Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

34 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hm well, this photo goes back to the days when they employed a couple of RQ greats, Rudy Kraft and Paul Jaquays (and one would hope have been a little more open minded).

Hopefully Bob B. #1 didn't hold quite such appalling views as Jr (and JrJr?).  Or at least he had the wit to keep any such a little more to himself, if he did.

I am sorry to hear about Judges Guild products. But on another note it brings up other information that I have observed over the years on copyright and trademarks. There has been legal wrangling on several Game systems. Jeff Dee and Jack Herman vs. Fantasy Games Unlimited and more recent Tracy Hicks and Margret Weissman vs. WoTC (Hasbro) on Dragonlance. (Hasbro was also the Copyright/Trademark {+/-) holder during the Runequest hiatus). There were others, but I seem to remember that one of the discoveries made a point of stating that a game system could not be copyrighted, but created names, places, maps, worlds, name of spells, etc are the exclusive rights of the creators/publishers. I am not a lawyer, so if you do decide to do something about what I am thinking, make sure you do your own research on the subject. Or follow the guide lines of whichever rules system's SRD you choose to do this in. That would include publishers Guidelines. 

Judges Guild RQ Adventures followed a very simple pattern. Their products supplied the DM/Players a map marked with locations by letters/numbers, which corresponded with descriptions which had treasures, encounters (pre-rolled) with additional treasures/encounters that the DM would roll before each adventure fleshing out the players 'Heroes Journey'. When you check out many of the early Dungeons and Dragons adventures you find some of this same pattern.

For anyone who does not have any old modules or does not want to buy new ones, you may check out Dragonfoot website: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/ Modules are free, there are no D100 modules listed, but there are a few alternate type character sheets. Also blank map sheets to use to map your own Campaign.

Judges Guild Pattern.

The pattern usually follows:

Map. Buildings, local area (forest/plaza/road, etc.)

Marked with letter/number: J-1, B-5, etc. on map.

Followed with a section on Corresponding letters/numbers with either nothing or pre-positioned treasure, encounter or a few times a trap. At the back there was listing of random encounters or treasures that the DM could place where the DM wished. The DM could also place new spells, treasures or creatures of their creation.

A great resource for beginning Dungeon Masters/Rune Masters is the Mythras Encounter Generator: https://mythras.skoll.xyz/ which allows you to create encounters and creatures prior to running an adventure. Or take an existing module, find a similar creature/monster/race and create a corresponding encounter.

If anyone reading this wishes to add an observation that I missed please add, as I like to learn and get feedback on how accurate it is. Thanks.

Edited by Ethereal
Spelling

On 1/8/2022 at 6:54 PM, Diana Probst said:

The God Learners podcast recently broke news of a Culbrea RQG book, written by some of the Beer With Teeth crew, that's in the process of being submitted to Chaosium - the final MS is probably getting handed over this week.

Great news !

I have been working for some time on the Elk clan as a good place to begin a campaign for new characters. I can't wait to see what you say about the Culbrea tribe.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mountpain said:

Oh great, another Sartar book. Can't wait for that. Totally not going to lose hope in ever seeing any chance of literally anything non-orlanthi coming out ever. 

I will eat a shoe if a Lunar Empire book comes out before 2030.

Can we pick the shoe? 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Mountpain said:

Oh great, another Sartar book. Can't wait for that. Totally not going to lose hope in ever seeing any chance of literally anything non-orlanthi coming out ever. 

I will eat a shoe if a Lunar Empire book comes out before 2030.

As far as i understand the situation Sartar had to be written up in detail, in order to let other authors write scenarios based upon these facts. Now that the basic informations are written (written, not published) the main author (Jeff) can move on detailing other regions (Esrolia, Tarsh,.. The Lunar Empire...). 

15 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

As far as i understand the situation Sartar had to be written up in detail, in order to let other authors write scenarios based upon these facts. Now that the basic informations are written (written, not published) the main author (Jeff) can move on detailing other regions (Esrolia, Tarsh,.. The Lunar Empire...). 

