Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

23 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Surely she offers the Summon Geese rune magic spell?

Imarja in all likelihood is another name for Glorantha, a deity that only deities can likely commune with.  Or perhaps it is another name for the Invisible God(dess).

At times of crisis, she seems to offer something, but it is not at the level of accessible Rune magic.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Then, rather, a subcult of a more accessible god based around an Imarjan intervention in that god(dess)'s myths might offer Summon Geese?

If you want Summon Geese, then I'd add Isbarn the Goose Girl as a subcult of Ernalda.  

Imarja's "interactions" include the goddesses sacrificing and cutting up Imarja (the Three Houses story); the "revelation" of the Egg in the Pillow (the script on the stones that is the Nochet Charter); and the sacrifice of the feminine at the hands of the Three Bad Men.  

Imarja is the principle of feminine creation and sacrifice - she really works on a much more mystical level.  

14 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

is that pronouced notch-it or is it pronounced no-chit?

Given that it was based on Greg saying "not yet", I pronounce it "notch-(y)et"

Pronunciations of it vary. Last I heard Greg say the name to me during a phone call it was more like "Nah-chet". In the end, say it how you like.

Edited by Rick Meints

47 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

what about another less than accessible goddess: Arachne Solara.

In The Smoking Ruins & Other Stories, several of the beast men have Rune points associated with Arachne Solara. She appears to give Rune magic and a variety of spells.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 5:07 AM, Crel said:

In The Smoking Ruins & Other Stories, several of the beast men have Rune points associated with Arachne Solara. She appears to give Rune magic and a variety of spells.

I believe the Beast Valley worship at the Wild Temple is notable exception for Arachne Solara.

23 minutes ago, Fred said:

I hope they proofread the two volumes meticulously. I saw a review complaining on typos of Berlin - WIcked City on amazon, and couldn't help but fear that a strategy is to improve as they go along, on later reprints. But this is such a huge investment for people.

It’s good for early PDF, questionable otherwise.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:
3 hours ago, Fred said:

I hope they proofread the two volumes meticulously. I saw a review complaining on typos of Berlin - WIcked City on amazon, and couldn't help but fear that a strategy is to improve as they go along, on later reprints. But this is such a huge investment for people.

It’s good for early PDF, questionable otherwise.

Microsoft Word has a spell checker and a grammar checker. Just saying.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Microsoft Word has a spell checker and a grammar checker. Just saying.

Ant yurt sum miss steaks don't get cot.

Edited by g33k
Lack of typos
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Fred said:

I hope they proofread the two volumes meticulously.

Gloranthan sourcebooks typically get a public proof-read step, between the release of the PDF and the printing of the books. Most mistakes that went past editors are usually fixed then. AFAIK only, CoC sourcebooks (like Berlin) didn't get this extra proof-read until recently (the Malleus Monstrorum had it, for instance).

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

54 minutes ago, Fred said:

... a shot to voice opinions around lack of clarity, balancing and such. There’s a passionate crowd around some of the cults. I suspect they are real worshippers, not just playing them.

I do not believe this stage (RQ calls it the "tribal edit" I am guessing CoC will have a "cultic edit") allows for substantive revisions.

It's really aimed at catching typos, etc -- "Pretty sure the Wicked City isn't called Bernil," discrepant dates, odd calculations in stat-blocks, etc.

Major re-phrasing, rebalancing encounters, etc... Not so much.  When text changes that much, you risk changing the flow of layout, introducing widows/orphans, disconnecting boxed text & tables from the core content they reference, etc etc etc.  This could cost a LOT of time & money.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

49 minutes ago, g33k said:

Major re-phrasing, rebalancing encounters, etc... Not so much.  When text changes that much, you risk changing the flow of layout, introducing widows/orphans, disconnecting boxed text & tables from the core content they reference, etc etc etc.  This could cost a LOT of time & money.

Yes, I wasn't clear enough, but these tribal edit threads are indeed only for typos, since that's what Fred was worried about.... at least at first.

Note that some publishers (usually the much smaller/indie ones) do have a more substantive tribal edit, where they send a raw, non laid-out PDF (basically straight out of Word or Pages). But this is getting near the territory of full-fledged playtests, which is an altogether different beast.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Just now, lordabdul said:

... Note that some publishers (usually the much smaller/indie ones) do have a more substantive tribal edit, where they send a raw, non laid-out PDF (basically straight out of Word or Pages) ...

I am agitating for Chaosium to do something like this for the Gods duology.  I have no idea of Chaosium has even noticed; they haven't addressed the notion, that I recall seeing.

Sell the basic doc -- just the text, pre-art / pre-layout -- for full PDF price, with their usual policies of "can d/l new copy when the the PDF changes/updates" and also "full credit toward purchase of hardcopy."  So, exactly like their regular PDF sale policy, no change needed.

One thing that may need to be different:  advertise it as "pre-release, art-free, text-only," etc.  Mark the doc itself clearly... "Zero-Art release" etc.  Set the expectations to minimize upset customers; but get the text into the customers' hands!

I see it as a win-win...

For Chaosium, they get to begin monetizing (much!) sooner.  Money NOW is (much!) better than money LATER.  They also get a much larger window for the Tribal Edit.  The duology is a MUCH bigger product, and I expect the Grognardia to really dig into this 'un!

For the customers, they get the content to use & play NOW.  More than one person has said their group just aren't playing RQG -- at all -- because the corebook Deities and Cults are insufficient (I admit to finding that a bit hyperbolic... but I'm actually rather sympathetic to the idea that there are MAJOR holes in RQG's cults).  Also, the customers get that much longer window on the Tribal Edit... as noted, there's a lot more passion -- even rabidity -- in many of the RQ grognards who contribute to Tribal Edit threads, and they CARE about this stuff.  Giving them enough time to do a thorough job will make them much happier!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

I am agitating for Chaosium to do something like this for the Gods duology.  I have no idea of Chaosium has even noticed; they haven't addressed the notion, that I recall seeing.

Sell the basic doc -- just the text, pre-art / pre-layout -- for full PDF price, with their usual policies of "can d/l new copy when the the PDF changes/updates" and also "full credit toward purchase of hardcopy."  So, exactly like their regular PDF sale policy, no change needed.

One thing that may need to be different:  advertise it as "pre-release, art-free, text-only," etc.  Mark the doc itself clearly... "Zero-Art release" etc.  Set the expectations to minimize upset customers; but get the text into the customers' hands!

I see it as a win-win...

For Chaosium, they get to begin monetizing (much!) sooner.  Money NOW is (much!) better than money LATER.  They also get a much larger window for the Tribal Edit.  The duology is a MUCH bigger product, and I expect the Grognardia to really dig into this 'un!

For the customers, they get the content to use & play NOW.  More than one person has said their group just aren't playing RQG -- at all -- because the corebook Deities and Cults are insufficient (I admit to finding that a bit hyperbolic... but I'm actually rather sympathetic to the idea that there are MAJOR holes in RQG's cults).  Also, the customers get that much longer window on the Tribal Edit... as noted, there's a lot more passion -- even rabidity -- in many of the RQ grognards who contribute to Tribal Edit threads, and they CARE about this stuff.  Giving them enough time to do a thorough job will make them much happier!

I am not going to do that. Art is well advanced and as far as I am concerned that is a key part of the book. We've moved past the point I am interested in circulating the manuscript outside of a core circle (plus those who bought previous manuscripts at GenCon). The book should be out in PDF form early next year.

But I will show off a WIP picture:

Jeff

Capture d’écran 2020-07-30 à 13.51.36.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1