What rules do you use from other editions?

Deanjday

40 minutes ago, Deanjday said:

I'm intrested in those playing Runequest Glorantha, what if any rules or house rules do you use from other editions of Runequest? And what made you use those rules for your campaign? 

I use mostly RQ3 rules. I did not like a lot of the changes made. My players did not want to learn another set of rules as well.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Generally none.  I've been quite happy with what's in RQG (and have been running RQG games for 4 years now).

Mostly the same because I didn’t really get to play a lot of the earlier editions - I mostly transitioned to RQG from Pendragon

None. I playtest stuff for RQG, I write stuff for RQG, it'd be confusing and counterproductive to bring in other rules. Also, RQG is light and flexible enough that I can easily make up my own subsystems when I need them (e.g. for heroquest stations).

I miss some things from RQ3 (e.g. Fixed INT), but can understand why incorporating them wasn't a priority.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 10:45 PM, Deanjday said:

I'm intrested in those playing Runequest Glorantha, what if any rules or house rules do you use from other editions of Runequest? And what made you use those rules for your campaign? 

As with many above, mostly none. However I still use the Treasure Factor system from Classic RQ, dividing all monetary values by 10 (per the RQG conversion rules) or even 100. I wrote a simple LiveCode interface to do most of the boring stuff. For RQG, the crystal section is in the GM screen pack. Using the jewellery / gem descriptions changes the treasure perception. Players, when told that it's excellent jewellery or often consider gifting it, or with a flawed gemstone throwing it or giving it away.

Edited by David Scott
corrected Twine to Livecode

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

16 hours ago, Deanjday said:

We're not incorporating rules from prior editions. We have 'house rules' to tweak aspects of RQG to suit us but we did that in the past too. 

Our experience thus far (being only recent returnees to role-playing) is that we are forgetting to incorporate some of the rather wonderful new aspects of RQG like Passions and Runic Inspiration. Also, remembering that Rune Magic is not one-use. We simply don't have muscle memory for those elements of RQG yet. So it's not that we aren't intending to use them - we simply have to make a more conscious effort to remember that they are there. RQG is the best edition yet - I can't think of an aspect of prior versions that I would grandfather.

Edited by RandomNumber

I use the shield stats from RQ3.

Shields and weapon hafts are temporary things. They can be ruined in fight, which is why they have AP in the first place. But few referees use the statistic or technique.

In the real world, there isn't a shield made that would take a max damage strike from a two handed sword without buckling. You can see this played out in cinematic fashion in 'The 13th Warrior'. And since all editions of RQ include the Repair spell, I see no reason why shields and axe hafts shouldn't be legitimate targets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I miss some things from RQ3 (e.g. Fixed INT), but can understand why incorporating them wasn't a priority.

Interesting. Why do you miss FixedINT? It seemed to be the most reviled thing about magic (primarily sorcery) in RQ3.

SDLeary

6 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Interesting. Why do you miss FixedINT? It seemed to be the most reviled thing about magic (primarily sorcery) in RQ3.

That's Free INT. Which RQG has kept (I think: we don't really "do" sorcery at my table, but I think I saw it in that chapter of the rules we don't ever need to refer to).

Fixed INT was what unintelligent creatures got. It was kinda nifty. But once the authors had decided to go all out for RQ2 compatibility (based on the success of the RuneQuest Classics kickstarter), patching in little bits of RQ3 that made perfect sense was an understandably low priority.

(Shrug). No skin off my nose. RQG RAW is a great game!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick Brooke said:

That's Free INT. Which RQG has kept (I think: we don't really "do" sorcery at my table, but I think I saw it in that chapter of the rules we don't ever need to refer to).

Fixed INT was what unintelligent creatures got. It was kinda nifty. But once the authors had decided to go all out for RQ2 compatibility (based on the success of the RuneQuest Classics kickstarter), patching in little bits of RQ3 that made perfect sense was an understandably low priority.

DOH! Yes... DERP!!! Brainf***!

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Well, I think most of us find the Sorcery rules to be a bit thin. Jeff has said we have 'enough' rules for it, but I'm kind of wondering if Sorcery will eventually morph into something different than it is now.

And while I am using the RQG rules as the basis for a 'sort of Atlantis' game, the basic book IS pretty frikkin' awesome.

• Like 1

RQG. For me it’s the best of the rest. It’s been well thought  through and IMO has polished off the RuneQuest rule set very nicely. Going with RQ2 for strike ranks makes play much easier to track in combat, keeping  play possibilities open - A nice balance between crunch and improvisation.

