Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

An addition to the list on the 1st page of the thread:

"Elf pack", being worked on by Shannon Appelcline (obviously!), who reckons he'll finish the writing in a couple of months time. More detail in his latest Patreon newsletter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, Brian Duguid said:

An addition to the list on the 1st page of the thread:

"Elf pack", being worked on by Shannon Appelcline (obviously!), who reckons he'll finish the writing in a couple of months time. More detail in his latest Patreon newsletter.

@Steve
Oooo!  This is one I've been noticing for a while -- Shannon has been teasing it various places -- but never noticed it wasn't on the Top-Post of the thread!

(edit - I see you already did it!  you ninja, you!)

Edited by g33k
ninja'ed
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2015 at 12:01 PM, Steve said:

Cults Book and Prosopaedia - 100 long cult write-ups in two volumes

I'm not clear from this latest Chaosium post whether we are now to expect a two-volume Cults of Glorantha, and a separate Gloranthan Prosopaedia?

https://www.chaosium.com/blogartist-katrin-dirim-is-the-2021-recipient-of-the-greg-stafford-memorial-award-for-gloranthan-fandom/?fbclid=IwAR3TD0WIzauWXZWa4JrV8D4QYfke8TsNSiAEtt-OzJ5wucUZ6v70BeLNUbg

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

35 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

I'm not clear from this latest Chaosium post whether we are now to expect a two-volume Cults of Glorantha, and a separate Gloranthan Prosopaedia?

https://www.chaosium.com/blogartist-katrin-dirim-is-the-2021-recipient-of-the-greg-stafford-memorial-award-for-gloranthan-fandom/?fbclid=IwAR3TD0WIzauWXZWa4JrV8D4QYfke8TsNSiAEtt-OzJ5wucUZ6v70BeLNUbg

Nothing new: one year ago:

The Cults Book is coming in a slim case, with two beautiful hard-cover volumes, plus a perfect bound soft cover Prosopaedia

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

I have no idea what Chaosium's thinking about the format is -- but Rick did say in another post that project might be either two volumes or three.  So that might be due to sheer pagecount, or the thought of splitting the two things.

But as for the terminological implications, in the old Gods of Glorantha boxset, the Cults Book was one volume, and the Prosopaedia another, much slimmer one.  And of course the earlier RQ2 Cults books, which were very largely longform cult writeups, bookended by some other material.  So if they exactly followed that pattern, you might expect three volumes, with Cults split for length, and the 'pedia split for for conceptual separateness.

1 hour ago, Łukasz Jezierski said:

But we do have some new information!

Oooo.  Hot news!  https://youtu.be/6TNMlTBsqC4?t=479 to take the liberty of time-indexing to the Gods set chase!  Though lots of juicy facts about the other upcoming material too.

I should have guessed that "slimmer" would be a very moot concept for any part of the new GoG! 😄

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Minor updates from @Jason D on Facebook group Glorantha Fans today:

Upland Marsh - manuscript complete, waiting on art

Troll and Elf packs - "somewhere in the process"

Elder races - "we're doing a new version", so perhaps in the middle-grass rather than the long grass 😉

Duck pack - "this has been discussed" - but I wouldn't add that to anyone's list!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

--

Weapons and Equipment release date - 10th December 2021 - ref: 

• Like 2

--

47 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

That's as much as we've heard.  Somewhere downstream from the Sartar box and the Cults books.

And potentially also from the Esrolian, Lunar Tarsh, Grazelands, Prax and Heortland homeland books, Newer Elder Races, the GM's book, and the Dragon's Eye, if one can infer anything by way of Krakenology from things that Jason namechecked, and things he didn't.  Which might be a fair-sized "if", given the number of "eventuallies" that was sprinkled with...

16 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Per Jeff: "We got rid of the Sun County serfs. Greg and I were playing around with how Sun County might work in WF 15 but we weren't looking at things holistically. There is a whole Sun County book coming out which is far more useful."

Does anyone know when the Sun County book may come out?

While we are happy to talk about how far along a project is in development, please do not ask us "when".  That said, the book is still being written, and has not gone to art or layout yet, so I know it is at least a year away from being ready, if not far longer.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

LOL, I have followed RQ since the 80's. I have some of the first prints of the fanzines and the old softcover books. I would always ask when and wait in anticipation. When? When I was in high school, when I was at University, when I lived in Tokyo, then I'd have anything I could get sent to me there, it was like I was waiting for my next drug fix. I recall being asked once, what it was I was reading on a limited express train to central Tokyo (Tales of the Reaching Moon, Issue 15 with a nice looking broo on the cover) that was back in the mid to late 90's...

I have not changed I will still want and need more material.

Am I a bad person to wish for new material before the rework of the old stuff? I'd rather see material on Esrolian, Grazelands, the Dragon's Eye but mostly Heortland or say a Sartar homeland book released before a New Elder Races or a GM's book? Sun County in Sartar would be really nice... but I'd be less thrilled to see another cults book?

