD: Zola Fel.

FLAMESWORD: Gerlant.

FLASH FLOOD: Oslira.

FLEETFOOT: Jmijie.

FROST: Valind.

FURNACE FIRE: Gustbran

GHOST DART: the Ghost Darters of Prax.

GOLDEN FLEECE: Heler

GREAT LEAP: Frog Woman.

GROUP DANCE: Donandar.

HARMONIZE Donandar

HARMONY:  A head-scratcher this!  Might be Ernalda but no, there's the Inviolable Runespell which is associated with her.  There's also the Three Bean Circus but their spell is much bigger.

HARMONIUM:  Sounds Lunar.  Probably Deezola.

HURLING: Vaneekara (a daughter of Kyger Litor).

HUMOUR: Sounds like Talor the Laughing Warrior.

INSPIRATION: Ourania.

INSPIRE LOVE: Uleria

INVISIBILITY: Annilla.

MINDRIDGE: Caladra and Aurelion.

MOLD ROCK: Flintnail.

MOUNTAIN LEAP: Orlanth and Mastakos.

NIGHTMARE: Jakaleel.

POWER DRAIN: Vivamort.

To be continued.

Editted: Added Humour.

Edited by metcalph

Continuing from previous posts:

RAPTURE:  Red Goddess

SCUM: Murthdrya?

SHOOTING STAR: Yelorna

SILVER TRACK: Yelorna.

SKY SIGHT: Polaris

SMOLDERING REBELLION: Lodril.

SMOKE CLOUD:  Umm...

SOUL SPEAR;  Err...

SPAWN CRWALING HAND: Pocharngo,

SPROUT ARMS: Yara Aranis.

SPRYNESS:  I would have thought Mastakos but we already have a version of it.  So perhaps Jmigie?

STARBRIGHT: Polaris?

STARSIGHT:  There is already a Catseye for Yelmalio so it's not him.  Buserian is a possibility.

STARWARDS: Yelorna.

SUMMON ICE NYMPH: Inora.

TAMBOUR: Hombobbum (from Troll Gods).

TERRIFY HORSE: Yara Aranis

UNISONANCE: Caladra and Aurelion.

UNITY:  Uleria.

VESPER: Artmal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eff said:

I'm not sure if this is an oversight or intentional, but most of the bodily transformation magics say "target" rather than "caster", suggesting they can be used to transform people other than the caster. (There are a few that do say "caster", including Transform Self, and I'm assuming that cult limitations hold for all of them even if not explicitly spelled out.) This suggests that Hsunchen don't all have to have 8 Rune Points stocked up to change shape. 

please add his to the corrections thread if you haven't already.

5 hours ago, metcalph said:

HARMONY:  A head-scratcher this!  Might be Ernalda but no, there's the Inviolable Runespell which is associated with her.  There's also the Three Bean Circus but their spell is much bigger.

Harmony in the RQG rulebook is the old Harmonize, provided by Donandar. Is it back to Harmnize, then?

Edited by Akhôrahil

4 hours ago, Brootse said:

The main use I can think for it is to make searching for spell effects easier.

Single point of spell reference is a big plus in my mind (vs. was that spell in GoG v1 or GoG v2 or RQG or the Bestiary or some other book?).

There was also a really good suggestion in @Crelfirst look at RBOM: First Impressions — “The Red Book of Magic” – Akhelas specifically:

you’re new-ish to RuneQuest and Glorantha, you don’t know anything outside the corerulebook (or the slipcase set), and you want to make use of this book. What do you do?

Here’s what I suggest: make up your own cults. Pick an Elemental Rune and a Power or Form Rune, and choose three spells each associated with those cults. Then, mash ’em together and make up a story based on the general theme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Brootse said:

The main use I can think for it is to make searching for spell effects easier.

Dom Twist pointed out in the Other Place that about 90% of the rules lookups at his table are spell-related. This is a phenomenally useful reference text if you're actually playing the game, and will become more so when there are cults in play that weren't in the core rules.

• Like 4

Switch Places looks cool at first sight, but relies on having produced an Illusory Sight of the caster.

Illusory Sight covers a volume of SIZ 3, so a typical adventurer of SIZ 12 would need to know Illusory Sight 4 before they could Switch Places.

I suppose one could reduce the SIZ required by placing the illusory sight behind an obstruction of some sort? Or would that be cheating? 

Since illusion magic is essentially cheating to begin with, manipulating to the utmost it is probably OK.

• Haha 1