The basis of combat is the most satisfying of RQ2, and RQ3. To take a few points: 

• Specials & crits are better thought through. 

• Weapon/shield damage is a satisfying compromise between RQ2, & RQ3 

• free Defensive actions keep the game flowing. But with diminishing chances after the first parry.

• Rune magic is more enjoyable 

• Sorcery is easier to use whilst retaining the original intent. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2

Maybe Hero Points, as they work really well.

I also like focussed experience, rather than haphazard rolls of everything you ticked.

Special Criticals and Hyper Criticals work for me, for historical reasons in our old campaigns.

But, that's about it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Interesting. During play, what was that fixed INT stat used for?

It differentiated animal intelligence from sentient intelligence. This could be important for creating sorcerous familiars if using Create Familiar (Intelligence)—I believe this was the name.  There were other areas where Fixed Int made a difference, in regards to magic and skills, but the decades have faded the knowledge for me, anyone?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
added a clarification thanks dd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

14 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Interesting. During play, what was that fixed INT stat used for?

Fixed INT was simply used to represent animal intelligence. In the creature book, dogs would not have a die roll for their characteristics, it would have an Fixed INT of 5.

Mythras uses Instict (INS) for animals but has a similar concept in which the "+N" value of the Instinct characteristic is pretty much what RQ3 called Fixed INT. If a type of animal has an Instinct of 2d6+5 (in Mythras), its instinct will vary from 7 to 17 but its intelligence will always be 5.

Having a Fixed INT means you cannot learn any knowledge skill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, Deanjday said:

I am 100% confident many people would have preferred this rule from Mythras, that rule from RQ3 and another from CoC 7e.  These games, and others in the BRP family, are all great games and are stronger than RQG in one area or another, or at the very least will appeal more to individual preferences. However, RQG has successfully tightly integrated the rules and the setting, and makes it an overall stronger Glorantha rpg, so adding from previous editions might be tricky. 

A) Still here are a few rules that I like and actually taking very little to no effort to implement:

1) From King Arthur Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu: Melee rounds last an elastic amount of time ranging from an instant to 10s of seconds depending on what makes sense in the narrative.

2) From RuneQuest 3: Special Melee Tactics that are missing from RQG (more specifically Close Combat), Special Knockback for special success on Crushing attack (but not slashing) and quick experience system to replace the RQG's additional experience sidebar. 

3) From RuneQuest Quickstart: If both parties roll the same level of success in an opposed roll and a tie does not make sense, whoever rolls highest win. There is still a chance for a tie if both contestant roll the same number. In that case, the contest could be given to the highest skill/characteristic or be rerolled.

B) Two things I prefer from other games but require more fiddling:

1) From the Big Golden Book: How the strike ranks flow in a melee round without the constraint of only one attack per MR. With this, you can remove extra rules like two-weapon combat and splitting attacks.

2) From Mythras: A more granular progression of damage modifier... but not quite. STR+SIZ 25-28 = +1d2; 29-32 = +1d4; 33-36 = +1d6; 37-40 = +1d8.   

C) Other stuff that I like:

Call of Cthulhu introduced several good innovations but I mostly like them for CoC and some of them I feel would have changed RQ too much.

• I quite like Pushed Rolls and could totally use them in RQ.
  • Movement. Movement in RQG is not well explained and its relation with Strike Ranks is a bit bizarre.  It's only by reading CoC that I finally understood what a movement unit really meant and why a horse only has 12 while a human has 8 (in short, each unit is roughly 1.5 faster than the previous one). I like how the relation between CON, DEX and SIZ can modify Move by +/- 1. However, this is fairly useless unless the chase rules are adapted accordingly (either by stealing CoC chase rules or by increasing the modifier % for each Move increment in the RQG) 

There are quite few things I prefer in Runequest 3. However, reintroducing them in RQG is quite involved so short of simply using RQ3 and bolting the few extras of RQG, it's too much effort.

• I prefer how skill category modifiers are calculated in RQ3, it avoids breakpoints at 13, 17 and 21, but the method used by RQG has the benefit of creating modifiers in increment of 5 which is easier to calculate on the fly.
  • I also prefer the Movement rules but because they also change the value of the attribute (MOV 3 meters instead of MOV 8 units), I figure it is easier to stay aligned to RQG but with the benefit of CoC's explanation.
  • In addition, I prefer how HP are calculated but again, it's a preference and how RQG does it also work. 
Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 3