Over the years I have been exasperated waiting for the end of the Wheel of Time to come along or say the Doors of Stone but I will keep asking when, its in my blood!

Thank you to those who keep plugging away at it! I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Am I a bad person to wish for new material before the rework of the old stuff? I'd rather see material on Esrolian, Grazelands, the Dragon's Eye but mostly Heortland or say a Sartar homeland book released before a New Elder Races or a GM's book? Sun County in Sartar would be really nice... but I'd be less thrilled to see another cults book?

"Rework" might be a little unkind for those.  Clearly there's going to be a ton of new stuff in CoG.  The elder races pub presumably will be considerably too, given that ER was a pretty slim book, and apparently a chunk of it has already re-reappeared in the Bestiary.

39 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Over the years I have been exasperated waiting for the end of the Wheel of Time to come along or say the Doors of Stone but I will keep asking when, its in my blood!

Well, by the Law in the Letter, you can still ask Rick if any of the things higher up your want-list are out of "still being written" or onto art or indeed layout, or where or in which part of the pipeline they might be...  And he might actually tell you those things!  Think less of these events as occurring in future Time, and more in terms of Hero Plane maps...

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Totally wasn't intending to be unkind!

I will take anything I can get, recall I am a RQ Junkie. I even have the old Judges Guild RQ stuff, Broken Tree Inn, Hell Pits, Duck Pond... Its all good to me. Just being selfish for my own desires.

Keep it coming Sirs and thank you for the RQ Renaissance.

I also have the old Judges Guild stuff. It is the best modules I have found to introduce RQ to new players. Quick and easy for the RQM (RuneQuest Master) set up and run a game. One session or several. Easy for the players (and RQM) to understand the basics of play and system. You only need the main rule book with the modules. (RQII)

Duck Pond

Duck Tower

Broken Tree Inn

City of Lei Tabor

And of course the deadlist of the modules "Hellpits of Nightfang" where I tell new players that unlike most other fantasy RPG's Low level characters have almost no chance of resurrection. And someone usually challenges that.

Edited by Ethereal

On 11/22/2021 at 5:10 AM, Ethereal said:

I also have the old Judges Guild stuff. It is the best modules I have found to introduce RQ to new players. Quick and easy for the RQM (RuneQuest Master) set up and run a game. One session or several. Easy for the players (and RQM) to understand the basics of play and system. You only need the main rule book with the modules. (RQII)

Duck Pond

Duck Tower

Broken Tree Inn

City of Lei Tabor

And of course the deadlist of the modules "Hellpits of Nightfang" where I tell new players that unlike most other fantasy RPG's Low level characters have almost no chance of resurrection. And someone usually challenges that.

I know that some of the Judges Guild books was available in their 1979/1980 glory at Drivethru, but can´t find them anymore.

I would love to see them updated to RQG ruleswise AND at the same time updated to fit into canon 1625/1627 Glorantha. 

Edited by AndreJarosch

7 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

I know that some of the Judges Guild books was available in their 1979/1980 glory at Drivethru, but can´t find them anymore.

I would love to see them updated to RQG ruleswise AND at the same time updated to fit into canon 1625/1627 Glorantha. 

Judges Guild got kicked off DrivethruRPG last year because of the actions of Bob Bledsaw the second and third (the son and grandson of the founder who died in 2008 and from what I could see did not seem to share their beliefs). I won't go into details but a quick google should help out. It is a shame as I would quite like to pick up their Runequest duck books but really don't want to give them money at all and they seem pretty pricey on ebay.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, glassneedles said:

I won't go into details but a quick google should help out. It is a shame as I would quite like to pick up their Runequest duck books but really don't want to give them money at all and they seem pretty pricey on ebay.

Aw, that ruins an already sucky day. You have good sense so I will definitely look at this, as JG products made a young hobbyist quite happy many decades ago!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

54 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Aw, that ruins an already sucky day. You have good sense so I will definitely look at this, as JG products made a young hobbyist quite happy many decades ago!

Sorry Bill! Yeah it’s not good news at all but if it’s any conciliation from what I read at the time (and recall now) the original Bob didn’t have these views. So I wouldn’t consider the products in a different light just that buying them now gives money to people who I’d (and I’m 100% sure you from the conversations we’ve had) would not like to support. 

edited to change the speculation on Bills reaction as in hindsight it wasn’t firm enough and I don’t want Bill to think I’d even consider he’d support that type of stuff. 

Edited by glassneedles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, glassneedles said:

Judges Guild got kicked off DrivethruRPG last year because of the actions of Bob Bledsaw the second and third (the son and grandson of the founder who died in 2008 and from what I could see did not seem to share their beliefs). I won't go into details but a quick google should help out. It is a shame as I would quite like to pick up their Runequest duck books but really don't want to give them money at all and they seem pretty pricey on ebay.

My word but that's some super-horrific stuff.  And the RPG industry has seen its share, so you'd think we'd be numbed to the shock by now...  but no.

Very sad.

• Like 1