In fact, we've got Heortland/Hendrikiland complete and just waiting for editing.

Grazelands was underway but the author had some life issues and we'll have to see what can be done to get it moving again. 

Finally, we have Prax and Esrolia books in the works and I just issued a contract for Lunar Tarsh.

Kralorela is done but needs some editing and a bit more work to get it framed in context with the rest of the game line, as it was done quite early. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Jason D said:

In fact, we've got Heortland/Hendrikiland complete and just waiting for editing.

Grazelands was underway but the author had some life issues and we'll have to see what can be done to get it moving again. 

Finally, we have Prax and Esrolia books in the works and I just issued a contract for Lunar Tarsh.

Kralorela is done but needs some editing and a bit more work to get it framed in context with the rest of the game line, as it was done quite early. 

Sounds good. Here's hoping the Prax book has more info on the minor tribes. I want to be a unique special snowflake (just like everyone else 🤣).

"We're all individuals!"

I did get the Rough Guide to Glamour and Citizens of the Lunar Empire from DriveThru RPG and those have lots of good info on the Lunartarians.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well, it's true that we need a solid canon sourcebook on the Lunar Empire.

Esrolia is getting a lot of mention in the game, so that needs to be done as well.

A Return to Prax would be welcome. I'd like to see more about the minor tribes and some coverage on the major tribes that don't get a lot of detail [the Pygmies, Pol Joni, the much-maligned Morokanth, etc.]. But a sourcebook on Prax really ought to include something on the Orlanthi who settled the River of Cradles beyond just Garhound family and the status of the Lunar settlers of the Grantlands.... there were an awful lot of these folks who were just farmers, and not Lunar Occupation forces.

Heortland is nice, but not central to the narrative.

I was interested in the Grazelands as a homeland, but I guess that'll have to wait.

I feel a certain 'meh' about Tarsh, but that'll probably change once we start getting some more info.

Kralorela is a sideshow to the main Hero Wars story. It would interesting in a canon-junkie sort of way, but I'd rather see an RQG update on the Elder Races [Aldryami, Mostali, Trolls, and Dragonewts] first. While we already have the stats in the RQ Bestiary, some discussion on the roles they're playing in the Hero Wars would be welcome.

And somewhere in the distant future, I suppose someone will get around to Ralios and the West.

And we've heard nothing about moving the storyline forwards yet.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, svensson said:

And somewhere in the distant future, I suppose someone will get around to Ralios and the West.

It's not a sourcebook, but Men of the West on Jonstown Compendium has a lot more information than you might think on this area (and so far as I can see pretty much all compliant with "canon"), and I found the history in particular easier to follow and digest than what is in the Guide.

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, svensson said:

So do we have a sort of definitive, almost solid, seriously approximate date for Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha yet?

Soonish.

Or, as someone I knew at Uni replied when asked if his thesis was ready, "On the Cosmic Scale, it is imminent".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 2/11/2022 at 1:19 AM, svensson said:

So do we have a sort of definitive, almost solid, seriously approximate date for Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha yet?

Welp, my reply was superseded a few hours later...  So I edited it out!

Edited by g33k
obsolete info

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/11/2022 at 3:19 AM, svensson said:

I think in an interview Jeff mentioned it'd be near the end of Q2, but don't take that as gospel. I'm setting my expectations for the late holiday season just in case.

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

We are trying to get it printed this year.

Thanks, Rick.

I know that between supply chain issues, political drama between the US and China, COVID, and other hassles, it's like wrestling a bear for you guys. I'm not asking for anything graven in stone, just a theoretical so I can keep my geek money ready....

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 6:55 AM, svensson said:

Thanks, Rick.

I know that between supply chain issues, political drama between the US and China, COVID, and other hassles, it's like wrestling a bear for you guys. I'm not asking for anything graven in stone, just a theoretical so I can keep my geek money ready....

Will sooooo much RQG books in the pipeline you should ALWAYS try to have some geek money in reserve. 🙂

• Haha 1